Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Egyptian Studies

Egyptian Studies A forum for discussing the Religion, Spirituality and Academia of the Ancient Egyptians

Old 11-07-10   #1
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Default Egyptian Gods Chart

http://gwydir.demon.co.uk/jo/egypt/

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10   #2
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing

Default Re: Egyptian Gods Chart

Good site, thanks!
Old 11-07-10   #3
Rapture

Since he is missing from the list, I'd like to add Ptah. God of creation, rebirth and of craftsmen. Usually shown in mummiform, and often blue.
Also, Thoth is sometimes also show as a baboon.
Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-10   #4
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Saddly there are a lot of gods / goddesses missing from that list. Can't speak for all that are listed but Bastet is not just the goddess of cats, she is either the Eye of Ra in earlier versions or the Eye of Horus in later versions. It also misses the fact she was a war goddess.

Like Gala said Ptah is also missing. His omission means that Sekor is also missing who is a god of death and a psychopomp but also tied to Ptah as a god of creation and craftsman around memphis.
Old 11-07-10   #5
Rapture

I've found a few other links. They are also obviously incomplete but have a few that are missing from the original link.

http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/gods/explore/main.html
http://www.angelfire.com/me3/egyptgoddess/Gods.html
http://www.thenileandegypt.com/deities.html

The third one has some helpful pictures.
Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10   #6
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing

Actually, now that I check the site more, Gala and Monsno are correct. The mythology seems a bit different too.
Old 11-08-10   #7
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
Saddly there are a lot of gods / goddesses missing from that list. Can't speak for all that are listed but Bastet is not just the goddess of cats, she is either the Eye of Ra in earlier versions or the Eye of Horus in later versions. It also misses the fact she was a war goddess.

Like Gala said Ptah is also missing. His omission means that Sekor is also missing who is a god of death and a psychopomp but also tied to Ptah as a god of creation and craftsman around memphis.
If you click on the name of Bastet it goes into alittle more detail, about Ra and her having the head of a lion as well...
One thing about some sites they will always be missing some info.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-10   #8
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigidrose View Post
If you click on the name of Bastet it goes into alittle more detail, about Ra and her having the head of a lion as well...
One thing about some sites they will always be missing some info.
Oh I understand that and did go into the link provided for Bastet. The thing is the front door sets the atmosphere for the whole site and making Bastet the goddess of cats starts out wrong right off the bat. It fails to show that some 40 odd gods / goddess are depicted with feline heads and that other goddess are also associated with the mumification of cats.

If anything in my opinion it would have been more correct to associate her to perfume and the Nile Delta.

I don't fault a site for missing data or in the process of gathering data. I suppose my greatest point of fault is when they use the new age personas at the expense of the historical and mythological facets of the god / goddess.