Go Back   EarthSong Forums > The Arts > Visual Arts

Visual Arts Visual arts: For all the painters, sculptors, sketchers, and others working in or simply appreciating these mediums.

Old 10-20-15   #1
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

Default Comic books and graphic novels

I dithered for a long time on where to put this thread. But then I figured, wordless comic books/graphic novels are still comic books and graphic novels, but artless ones are just . . . prose.

So, let's talk about graphic works we read. Got a pull list? Stuff you can't stand to miss? Stuff you'll pick up in a trade or grab at the library but don't feel compelled to keep up with?

I'm especially interested in works that feel particularly "Pagan" to people. Some titles certainly have that flavor, and it's not always the ones we expect. Any works that have influenced your spirituality?

Let's just geek out about comic books together, 'kay?
Old 10-21-15   #2
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Default Re: Comic books and graphic novels

I have read a sparse few comics, mostly when I was really young. Now I really wish I kept them..sigh. I did buy my husband the Walking Dead collection.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15   #3
Sollie

I sadly don't read too many American comic books, but I can talk manga any day of the week.

There is one that my friend and I were discussing the other day. It's called "Bone". I remember reading it in Disney Adventure Magazine when I was younger, and now it's completed. He loved it, and it definitely had made a lasting impression on me, even if the details are very fuzzy. (The chapters I read, I vaguely remember a woman and her grandma, using cows as horses, and the three bone brothers got separated lol).

I haven't read them yet, but "Avatar: The Last Airbender" has been continued as graphic novels, and I'd like to get my hands on them.

Eat early, then eat pizza rolls when at home.
Sollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15   #4
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Watchmen and V For Vendetta are staple favourites of mine.. and I'm working my way through Sandman as we speak. The latter feels quite pagan-y and spiritual to me and I believe the writing to be magical.

I'm also still looking into maybe getting the The Walking Dead compendiums, as I've heard good stuff about those and I love the show. I also have Buffy's season 8 in library editions -- I don't like buying single editions of comics and will generally wait out the editions that combine a few in one.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-15   #5
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

Has anyone read The Wicked + The Divine? It's an Image title by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie. The premise is that every 90 years, 12 deities incarnate in human forms, spend two years whipping the world into a frenzy of devotion and belief, and then die.

It isn't my thing (I wish it were, because I adore McKelvie's art), but my wife is completely addicted, and it's hella Pagan (or at least polytheistic).
Old 10-22-15   #6
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

Right now, for financial reasons, I'm mostly reading stuff in trades. The only title I have to read in floppies (both because I'm an addict and because the publisher is notoriously awful about getting trades out in a timely manner) is Lumberjanes (Grace Ellis, Brooke Allen, Shannon Watters, et al.). I cannot possibly recommend it highly enough. It's about a group of girls at a summer camp that's constantly being beset by supernatural creatures. The representation in terms of race, orientation, and gender alignment representation is so lovely, and the writing is hilarious. The whole thing's brilliant, really.

Other ongoing titles I get excited about are:
  • Saga, Brian K Vaughan & Fiona Staples. Think Star Wars meets Romeo and Juliet.
  • Chew, John Layman & Rob Guillory. Tony Chu is a cibopath, meaning he gets impressions from the food he eats. Gloriously gory and frequently hilarious.
  • The Fuse, Antony Johnston & Justin Greenwood. Space cops. Solving space murders. In spaaaaace.
  • Trees, Warren Ellis & Jason Howard. Sort of like the Tripods for grownups.
  • Plutona, Jeff LeMire & Emi Lenox. High school kids solving a superhero-related murder. Nails the cruelties of high school with painful accuracy.
  • Sex Criminals, Matt Fraction & Chip Zdarsky. Ugh. This one is so weird to try to explain. Uh, basically these two people discover that their orgasms temporarily stop time, and they use that knowledge to rob banks. Way better than it sounds, I swear.
  • Finder, Carla Speed McNeil. How to describe Finder? A sprawling, multi-voiced dystopian epic? Yeah, that'll do.
  • Ms. Marvel, G. Willow Wilson & Kris Anka. The only Big Two title on my current list. High schooler and Captain Marvel devotee Kamala Khan suddenly develops superpowers and freaks out about it. A lot. Then she saves the world anyway.
Finished runs I love:
  • Hopeless Savages, Jen Van Meter et al. '70s punk rockers Dirk Hopeless and Nikki Savage fall in love, get married, move to the suburbs, and do not stop being punk. Hopeless Savages is the story of the utterly absurd adventures of their four kids: Rat, Arsenal, Twitch, and Zero. I call it finished, but there's a new work, called Break, coming out in November, and if you listen closely, you will hear me SCREAM with joy when I get my hands on it.
  • Hawkeye, Matt Fraction & David Aja. My "other" Big Two title. Fraction's Hawkeye run wrapped up this summer, and I miss it already. If you like your superheroes super-competent at crime-fighting and kind of a mess otherwise, you can't do better than Clint Barton and Kate Bishop.
Graphic novels (single works that were never serialized):
  • Britten & Brulightly, Hannah Berry. It's noir. It's beautiful. Berry is a UK writer/artist deeply influence by the insanely beautiful French style of graphic novel art.
  • The Undertaking of Lily Chen, Danica Novgorodoff. A young man in China must find a ghost bride for his recently deceased brother. The young woman in question has other ideas.
Old 11-04-15   #7
WolfyJames

I read mangas and watch animes. I find comic books and graphic novels quite ugly while mangas are much more pretty. And to delve into a foreign culture (japanese) is also interesting. So mangas are much more pagan than comic books and graphic novels.

One good example is Kamisama Kiss where the protagonist becomes a god and replaces the current god, and she has responsibilities as a god and she meets other gods and spirits because of her new title.

I collect mangas as well and I have around 200 volumes which can be seen here:

http://myanimelist.net/blog/Nothingness39

I've runned out of space where to put them so I plan to buy soon a media bookcase where I could keep them. Mangas are rather small, so I think buying regular bookcases they would look really odd; after making some searches on buying bookcases for mangas, it turns out mangas and DVDs are about the same size, so the idea of buying a media bookcase came up, but instead of putting DVDs in it will be mangas.

As for ongoing titles I get excited about:

- Akatsuki no Yona: I watched the anime, really loved it, read the scanlatons on the internet of the manga, and love it too, so I've started to buy the manga. It's about one spoiled princess who loses everything and who runs away with her old friend and bodygard. They're on the run and she discovers she's the reincarnation of the old dragon king of legend. So her and her friends go on adventures looking for the other dragons who were the companions of the dragon king.

- Black Butler: the protagonist is a boy who has a demon as butler who helps him in his endevours.

- Blood Lad: this story happens in hell where all the supernatural creatures are. The protagonist is a prince vampire who falls in love with a human, who then died in hell, who then tries to revive her with the help of his friends and famiily.

- Blue Exorcist: the protagonist is the son of Satan, he has a twin brother, and his circle of friends at the exorcist school where he wants to be an exorcist, just like his adopted father was. What I like is that unlike some other mangas (like Bleach), he's not overpowered and he needs the help of his friends to defeat foes.

- Devils and Realist: the protagonist is the reincarnation of the old wise kind king Solomon who, accidentally, summoned a demon in the basement. After that a bunch of demons and angels are after him. What I like is that the angels are not good and the demons are not evil.

- Fairy Tail: I saw the anime first, really loved it, so when it ended I ended reading the manga to know what happened, liked it too, ended up starting to buy the manga and I read the scanlatons. It's about a bunch of eccentrics who are friends and member of the magic guild Fairy Tail where they go on adventures.

- Knight of Sidonia: I'm a big fan of Tsutomu Nihei and I have all his mangas and Knight of Sidonia is his latest. It's about one of the ships send in space after the destruction of Earth by the gauna, and the people there who fight against the gauna.

- MPD Psycho: this is one of the most disturbing and complex manga I follow, and it's so complex that I await with excitement the time it ends so I can sit, read it and digest it.

- Noragami: Stray God: about one unlucky god of disaster who try to gain some fame and some strength. He spends his time killing bad spirits and trying to do jobs. Some human girl tries to save him after she thinks he'll get hit by a truck, but he's the one who saves her. And so they meet later. There is a lot of actions, humor, and other gods are shown in the manga as well.

- Seraph of the End: Vampire Reign: when a virus nearly kills most of the adult population, vampires show themselves and drag by force the children underground to turn them into cattle for their blood. Children who were in are orphanage manage to survive there and dream to escape, and when they do only one manages to get out while the others are killed. The kid who makes it is the protagonist who wants to take revenge on the vampires. Like Devils and Realist, the vampires are not evil and the humans are quite shady themselves.
In step with cloven hooves.............................Growing in harmony with the Earth,
And the forest song… ......................................As Her children,
.................................................. .................Protective of your Mother…

Last edited by WolfyJames; 11-04-15 at 05:10 AM.
WolfyJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15   #8
WolfyJames

I forgot to say that I also check Kamisama Kiss, a title I mentioned in my post, it's still ongoing. I really love all the characters.
In step with cloven hooves.............................Growing in harmony with the Earth,
And the forest song… ......................................As Her children,
.................................................. .................Protective of your Mother…
WolfyJames is offline   Reply With Quote