Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Wicca

Wicca for discussion of all types of Wicca

Old 12-30-11   #11
feranaja

Default Re: 9-year-old daughter wants to begin formal training.

I'd certainly be training my own 9 year old. Starting with herbs, nature lore, faerie tales, seasonal cycles... most definitely. Think how much she will look back at the early, deeply embedded knowledge and thank you! Magic is inherent in all we do, and I'd pass along an enchanted view of life; we'd be wildcrafting, making medicine, cooking, foraging, working with animals/energy, watching the heavens and learning the myths behind the stars, watching movies about magic and myth and discussing the meanings, practising focus and creativity,and she'd be part of all the rituals, outerwork of course.

I'd empower my own daughter with knowledge early on.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11   #12
mooncrisispower

If she wants this way go for it but im against all kinds of raising a child in any specific faith or religion. everyone should find their own way.
mooncrisispower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11   #13
PrincessKLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooncrisispower View Post
If she wants this way go for it but im against all kinds of raising a child in any specific faith or religion. everyone should find their own way.
I see what you are saying but psychologically I feel that children at very young ages need a base and foundation to work on. Yes, I didn't really discover witchcraft and Wicca and the like until age 13 or 14 but I did have a Christian (Protestant) base to work from when it came to ideals and morals and such. Of course some of that got crumbled in the process but they were building blocks that still help me in my path.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-11   #14
feranaja

Ah, but look at what I wrote, mcp. I would be teaching her about the stars, the ancient myths, about food and herbal medicine and how to attune to the seasons within and without, solar and lunar. Those are skills employed by many atheists and Christians that I know well, good herbalists and sometimes better environmentalists than many Pagans. So these aren't necessarily tools of WICCA, or even Paganism, but ways of living in the world in an aware and celebratory way. Not the same at all as pushing some dogma down a kid's throat.

Shane Parrish
Old 12-30-11   #15
DonelleBeira

Moon, I would also add that even when we are trying NOT to teach, we are teaching by our very actions/inactions. Children are little sponges who absorb any and everything that comes along. When they see their caregivers doing something, they learn to do the same thing. So by example we teach every second of every day - whether that is our intent or not. And, IMHO, it is always best to offer them a guide - not a shove, a guide.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11   #16
HRH
Just me

When I was younger, I was completely against raising children in any religion. I thought they should be allowed to find their own way, and religion should never be discussed, unless they asked. When they asked, I thought they should be given many religions to choose from, educated in every Path possible, and allowed to choose...then I had kids. In my experience, children have a spiritual nature and they begin questioning quite early. Just as they need help knowing right from wrong and learning proper manners, they need guidance spiritually. They seek it out, if not from parents, then somewhere.

My approach has evolved greatly over the years. I have always educated my children in mythologies from everything I can get my hands on. They have books on Christian mythology, Jewish, Greek, Roman, Celtic, Native American, African, and Norse. I discuss these things with them and ask constantly, "What do you think?" When they ask what I think, I have no problem sharing that. They tend to follow what I think, for the moment. My thirteen year old is beginning to develop her own spiritual identity, and I give her space and freedom to do so, but I've found that it closely aligns with mine. Where it differs is where our minds work differently. She is more in tune with animals, for instance, while I am a child of the green.

I would definitely begin training. If your child is asking, she has a reason for it. Because of your uncertainty, I would be careful with anything by which you are oathbound, but religion and minor magicks are appropriate for her age. If you think she is interested in the cool factor, teach her cool things. My kids were fascinated to learn the healing properties of spider webs, meditation, and other such.

Personally, I don't want my kids to feel like they have to go to other sources. That they ask me is a sign that they trust me to guide them, and I have a responsibility to honor that trust. Never brainwash, or say, "This is the only way," but be there with a steady, loving presence and the knowledge they seek. That's what parents are for.
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-11   #17
HRH
Just me

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Ah, but look at what I wrote, mcp. I would be teaching her about the stars, the ancient myths, about food and herbal medicine and how to attune to the seasons within and without, solar and lunar. Those are skills employed by many atheists and Christians that I know well, good herbalists and sometimes better environmentalists than many Pagans. So these aren't necessarily tools of WICCA, or even Paganism, but ways of living in the world in an aware and celebratory way. Not the same at all as pushing some dogma down a kid's throat.
Usually, people without children don't get it. It's obvious you do. It's probably from many years as a teacher. At our core, parents are simply teachers obligated by genetics. We have a responsibility to educate the children we bring into the world. That's what I got from your post. Education is never wrong. Holding them back can be very damaging, in fact. You are talking about giving a child the keys to unlock vast worlds of knowledge and letting them choose which locks to open.

I understand you never wanted kids. I kind of think that's a shame, though. There are so many thrown away kids out there, and you would make a hell of a parent. I mean that only as a compliment, and not a criticism of your choices.
Old 12-31-11   #18
feranaja

HRH, your words here bring tears to my eyes.
I would - now - love a daughter or son, but back in my child-bearing years, I was not ready to be a truly good parent, and so, knowing that, I abstained. I was far too much focused on me.
These days I wish I had a child - BUT, I will say, a worthy apprentice would be to me, as a child of my own body and more. So, while I have regrets, I hvae hopes. And again - your words bring much to me. I am too old biologically to have a child, but spiritually I am ripe, and it is a joy that you see that.

Giving a child the keys to unlock knowledge is precisely what I meant, plus the love to now that whatever they find in that Secret Garden, is valued, accepted, and loved.

And thus do we heal the world, yes?

Shane Parrish
Old 12-31-11   #19
HRH
Just me

Absolutely.
Old 12-31-11   #20
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
HRH, your words here bring tears to my eyes.
I would - now - love a daughter or son, but back in my child-bearing years, I was not ready to be a truly good parent, and so, knowing that, I abstained. I was far too much focused on me.
These days I wish I had a child - BUT, I will say, a worthy apprentice would be to me, as a child of my own body and more. So, while I have regrets, I hvae hopes. And again - your words bring much to me. I am too old biologically to have a child, but spiritually I am ripe, and it is a joy that you see that.

Giving a child the keys to unlock knowledge is precisely what I meant, plus the love to now that whatever they find in that Secret Garden, is valued, accepted, and loved.

And thus do we heal the world, yes?
That is beautiful.....rep

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote