Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Wicca

Wicca for discussion of all types of Wicca

Old 07-20-13   #41
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: Book of Shadows

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post

In all seriousness I regard magical journals as a necessity, whatever you call them. No one remembers every dream reading, ritual, etc they ever experienced, and as someone mentioned, our POV changes over time too - in any training I've ever done, "start a magical journal" is a requirement usually given in the first Lesson. Besides, nothing consolidates memory like visual work; I draw the Ogham, draw the runes, paint the Inner Tree and Mandala, fill in my BOTA cards(well I did, in past) and sketch every plant I work with so I know it intimately, not just by it's actions and constituents. I'd be lost without my journals - and, perhaps best of all - they get me offline for a while, too.
I wish I had all the lost journals I had over the years. Being in the military and moving every couple of years I ended up loosing all of them which makes it really hard to look back.

I agree journals are almost an initial step in everything I ever did.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13   #42
feranaja

Aw, that sucks, MonSno. I have to admit, re-reading some of mine is guaranteed to produce actual howls of laughter, but that's still valuable, isn't it.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-13   #43
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Aw, that sucks, MonSno. I have to admit, re-reading some of mine is guaranteed to produce actual howls of laughter, but that's still valuable, isn't it.
That it does. A friend of mine has one that we co -wrote back in 1980 that I have a copy of but it was near the end of my living there. Because of that it's only about 10 - 15 pages long but the words I used and the phrases are so interesting. I wish I could look back and re-connect with that old me at times.

Like me he has also lost just about all of his from that time frame. Other than an odd drawing or note here and there there is little left now. Heck even when we used to record them on cassette tape then later transcribe them to the page seems strange today. He had one of them as well though no cassette decks today.
Old 07-20-13   #44
feranaja

I lost my cartoons ( a bit OT here, sorry) which were practically journals in their own right, some of the funniest moments in my life,recorded in those things! I cartooned for years (FI will remember, he was a favorite subject)... some things cannot be replaced...

Shane Parrish
Old 07-21-13   #45
ffetcher

MonSno and fera' have both had the experience that caused me to start storing everything electronically - either by typing it from notes or printing it for physical books. I was pretty much able to reconstruct what I'd lost, but decided I didn't want to have to go through that again.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14   #46
ffetcher

Excuse the thread necromancy, but I can't find a better place for this question.

For anyone who has a regular working partner and keeps a journal, dou you share your journals, or only selected bits?

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-14   #47
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
Excuse the thread necromancy, but I can't find a better place for this question.

For anyone who has a regular working partner and keeps a journal, dou you share your journals, or only selected bits?

blessings
ffetcher
The only person who really knows what is in my head or journals is my wife so she never has to read them though they are open to her. For the most part though I am somewhat reserved in who I let read except parts which I choose to share. Ironically at times it seems as if the journal entries I do are not really for me but written for someone else and I share them on the net.
Old 05-20-14   #48
feranaja

I don't have a working partner (and I'm not Wiccan) but if I did I would share my technical journal, and not the ones I work out personal development in. Does that make sense?

Shane Parrish
Old 01-18-15   #49
nightraven

I have a couple of books that i use. I am not Wiccan but i have found that it help to keep track of spells and things if you keep them together recorded.
nightraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-15   #50
Brigidrose
Mermaid

It really does help. I put most on my computer, then transfer to my book.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote