Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Wicca

Wicca for discussion of all types of Wicca

Old 06-17-12   #21
Lightdragon
pagan

Default Re: Do you think this is hypocrisy?

yeah in that one spot i agree it can be twisted. but afterwards it is can not be. and i agree many people do not read the whole bible including many people who preach on the streets for people to repent. In my Christian days i actually rebuked one guy and told him to pull out his bible to show him where. and his bible was missing the pages. That was a different topic in the Bible .

and there is a lot more laws.

Anyhow for someone to do that would be more on the lines of their Satan or a person acting as Satan in tempting them away. because it is like you said. very clear afterwards.

i have a Bible that was given to me many years ago when i was in High School. it's falling apart. but it is words are quite clear to back up your goodle search. and i read that book from the first page of Genesis to the last page of Revelations. one of the things that surprised me was that i was the only person who really studied the Bible in it's entirely outside of a priest. one of the main problems is there are a lot of inconsistencies in the Bible. not to mention that there are different Bibles and one quote may be placed later or earler in another book. depending the the translation.

As a Christian you can follow the Christ as the father and visa versa. The chapter 10 of the Book of John .specifically John10:30.

Once you are following other gods or a Goddess then that would be considered heresy and/or blasphemy. Although the following of Mary and the Saints is another matter altogether. as they are venerated NOT worshipped.

like i have seen a few Christian Wicca use Jesus and Mary as a representation of the God and Goddess. and that alone is considered blasphemy and/or heresy. Hence it is not compatible with Christianity. it's a seperate thing altogether. and of course most definitely hypocrisy.

in addition to my first post on this thread. as far people accepting Klingon Wicca. i just searched a bit on it. all they did was translate many ecclectric Wiccan rituals into the Klingon language and dress up in the TV/movie props for ritual use. although the Klingon religion was not entirely clear in the TV/movie episodes. although there was Kahless(often mispelled as Kayless due to phoenitcs.) which was a man similar to a combo of Christian Christ,King Arthur and Budda. even with the mess up in the continuity of the Klingon religion there was nothing there that said they can worship no other God/s outside of their own. then of course you have Lt.Worf say somewhere(too lazy to get the info on what episode and ST show he siad it on.) the Klingons killed their gods.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12   #22
HRH
Just me

I will say, in an effort to be on-topic for once, that I am no more or less accepting of Klingon Wicca than Christian Wicca. I don't understand either one, honestly. It boggles the mind that someone would take their religion so lightly that they would use it as a way to play dress-up for their favorite shows/movies. What I always try to remember when I get too judgmental, though, is that I don't have to understand any of it. After all, the people doing this sort of thing probably don't understand my Path, either. I don't have to understand it, because I don't have to Walk it. As long as they aren't trying to tell me I have to think their way, I can just let it be and remind myself that it's really none of my business what someone else does.

I don't think anyone is really more accepting of Klingon Wicca, though, except possibly those practicing it. The idea of Christian Wicca is abhorrent to many serious students of both religions because it's seen as a perversion of two religions. It's not just a knee-jerk rejection of Christianity, but much deeper than that. It seems like heresy from either viewpoint, Christian or Wiccan. It's offensive, to those who care about what someone else is doing. Klingon Wicca is not seen from the outside as anything serious or permanent, so it's possibly less offensive. I think we should all spend much less time being concerned with someone else's religion and more concerned with our own, personally.
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12   #23
Lightdragon
pagan

I agree.

Super-Cool Retired mod type

I did not have sex with this actress Chloe Bennett
Lightdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12   #24
PrincessKLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_2010 View Post
Today, I had a read through John Michael Greer's 'New Encyclopedia of the Occult' in the shops, and, I came across his entry for Christian Wicca, where he stated that the reaction of the wider Neo-Pagan movement has been, mainly, negative, which he pointed out was ironic, considering how there have been traditions like Klingon Wicca, which seem to be accepted with much less fuss, and I was wondering, do you think you can put a Wiccan framework around anything, like the Klingon (and I recently found a site about it today, during a Google search), and, if so, why do you think Christian Wicca isn't as accepted?, to me, I kind of think it's a hypocritical to support most other forms of Wicca, be it Klingon, Dragon, Faery, or whatever, but, react with hysteria when a Wiccan decides to worship Jesus and Mary (whether it's the Virgin or Mary Magdalene), kind of like how a Christian fundamentalist might react if you suddenly started worshipping Satan in the middle of a Church.

Why do you think there is such a hysteria when it comes to Christian themes, when so many other traditions are accepted, and defended?.

From what I experienced, it's due to some embedded bias that some people in the Wiccan and Neo Pagan community have against Christianity. Almost like are seen as an "Uncle Tom", giving in the oppressor.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12   #25
David_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightdragon View Post
Once you are following other gods or a Goddess then that would be considered heresy and/or blasphemy. Although the following of Mary and the Saints is another matter altogether. as they are venerated NOT worshipped.

like i have seen a few Christian Wicca use Jesus and Mary as a representation of the God and Goddess. and that alone is considered blasphemy and/or heresy. Hence it is not compatible with Christianity. it's a seperate thing altogether. and of course most definitely hypocrisy.
Technically, "heresy" is in the eye of the beholder, for example, Catholics once believed, and even to this day, certain very, very conservative and traditional Catholics still believe, that Protestants were "heretics", that there was only "one true Church" (i.e. the Catholic Church), and all Christians outside of that Church were "heretical and/or "destined for hell", likewise, the Greek Orthodox may consider the Catholics as heretics, and certain Protestant fundamentalists might consider both Eastern Orthodox and Catholics to be "heretical" for either revering the Pope, or praying to the Saints, being devoted to the Virgin Mary, or any number of practices and beliefs, etc. However, would we consider Protestants to be "heretics" or Catholics or Eastern Orthodox to be "heretical"?, probably not.

So, IMO, I don't think it should matter whether one Church or another believes Christian Wiccans or Christian Witches are "heretics".

Besides, being a Witch, at least to me, is about thinking for yourself, being independent, existing on the margins (literally or symbolically), challenging authority (not necessarily in an aggressive way), etc.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote