Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic > Avalonian Magic

Avalonian Magic Grail Mysteries, Arthurian studies, all magic and study related to Avalon and the Matter of Britain

Old 06-20-11   #11
ffetcher

Default Re: Avalon Within: A Sacred Journey of Myth, Mystery, and Inner Wisdom

I'll add in my vote for "Avalon of the Heart". Although as has been pointed out, some of the contents aren't backed up by the archaeology, I think they are a fairly accurate reflection of what Dion and others believed - which of course was in part influenced by her magical workings. It's also written by someone who spent a lot of time in the place.

Like everyone else so far, I haven't read Jhenah Telyndru's book, but from the Amazon blurbs and her 'blog, it documents the 'Avalonian Tradition', which I have come across before. I'll ignore a certain controversy over whether she originated the tradition or simply developed it, because that's incidental.

As to the tradition, I may just have met the wrong people, others here may know better, and I'd be interested in others' take, but I pretty much felt excluded. I'd feel very comfortable with a tradition or group exploring the feminine aspects of Avalonian magic, but this comes over as a sisterhood, and the few people I've met who are involved have made no attempt to be inclusive to men.

If the content of the book is as advertised it won't, I'm afraid, be on my wish-list. That said, it's hard to fault her scholarship and I've read and enjoyed some of her short articles in periodicals.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11   #12
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Really? How the hell could anyone understand the Arthur legend and come away thinking it was ideal for basing a matriarchal magical system on?

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Lord Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-11   #13
RoseRed
Christian Witch

Quote:
As to the tradition, I may just have met the wrong people, others here may know better, and I'd be interested in others' take, but I pretty much felt excluded. I'd feel very comfortable with a tradition or group exploring the feminine aspects of Avalonian magic, but this comes over as a sisterhood, and the few people I've met who are involved have made no attempt to be inclusive to men.
If I remember correctly, wasn't Avalon where the priestesses lived without men?
Old 06-20-11   #14
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
Not in the versions I've read. Avalon was the hideout of the Druids... y'know, that entirely male caste of magicians and bards.

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Old 06-21-11   #15
WanderingSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ruthven View Post
Not in the versions I've read. Avalon was the hideout of the Druids... y'know, that entirely male caste of magicians and bards.
Haven't you read Marion Bradley?

"My political opinions lean more and more to Anarchy (philosophically understood, meaning abolition of control not whiskered men with bombs)—or to 'unconstitutional' Monarchy"
~ J.R.R.Tolkien.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii51/sheep_023/070-2.gif

WanderingSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11   #16
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingSheep View Post
Haven't you read Marion Bradley?

...but being serious for a moment, this may be the problem. There are many 'Avalons' - I have no issue with that, it's just that Jhenah Telyndru's Avalon isn't the same as mine.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11   #17
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

As you may have noticed, I'm a bit of a purist when it comes to Arthurian stuff. I don't even like to include Lancelot because he was a late addition, never mind whatever Bradley came up with (tried to read Marion Bradley once, got bored, never tried again).

Old 06-21-11   #18
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseRed View Post
Yes.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-11   #19
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Yes.
Do any of the older sources say this? Where are you getting this from?

EDIT : It seems to originally come from Monmouth, but it should be pointed out that while Morgana (well, Morgan le fey) and her sisters rule Avalon in Vita Merlini it is not necessarily exclusively inhabited by women/priestesses.

Monmouth is always troublesome for me. He revived and created a lot of the Arthurian legend we know but he was hardly the most rigourous of scholars. Most scholarly works on Arthur I have read suggest that Avalon was an island off Wales (if it existed at all in a literal sense) and the last hideout of the Druids.

Last edited by Lord Ruthven; 06-21-11 at 10:04 AM.
Old 06-21-11   #20
WanderingSheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ruthven View Post
Do any of the older sources say this? Where are you getting this from?

EDIT : It seems to originally come from Monmouth, but it should be pointed out that while Morgana (well, Morgan le fey) and her sisters rule Avalon in Vita Merlini it is not necessarily exclusively inhabited by women/priestesses.

Monmouth is always troublesome for me. He revived and created a lot of the Arthurian legend we know but he was hardly the most rigourous of scholars. Most scholarly works on Arthur I have read suggest that Avalon was an island off Wales (if it existed at all in a literal sense) and the last hideout of the Druids.
I think a fairly convincing case can be made for the Glastonbury area as opposed to Anglesey (which was where the Druids made their hideout); it was, until a few hundred years ago, to all intents and purposes an island, so the crossing to it by boat among the mists wasn't necessarily fantasy, and almost without a shadow of a doubt it would have been held sacred in times of yore.

"My political opinions lean more and more to Anarchy (philosophically understood, meaning abolition of control not whiskered men with bombs)—or to 'unconstitutional' Monarchy"
~ J.R.R.Tolkien.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii51/sheep_023/070-2.gif

WanderingSheep is offline   Reply With Quote