Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > The Magic of Scent

The Magic of Scent Using oils and incense, fragrance in general in magical workings and healing

Old 07-05-10   #1
Silvercloud

Default The Four Thieves Blend

At the height of the plague commonly know as the Black Death there were 4 men from Marseilles who came into contact with the dead with the sole purpose of robbing them. This highly infectious disease was brutal and killed within a week wiping our large swathes of the population.

When the Four thieves were finally caught it is said that they were offered pardons in return for revealing the secret of their survival. They had used a mixture of herbal extracts including cloves and rosemary which was applied to the ears, hands and temples to prevent them from contracting the disease.

There appear to be many different blends recipes now but its believed they used a combination of Clove, Lemon, Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Cinnamon Oil. Its properties are believed to kill upto 99.9% of airbourne germs and act as a natural disinfectant.

Interesting ha

Silvercloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10   #2
rosekitten

Default Re: The Four Thieves Blend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercloud View Post
At the height of the plague commonly know as the Black Death there were 4 men from Marseilles who came into contact with the dead with the sole purpose of robbing them. This highly infectious disease was brutal and killed within a week wiping our large swathes of the population.

When the Four thieves were finally caught it is said that they were offered pardons in return for revealing the secret of their survival. They had used a mixture of herbal extracts including cloves and rosemary which was applied to the ears, hands and temples to prevent them from contracting the disease.

There appear to be many different blends recipes now but its believed they used a combination of Clove, Lemon, Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Cinnamon Oil. Its properties are believed to kill upto 99.9% of airbourne germs and act as a natural disinfectant.

Interesting ha

That's a very different blend then the one I've seen in one of my books. Where did you find your info? I'm curious to compare.
rosekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10   #3
Silvercloud

Yeah theres loads of different recipes out there. I seen it in a few places including on ebay but this is the only one I can remember

http://www.quantumbalancing.com/news/thieves_oil.htm
Silvercloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10   #4
rosekitten

The one I have was actually an apple cider vinegar mixture, two ingredients I remember off hand were peppercorns and hot peppers.
rosekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10   #5
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosekitten View Post
The one I have was actually an apple cider vinegar mixture, two ingredients I remember off hand were peppercorns and hot peppers.
Well I knew vinegar was an antiseptic, but thought peppers were more for pain relief. Just learned something as I did a google and see that they are also antiseptic. I've been using my capsaicin (pepper) cream on a few bites to allieviate the itching, turns out it may also keep from getting infected when I end up scratching them before realizing it's time to re-apply.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10   #6
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercloud View Post

Interesting ha

I actually use a blend called Thieves from Young Living Oils. It comes in a detergent form as well so I use it to clean with as well. I really like it to wash my Bikram clothes.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-10   #7
Broomflower

Location: Where are we going and why am I in this handbasket?

Where'd they get eucalyptus oil in Europe during the middle ages?

Broomflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11   #8
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomflower View Post
Where'd they get eucalyptus oil in Europe during the middle ages?
That would be a variant; in other words, not the original formula.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-11   #9
DonnaL

I have seen this oil for sale on the net, and I wondered what it was....you have answered my question. Blessings

Even the wise cannot see all ends.....JRR Tolkien

All I wanna do is be friends with you--Bob Dylan
DonnaL is offline   Reply With Quote