Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > The Magic of Scent

The Magic of Scent Using oils and incense, fragrance in general in magical workings and healing

Old 03-24-18   #1
Satyr77

Talking Pisces Potions

Blending potions is a personal passion of mine, for which I gladly blame Laurie Cabot! A while back, I realized that I never jived with any published formulas for "Pisces Oil"--as I am a Pisces--since the formulas seemed to lack much introspection for those of us who live under this hallowed sign. There was also something somewhat "generic" about these formulas, too. Worse, still, was that most of the essential oil-yielding plants are not governed by my native sign; so, I had to get a bit creative and figure out what aromas would fragrantly conjure the mental and spiritual imagery of my natal sign.

So, I began thinking about what scents would light my Piscean fire! I had become obsessed by the musks used in Satyr Oil--musk, civet, and ambergris!--so, I chose ambergris to start since it recalls the depths of the ocean and sensuality. (We Pisces are deep-feeling folks!) I then chose clary sage oil, which expands one's consciousness and heightens intuition/ psychic faculties (it is also "ruled" by the Moon, Jupiter, and Neptune). But, I wanted something else. I know that I didn't want myrrh, since Pisces can live in prisons of our own designs and addictions; narcissus was also out since it implies a sense of being held in captivity or restrained by our senses in one sense or another. However, because Pisces are always living in the past--like we belong to two different worlds--and live in our heads, I chose an extremely potent wisteria oil, since one whiff of it conjured an "old fashioned" sensation...a feeling of being in the past, yet one of refinement. I may add a drop of two of labdanum oil to it, but I haven't decided, yet since I've never worked with labdanum oil.

I personally believe that each Witch should design his or her own utterly unique Zodiac Oil as a personal "perfume" so that the gods and other spirits can recognize you by that scent. Therefore, I always make sure to wear this blend during each and every Esbat ritual when worshipping the gods that I do.

Has anyone else developed a unique Pisces Oil, or some other Zodiac Oil that they would like to share? I always love drawing inspiration from others' formulas.
Satyr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Pisces Potions

I love your carefully thought out approach - and I for one, do have a few oils of my own developing - Self Heal, which I made actually 30 years ago now, wow, how time flies...I have some Lunar and Solar Festival oils and one for Oshun, one for Brigid and one Aphrodite... working on a Flidais this year. I hadn't though of doing a Gemini oil....I'd want it airy and playful but with a serious undertone, to honour both sides of our nature...Lotus, lemon, lilac and lavender come to mind..iris...with Tonka bean, vanilla, a drop of oakmoss...(or did I just re-create Shalimar??)

a great idea, I'll be interested to hear what you come up with, ultimately.

http://mallowandwhitepine.wordpress.com/
plants, spirit, medicine - my Earthwalker blog

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18   #3
Satyr77

Oh, that sounds delicious! At the moment I am trying to start my own personal apothecary, and because I like to buy my essential and fragrance oils in large one pound bottles, none of my resources carry "lotus oil"! I'm all ears if anyone knows of a trustworthy resource for lotus oil. Sadly, the lotus absolute is far outside my price range.
Old 03-24-18   #4
feranaja

Where do you like to shop? I'm a huge fan of Floracopeia, but sadly the exchange makes them really expensive for me (I'm in Canada). I have a few and I adore them, but I'm also really sensitive to many scents so I keep the staples I need medicinally and a few magical blends and thats it...

I'll ask my friends who work with oils more than I do, about lotus. Here's my favorite place to shop: http://www.floracopeia.com/Essential-Oils/

And my friend Ananda Wilson makes lovely blends too: https://gatherperfume.com/blogs/news...e-welcomes-you

The two of hers I wear - Medicine Woman and Mead - she no longer makes!
And I just have nowhere near her skill to try and blend my own version...

"We're in a time of ethical and intellectual corruption. Study the spiritual traditions, live with excellence, resist insanity."
Thomas Moore
Old 03-24-18   #5
Satyr77

Oh, I try to spend only, say....$30 or so on a one pound bottle of a potently aromatic oil. Also, if she's your friend and no longer makes them, I would ask her for the recipes! It can't hurt. All she can say is, "No, but thank you."
Old 03-28-18   #6
feranaja

I have no idea why I didn't think of that...we're Facebook Friends, so not close-close, but I did do a reading for her once and we have had many chats over the years. It can't hurt to ask.

Medicine Woman is kind of stinky, let's say...esoteric, not going to be a popular blend, but magically potent... it's associated with a brilliant time in my life, I anoint some of my tools with it, and I don't want to be without.

Thomas Moore
Old 09-14-18   #7
The Troll

What do potions do? Are they like drugs? Prohormones? Beer?

Sincerely ,

the Russian bot, aka, the Troll
The Troll is offline   Reply With Quote