Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Knowledge is Power > Intermediate Tarot

Intermediate Tarot This will be a short (8-10 weeks) course combining some Introductory information, but focusing primarily on early Intermediate work, working with the cards in short readings, exercises and meditations to open the flow between knowledge and intuition. Emphasis is on combining intellectual familiarity with the symbolism, and personal insight and interpretation. Not for total beginners.

Old 10-24-11   #1
feranaja

Default Basic Energy Work for Tarot

This is an exercise I hadn’t thought of until this morning, but I feel it will be especially useful for those of you who are relatively new to Tarot, and may be helpful for the more advanced as well. Let me know! As always I greatly appreciate hearing from you, what helped and what was redundant or just not working for you.

The purpose of the exercise is to get us working magically with the elements of each suit - and it is developed from the one offered by Mary Greer. As we progress over the next month, focusing on wands, Cups, Swords and Pentacles, we will use this core exercise to help contact the elemental properties of the suit. But for this week, just practise the basic exercise. It goes like this.

“Sort your Tarot deck into five piles – the Major Arcana and the four suits. Set the four minor suits in front of you on a table, left to right Wands – Cups- Swords and Pentacles. If you wish, place a ritual object beside each pile: a candle or wand for Fire(wands); a chalice or bowl of water for Cups(Water) an athame or incense burner for Swords (air) and a dish of salt, a small plant, a stone or a paten for Pentacles(Earth).

Take a moment and run through your relaxation exercises. I often include my grounding work at this time, however you go about it. Make sure you are centered and relaxed before starting.
Now, stand facing the table with the cards and objects on them – hold your hands in front of you, waist level, palms up. Breathe in a relaxed fashion. Draw breath in to a fourfold count if you are used to that method otherwise, just breathe deeply but do not force. When i first did the circulation of the Body of light, many years ago I would pull the light through me while holding my breath and then exhale for about 3 minutes straight, in the crazed belief this would somehow strengthen the experience. It was only after I almost passed out in the exercise I realized, the main thing I needed to do was relax and allow the light to circulate, not kick it's ass through my energy centres and all over the room, as hard as humanly possible.
Not that any of you would be so ridiculous I am sure, lol.

Next:As you inhale, visualize that you are drawing energy in through the the solar plexus, located about two inches above the navel. Draw it in as a pale white light through that centre, and also through the soles of the feet...gently.... and up...now, add another, final opening at the crown of your head and draw the energy down..down so that it meets at the solar plexus with the energy you’re pulling up through your feet. Just let that happen for a few moments..breathing in, softly, draw in the pale white light/energy. These are three inlets for energy – earth energy coming up from the fee: prana or cosmic energy coming in the centre of the physical body, and celestial energy pouring down through the crown. You might visualize this as the Three Realms of Underworld, Earth and Heaven, or in any way that works with your worldview.

Then...as you exhale, let the energy pour outwards, from your heart centre, your pelvis and the palms of your upturned hands.
So now you have three outlets for the energy you are circulating; the heart centre(which corresponds in my own tradition to the astral realm) the etheric centre, or the pelvic area, and the healing centres located in the palms of the hands.
I know this can be a bit to co-ordinate and it is not (despite Greer’s version printed in her most basic book) really designed for Beginners. Still, I feel this class is up to it. I would like you to try this at least three times this week – stopping of course if at any time you feel dizzy or in any way uncomfortable.
I would hasten to add that anyone new to energy work will benefit greatly from following Cran’Thun’s course as well. This is not strictly speaking, tarot, of course; but energy work is a profoundly important element of all magic, and this exercise of Greer’s (with adaptations form me I hasten to add!) prepares us to journey closer to each element as the time comes.

And just do this for at least a few minutes, record any feelings or insights that arise, and that’s it for the week. J

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Basic Energy Work for Tarot

PS - next week we will be drawing up energy while visualizing and focusing on each suit in order. Don't attempt to do this now. Just have them sorted in front of you, and concentrate on pulling IN through the solar plexus, crown and feet, letting OUT through the heart, hands and pelvic centres. That's enough for now.

Shane Parrish
Old 10-27-11   #3
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

some questions I had for this

I've sorted the cards into five piles. Do I just stack them face down? or do I spread them all out facing up in order?

Do I have to hold my hands up (it gets too painful to me to do it for more than a few seconds). Can I have them in my lap?

~Rumi

green aventurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-11   #4
feranaja

ga I use just the four suits for this one - set the Majors aside in another spot - and never ever try to do energy work if something is uncomfortable. you can relax your arms and hands of course. I place my suits face up with the Ace of each one visible. But please, don't do anything that hurts!

Shane Parrish
Old 10-27-11   #5
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
ga I use just the four suits for this one - set the Majors aside in another spot - and never ever try to do energy work if something is uncomfortable. you can relax your arms and hands of course. I place my suits face up with the Ace of each one visible. But please, don't do anything that hurts!
thanks!

Do you have your eyes closed or are you looking at the aces?

~Rumi

Old 11-07-11   #6
feranaja

I would recommend looking at them for now, ga, or you can look, imprint the image, then close your eyes and hold it there, too..

So now let's move on to working with the Element of Fire.

Here is the next level, once you have gotten this far.
So far we are working with three inlets for energy and three outlets. Earth, pranic and celestial energies coming IN - and Love, etheeric and healing energy radiating out.
This week I want you to start working with the Suit of Wands - once you have done the basic energetic work, let's start with Fire.
Greer calls this purification with Fire - for me, it's more than that. This week we're working with Wands, so lets' focus on a Fire working.

you may want to start by pushing the other suits back a bit, displaying the Wands suit and your candle more prominently as this is what you'll be emphasizing.

Stand breathing comfortably once you have completed the initial exercise of the three centres.

Pick up the Suit of Wands and hold it a moment, looking deeply. Look at the Ace; fan the ten cards out and see them all - think of the element of Fire. how do you visualize Fire best? Some ideas could include:

a candle in a darkened room
a blazing bonfire
logs burning in a stone fireplace
a volcano

Feel you own internal Fire - food burning as fuel, energy coursing through your physical, etheric and astral bodies. (These are suggestions only)
ow, ask yourself what do you "burn" for? Your work, your ideals, sexuality, goals, giving to your family? Helping others, looking for love? Visualize each of your passions for a moment and then allow the image to dissolve into pure white light - start shuffling the Suit in your hands. Let the light of each of your passions flow into the cards in your hands. Feel and see the deck glowing with the pure white light of the essence of Fire. Do this for as long as feels right to you.

Next; place the cards back on the table and let the white glow saty there. Breathing slowly and comfotable,visualize a flame in front of you and start to draw it's energy into you through your solar plexus - a steady, burning line At the same time visualize a ball of pure white light in front of your face, slightly above your head, and draw this light in through the Crown chakra. The idea here is to draw flame energy UP from the solar plexus into the heart. and draw pure white light DOWN from the Crown area and have them both meet in the centre, in the heart. Once they meet, they combine into a rainbow of radiant colour. Allow this brilliant, radiant light to radiate OUT from the heart centre in a rainbow of colour that will fill the room and gently dissipates around you. Don't worry if this takes a little practise, you will get it and there is no hurry. Breath flame in through the solar plexus and up into the heart; draw pure white light down through the Crown and into the Heart; let these two form a rainbow of colour that you move outward from the heart, filling the room with this energy. I recommend NOT forming an egg or otherwise encapsulated shape around yourself at all. Just let the twin energies flow in, meet...flow back out. DO this for as long as it feels right and never push it.

Lastly... pick one of the Wands from the deck , one that you feel is a guide or symbol for you in your life right now - for some important aspect that relates to fire, energy and your passions. Then pick a second at random to show you what you need most from the Suit. Record what they are and how you reacted to them, what they mean to you, in your journal.
make sure you allow everything to slowly return to normal - allow the rainbow light to dissipate, close your centres down thoroughly, clear the room and your mind and come all the way back. Often a light meal or snack can ground us after we've been doing work of this kind.

Any questions, I will do my best to reply asap.

Shane Parrish
Old 11-08-11   #7
Spiral

I enjoyed the first part of this exercise, I'll write more in my thread. One question though, and it may be silly... I haven't done energy work before and I'm not quite sure what the difference between 'celestial' and 'cosmic' energy is
Arousing to rapture the earth and the seas.
- Anne Bronte -
Spiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-11   #8
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
I enjoyed the first part of this exercise, I'll write more in my thread. One question though, and it may be silly... I haven't done energy work before and I'm not quite sure what the difference between 'celestial' and 'cosmic' energy is
I'm not sure and I have done energy work before

~Rumi

Old 11-14-11   #9
feranaja

I would think of "celestial" as pertaining specifically to the stars... and cosmic as somewhat larger or more expansive?

Admittedly this level is not beginner work - is anyone finding it difficult to co-ordinate? What energy work have people done, in any area? I'm about to post the next section (Cups) but bear in mind if you are not familiar with basic energy work - grounding, circle casting, roots and branches, body of light circulation - this will seem a bit taxing. I dont' know why Mary put it in her most Introductory book.

Shane Parrish
Old 11-14-11   #10
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

I've only done the first energy exercise so far and I did it several times. I got very strong heat in my solar plexus although it was a little bit weird to coordinate at first. for me, it was much stronger than CT's first exercise with the blue rotating sphere. I think I'm better at dragging in energy rather than creating energy in an area, at the moment.

I've basically, over the last few years, informally done healing (especially with the hands) mainly on myself but the odd occasion on somebody else. I've done bits and pieces with grounding, shielding and the odd circle casting but I don't know what body of light circulation is.

I was going to say something else but I've forgotten what it was

~Rumi