Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Dreamwork and Interpretation

Dreamwork and Interpretation All methods and systems of working with, learning from and interpreting our dreams

Old 07-28-13   #11
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

Default Re: Constant Nightmares, going on a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdreamer View Post
Did you dr. say well all we can do for that cyst is pills for the rest of your life or until menopause? Or did he just leave you an open prescription? You definitely might want to see another dr. if that cyst is still bothering you.

Sorry, I can't help with the nightmares. But I would be happy to light a candle for you if you thought it would help.
oh no i had to have surgery for the cyst, it was the size of a softball they couldnt leave it or i wouldnt have an ovairy after a while, especially if it burst. From what i understand the medicine was supposed to help keep another one from forming and to help with menstrual migraines. I am seeing a new doctor now since my old one retired so im going to be asking her about it, i had been talking to someone else who was taking the same medication for the same problem and they said once they switched to a gluten free diet they didnt have to take any medicine at all.

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-13   #12
HRH
Just me

Wow. The issues in this thread are myriad, aren't they? Have you considered plain old psychology? Sometimes, a dream is a dream. Zombies, aliens, and tornadoes all symbolize huge changes out of your control, but in every dream it sounds liyou ke you kept chugging right along, able to handle them, no matter how frightened. I know they feel like nightmares and they are disturbing your rest with the strength of them, but it doesn't sound like it's really a nightmare. It sounds like your subconscious saying, "don't stress, you can handle anything."

It might be your diet, your medications, or outside influences. You have a lot going on there, I'll admit. But I'd seriously consider the simplest explanation. What's stressing you that feels like it's outside of your control? Face that and you might get some sleep.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the guys, btw. I don't think the idea of angry ghosts is the must viable solution, because they aren't giving you messages or attacking you, but petrus is right that it could affect your dreams. You simply don' t have enough symptoms for me to think that's your problem. Your diet is awful, but I don't think hamburger helper suddenly started causing nightmares when you've always lived on it. It's more likely that it would cause long-term problems with sleep. The meds, again, can cause sleeping issues, but it's most likely to happen when they are changed. ( Please get a second opinion, though. Seriously.) But I think in this instance we should simply remember the primary function of dreams, which is to help us work through issues while we sleep.
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-13   #13
inkdreamer
Queen of Hearts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkWahya View Post
oh no i had to have surgery for the cyst, it was the size of a softball they couldnt leave it or i wouldnt have an ovairy after a while, especially if it burst. From what i understand the medicine was supposed to help keep another one from forming and to help with menstrual migraines. I am seeing a new doctor now since my old one retired so im going to be asking her about it, i had been talking to someone else who was taking the same medication for the same problem and they said once they switched to a gluten free diet they didnt have to take any medicine at all.
Said that way it makes more sense to me.
Old 07-28-13   #14
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leben View Post
There are so many factors here to explore before 'roamers' is the logical conclusion -- no offense petrus.
None taken. I'm entirely in favour of covering all possible bases. If your own inclination is devoted to the more mundane causes for such things, then by all means.

Pop culture could definitely have a psychological role to play; I remember reading about some people needing therapy after seeing The Exorcist, as one example.

I will admit that my own experience would not cause me to suspect diet as being responsible for nightmares, as such; but then again, bad diet can cause sufficient other problems, that who knows? Improving your diet never hurts, whether that is to blame or not.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-13   #15
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

My inclination is toward Occam's Razor. People with a Western mentality typically fail to realize the mind-body connection and just how much they reflect each other, within each other. Psychological functioning is a reflection of the material/energy we put into our body, and the material/energy we choose to put into our body is a reflection of our psyche and beliefs. I don't think this approach excludes yours, petrus, they actually are two sides of the same coin; for instance, alchemical Taoists believe in abstaining from the Five Grains as they believe there are demonic spirits attached to them which will cause imbalances in the body, leading to imbalances in the mind. If we can get past the symbolic/allegorical/metaphysical interpretation of energies and forces and see the underlying mechanics, I'm sure we can agree.

lw~ I highly recommend a gluten free diet. I've noticed less inflammation, clearer thought process, healthier digestion and an overall positive increase in mood Also, less demonic possession
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13   #16
HRH
Just me

Leben, I hope you don't mind, because I'm sure you are advising this in good faith, but I'd like to offer you some links. You may have done your own research and be comfortable with your choices, but gluten-free is not always a healthy choice. It is prescribed for a specific ailment, celiac disease, and it is not recommended by health professionals for anyone else. Have you spoken with a doctor or nutritionist about your diet? You might want to do so.

These are quick reads that were easy to find, but what made me search for them was the knowledge that a child I know recently became very ill when his well-meaning mother put him on a gluten free diet. It disrupted the healthy bacteria in his digestive system and caused many problems. She'd been advised by a "healer" that it would help his autism. (I put healer in quotes because this particular person nearly killed multiple people who trusted her by jumping on the latest fads without having any proper training. She "intuited" their problems and solutions.) Anyway, I thought you might be interested in this.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...en-freehttp://

http://www.uwhealth.org/nutrition-di...ee-diets/31084

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recip...yths-debunked/
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13   #17
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leben View Post
I don't think this approach excludes yours, petrus, they actually are two sides of the same coin; for instance, alchemical Taoists believe in abstaining from the Five Grains as they believe there are demonic spirits attached to them which will cause imbalances in the body, leading to imbalances in the mind. If we can get past the symbolic/allegorical/metaphysical interpretation of energies and forces and see the underlying mechanics, I'm sure we can agree.
There are some things at least, where I tend to be fairly agnostic about what causes them or how they work, truthfully; astrology is a good example of such. I also mentioned in my last post in the forums thread, about how I got annoyed with the people at tulpaforums.org when I mentioned my servitors, and they insisted on assuming that tulpae/servitors can only work via the psychological model, and that if someone believes in astral space at all, they are supposedly an idiot.

My point is, that it doesn't really bother me what interpretation someone has about how something works, in the case of such things where we don't actually know, one way or the other. There are a lot of things, of course, where we actually do know how they work; but where magick is concerned, that very often is not the case.

I tend towards the astral intepretation of most things where magick is concerned, simply because for me, it's the one model which is able to account for everything observed. The problem I have with always trying to be reductionist, is that some people who do so, reduce down to the point where important things get left out of their model.

A good example of this would be the World Trade Center collapse, in 2001. I am more or less convinced of thermite controlled demolition theory at this point, and the reason why, is because it is an explanation which is able to take into account all of the evidence which I encountered; eyewitness testimony from the firefighters and such, as well as the way the buildings fell, etc. People who want to continue to believe in the American government's "pancake theory," can only really do so if they disregard eyewitness testimony as invalid, because said testimony describes explosions which could not happen, as part of the process that pancake theory describes.

So to clarify; reductionism to me, primarily works not only by seeking the most elegant explanation for the working of something, but in seeking the maximum degree of elegance at least, some people tend to be willing to leave certain elements of available evidence out. Elegance is extremely important to me as well, but I feel that in order to avoid pseudoskepticism, I have to also balance that with inclusion. An explanation which is so parsimonious that it actually excludes some of the available criteria or evidence, tends to be a distorted or incorrect explanation.

Quote:
lw~ I highly recommend a gluten free diet. I've noticed less inflammation, clearer thought process, healthier digestion and an overall positive increase in mood Also, less demonic possession
I will agree with this.
Old 07-30-13   #18
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRH View Post
These are quick reads that were easy to find, but what made me search for them was the knowledge that a child I know recently became very ill when his well-meaning mother put him on a gluten free diet. It disrupted the healthy bacteria in his digestive system and caused many problems. She'd been advised by a "healer" that it would help his autism. (I put healer in quotes because this particular person nearly killed multiple people who trusted her by jumping on the latest fads without having any proper training. She "intuited" their problems and solutions.) Anyway, I thought you might be interested in this.
Whenever I am tempted to experiment with some new form of diet, or even just a single new type of food which I've never tried before, my initial trial period is usually as brief as 24 hours; which of course is not long enough to cause any real harm, even if it isn't entirely good for me.

If I can go for 2-3 days without there being a problem, then depending on what it is, I might stretch that out to a week or so. The other major point that I would make here, is that experience has taught me to trust my own internal feedback about what I need in dietary terms, rather than relying purely on the theory of someone else. Diet in my experience is an extremely individual thing, and what works fine for one person, very often won't work at all for someone else.

As an example, I'm someone who tends to need a small amount of red meat; small being defined as maybe 1-2 pieces of steak per two weeks. If I have either more or less of it than that, I develop problems; but in both cases, said problems are not the type which advocates of either extreme (more or less) have told me to expect.

Going gluten free might well help you; but then again, it might not. Try some gluten free stuff for 1-3 days, would be my suggestion. If you can go that long, and you're feeling ok, take that out to a week. If nothing bad happens in that timeframe, and you've actually noticed an improvement, then take it out to two weeks, and so on.

Also, if during that time, you find yourself wanting a smaller amount of something with gluten, alongside the gluten-free stuff you're having, have that as well. You might find that you still need a little bit of gluten, but too much will cause problems, just as too little will.

Hopefully you get my point.

As a second point, anyone who self-identifies as a shaman or a healer, in my opinion, is a warning sign. I've truthfully never seen a compelling reason, why the S-word needs to enter the conversation, whereas you will see a very large number of cases in which shamanic self-identification doesn't really indicate anything other than narcissism, in the individual making that claim; and despite their protests to the contrary, yes, I would even extend that to the indigenous, if they did so.

I, at times, have been able to self-heal a few different conditions which defied conventional diagnosis. I've had mediumistic, precognitive, and out of body experiences, which were verified by other people in two out of those three categories. Some of my experiences with Kali, also match the description of low level horsing or channelling, ("shadowing," in my case) given at northernshaman.org. I've also used entheogens and have experienced plant communication while under the influence.

Yet I will say, most emphatically and categorically, that I am definitely and absolutely not a shaman; and further, that I know that I would quite rightly risk excoriation on this forum, if I were to make such a claim. I can also safely say, that irrespective of the amount which I may end up learning, I will never at any time in the future be a shaman either.

The word is odious; as are, truthfully, the words "healer," "wisewoman," or any other such self-aggrandising invitations to narcissism. Let us simply be ourselves, and do what we do, and dispense with labels.
Old 07-30-13   #19
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

hrh~ thank you for your concern, but simply put, I know my body. The links were not very interesting and poorly informed.
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-13   #20
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by inkdreamer View Post
Did you dr. say well all we can do for that cyst is pills for the rest of your life or until menopause? Or did he just leave you an open prescription? You definitely might want to see another dr. if that cyst is still bothering you.
I have to disagree with this; I cleared up my own and several client's ovarian cysts herbally. It's not even especially challenging to do. MDs won't know how to do it, but it's generally quite manageable with dietary changes and the correct herbal formulation.
Mine was so bad I thought I was having appendicitis, and I was able to clear5 it up well before menopause hit a few years back.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote