Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity

Gender and Identity Forum for the discussion of gender and sexuality and how it factors into identity

Old 05-22-13   #1
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Florida Cheerleader Denies Felony Charge for Lesbian Relationship

And here we have the it's ok to break the law because i'm gay defense...

Quote:
"Our understanding form the other family is the reason they initially pursued this case is because they're unhappy with their daughter being a same sex relationship," he said. "It would appear to be the case if Kate were a male this wouldn't be happening."
http://news.yahoo.com/florida-cheerl...opstories.html
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13   #2
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: Florida Cheerleader Denies Felony Charge for Lesbian Relationship

Ok course lets ignore the legal issue of an 18 year old with a minor and it just has to be because it's a lesbian relationship. Of course if it was a male then he'd still be in jail awaiting the trial and no offer to avoid sexual offenders list would be made.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13   #3
StoneSeer

That's stupid. Here, if a man is caught driving a car with a female (or any) minor who is bare foot, can potentially face statutory rape charges, if said child is not their own. (No joke, it's actually a law in Arkansas).

When will people stop playing the race/gender/gay-lesbian card as an excuse or to get away with something?

I mean, there are people, REAL PEOPLE, who suffer with REAL issues due to their Race/Gender/Sexual Orientation.

It's an insult to those people to play that card whenever it suits you rather than when it is reality, and it's been happening soooooo often (I think I touched base on this in the male feminist thread?). Irregardless of the fact that her partner's parents may have been driven to press charges due to the same sex relationship, doesn't mean that the actual charges she is faces (put in place by the state) are bias/prejudiced. It is simply the law that if you are 18 that you will suffer consequences for having sexual relations with a minor. Simple. There's no bias in it whatsoever.

Woman. Irrelevant.
Lesbian. Irrelevant.
18 year old having sex with a minor. The Issue at hand.

Visit me at http://tarotkristy.com/

"Evolution is a tightly coupled dance, with life and the material environment as partners. From the dance emerges the entity Gaia." - James Lovelock
StoneSeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13   #4
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneSeer View Post
When will people stop playing the race/gender/gay-lesbian card as an excuse or to get away with something?
I have known some very quiet, stable, sensible homosexual people on 4chan of all places, believe it or not. I have also recently been watching a science fiction series called Warehouse 13, where one of the characters is a gay Buddhist. He is a very calm, emotionally stable person, and at times gives the other characters spiritual advice. If he hadn't told the other characters that he was gay, nobody would know.

To me, he is an extremely positive model for homosexuality. I have no grievance with homosexuality itself, and I have realised this. What I do not like, however, are the flaunters, the political activists, the people with victim complexes, and the people who insist on inverse discrimination and receiving special treatment, purely due to their orientation.

I have encountered homosexual people online, as mentioned, who have themselves expressed an identical opinion. They are tired of their entire group and community being given a bad name, as the result of the behaviour of an aberrant minority among them. We could even speculate, that perhaps many of the conservative Christians and others with a perceived inherent objection to homosexuality, might not have such an objection, were it not for the political behaviour that I describe here.

If a person is homosexual, in and of itself, there is nothing wrong with that. They should not, however, broadcast it to the world to any greater degree than a heterosexual person does. I have never condoned the pride rallies; I have always considered them a negative and counterproductive idea.

The specific subgroup of homosexual people who do this, need to stop expecting that they can have things both ways. On the one hand they do not want discrimination in negative terms, but on the other, they want to be able to use homosexuality, as a supposed difference, to entitle them to special positive treatment, or as a legal defense etc.

That is not equality. It is a contradiction, and it is hypocrisy.

As another point, you may have noticed my use primarily of the word, "homosexual," rather than "gay," in this post. That is deliberate; I will not allow homosexual political advocates to decide the content of my vocabulary. The word, "homosexual," is the precise, scientific term for the orientation, and it is what I will continue to use. The word "heterosexual," is not considered an insult; therefore, the word "homosexual," should not be either. It is simply a case of semantic precision, which is an important element of honesty.

In a similar manner, I object to the alteration of the term, "Sexually Transmitted Disease," to "Sexually Transmitted Infection," and the attempted obsolescence of the term, "AIDS," and its' replacement with the term, "HIV." The purpose of this semantic manipulation, is the attempted removal of phrases which have attracted negative stigma, due to being more precise and honest in their meaning, and their replacement with more mild and acceptable terms, in order to shield homosexual people from responsibility for the consequences of their actions and conditions.

To make my point perfectly clear; I am not intolerant of homosexuality itself. I am, however, absolutely intolerant of these specific forms of homosexual political behaviour; which consist of deception, hypocrisy, and fascism. Ayn Rand described the two forms of coercion as force and fraud; and these are the two which I have routinely observed homosexual political activists to use.

Last edited by petrus4; 05-23-13 at 04:28 AM.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13   #5
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
In a similar manner, I object to the alteration of the term, "Sexually Transmitted Disease," to "Sexually Transmitted Infection," and the attempted obsolescence of the term, "AIDS," and its' replacement with the term, "HIV." The purpose of this semantic manipulation, is the attempted removal of phrases which have attracted negative stigma, due to being more precise and honest in their meaning, and their replacement with more mild and acceptable terms, in order to shield homosexual people from responsibility for the consequences of their actions and conditions.
Hmmm, at risk of getting well off-topic, both of those substitutions are valid, and one technically isn't a substitution anyway. STI for STD, according to my medical friends, makes it significantly more likely that young women will get tested for things like chlamydia, which doesn't exhibit disease-like symptoms. And HIV, formerly HTLV3, is the virus that causes AIDS, not the disease itself. 'HIV/AIDS' is the common term in the mass media over here.

But I digress. So I'll stop now.

I agree that the age factor should be the deciding matter, not the gender of those involved in the relationship. But age of consent is problematic. I know thirteen- and fourteen-year-olds who are much more mature than many eighteen-year olds. And we had the case of a schoolteacher who ran away to France with one of his pupils last year. They presumably had sex. Not an offence in France because she was fifteen. Statutory rape in England, though, where the age of consent is sixteen.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13   #6
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

A couple things about this particular case: I believe these two have been together since Kaitlyn Hunt (the older girl) was 17. Her girlfriend's parents are known to blame Hunt for "turning their daughter gay" and had said that as soon as Hunt turned 18 they would do something about it. So, in this case, it is about the same-sex relationship.

Florida has a "Romeo and Juliet" law, which, at the very least, should protect Hunt from having to register as a sex offender because of this. It's in place for exactly this sort of situation--two high schoolers dating; one turns 18; the parents of the younger one suddenly allege rape or abuse or other advantage-taking.

I don't have the statistics in front of me, unfortunately, but some studies are suggesting that statutory rape charges like this are pursued more often in same-sex relationships than straight ones.

Personally, I'm opposed to applying statutory rape laws in cases like this, regardless of the genders involved. It was OK for two teens to date each other when one was 17 and the other 14 or 15 or even 16, but the instant one turns 18, suddenly they're a sexual predator? Bull. If you don't like who your kids' SOs, talk to them, or their parents, or--here's an idea--your own kids. Don't throw a teenager in jail and ruin their life just because you don't like them dating your kid.
Windsmith bat Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13   #7
HRH
Just me

I don't know about anywhere else, but here in MS statutory rape charges have changed. Like Arkansas, it was once that if a minor was even partially nude (including their feet being out of their shoes) in the presence of an adult that adult could be charged with statutory rape. That put a lot of 18 year old kids in jeopardy for dating someone who was seventeen, even if they were not sexually active; it's completely ridiculous. Parents who didn't like an older boyfriend would quite often file these charges right after the boyfriend's birthday. It was out of hand. Now, the age of consent is sixteen and the other party must be four years older for statutory rape charges to be pursued. So, nineteen year olds can't go to jail for dating 16 year olds. I think that's fair. No twenty year old should date a sixteen year old. Nobody over 18 should date a fifteen year old.

The law would also cover the above article, of course. 18 and 14 is a four year age difference, with the 14 year old being under the age of consent. To my mind, it's the last part that is most important. "Under the age of consent" is a pretty big deal. If my fourteen year old was having sex with anyone, I'd have a problem with it. Of course, that's not likely to happen, because I actually talk to my fourteen year old, listen to her, and know what she is doing. She isn't allowed on unchaperoned dates, because--get this--SHE IS FOURTEEN!!! This kids' parents should face some scrutiny, right along with her girlfriend, in my opinion.

Having said all that, it's really rare that a football playing senior gets arrested and jailed for dating a freshman. Sorry, but I don't think these charges would have been filed if the cheerleader was a male. That doesn't change the law; the cheerleader had no business having sex with a fourteen year old. But, I think the police officer is probably correct with his assessment that it only became a problem because it was a homosexual relationship. There are two ways a senior gets arrested for dating a freshman, in my experience: he/she is from the "wrong side of the tracks" OR he/she is the same sex of his/her boyfriend/girlfriend. That's the only two ways I've ever seen it happen, except in cases of actual rape.

I'm not defending it. The fourteen year old shouldn't have been having sex with ANYONE. The eighteen year old should have known better. But the reality is what it is. It probably wouldn't have been an issue if it had been a football player, rather than a cheerleader. It definitely wouldn't have ever turned into a problem if the younger girl's parents had done their job and monitored her properly. In my opinion, the parents are as much at fault as the girls.

Sorry about the soapbox.
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote