Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > The Physical Temple > Vibrational Medicine

Vibrational Medicine Healing with crystals, flower essences, colour , scent, touch and sound

Old 04-11-10   #11
Nacken

Default Re: Acupuncture/Acupressure

I'm a shiatsu therapist as well as a massage therapist, but I don't usually mention it because it is seen as less prestigious. Shiatsu is essentially Japanese acupressure. I may not mention it, but I use techniques from it very often. It is useful for a variety of conditions, especially more chronic ones.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10   #12
Nuadu_of_Kildare

Hey Nacken is Shiatsu as hard on the wrists as western massage?

My girl is thinking of getting an accupressure qualification but Im concerned cos her wrists are weak as it is.
Nuadu_of_Kildare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10   #13
Luna

The needles do not "jab", they barely pierce the first layer of skin. As was pointed out, occasionally they touch a nerve and that can be painful. Mention it to the doctor and s/he will remove that needle and either try another spot or leave it until your next visit.

Although - I've never had a needle stuck in my armpit or between my toes or legs. Still, since skin is skin anywhere, unless the needle hits a nerve there shouldn't be any more pain in one place than in another.

I wasted quite a bit of money a few years ago getting accupuncture from a chiropractor who just followed some plan she learned in a week-long seminar rather than tailoring the treatment to the person and the issues. It took some convincing to get me to try again, this time with someone who actually studied at a college of Chinese medicine. But I'm sure glad I tried again, it made a world of difference. I went from chronic daily headache pain to living a normal life again.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10   #14
Nuadu_of_Kildare

According to my girl

Quote:
Women are more sensitive to needles on the right and men on the left, if you have an injury that area will be more sensitive because qi will have congealed in that area
As an experement take your fingernail and jab/push/press it into your inner arm and then on your outer arm. Does that feel the same? Reason dictates a needle will not be very different to your nail and sensation should vary.

my girl added just now

Quote:
Dr Jing (her lecturer in her final year) makes people cry in the class regularly. Pericardium 6, on the wrist, requires you to feel an electric shock similar to hitting your funny bone and we will keep needling until we get it. Dont forget to mention that when we go to china some people will refuse treatment from Irish people because we dont hurt them enough
It hurts but its still good
Nuadu_of_Kildare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-10   #15
Brigidrose
Mermaid

HaHa so true.... I have to be careful if I "cup" someone here in the US... some are not used to seeing bruised as a good thing.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-10   #16
Nacken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuadu_of_Kildare View Post
Hey Nacken is Shiatsu as hard on the wrists as western massage?

My girl is thinking of getting an accupressure qualification but Im concerned cos her wrists are weak as it is.
Hmm well in some ways it is harder on the body than Swedish massage techniques because we most often use finger pressure. But there are different styles of acupressure some of which rely more on rubbing or rubbing in circles around the point. We also use moxibustion which is pretty easy on the hands. So I can't give you a definitive answer on that one. I'd suggest as at the school.

The other reason it is difficult for me to say is that I've been doing this for many years and have forearms like Popeye the Sailor Man.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote