Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Christianity

Christianity Discussion of all aspects of Christianity, belief, theology and practise.

Old 09-25-15   #1
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

Default Equinox

Im not sure how many people on here have "church experience" that they could say whether or not this is a common practice, but I have always found it odd that my church does equinox services. (Actually we usually mention the solstices as well, but those are more of a passing mention than the focus)

We never have them on the day itself unless it happens to land on a Sunday, but our Sunday services will be equinox themed and focus on finding balance, and transitions. I wish I had one of my pamphlets from past ones that I could better explain that, but to me these services seem less to focus on the word of god and more on the changes of the season and the person.

I always felt that was kind of odd for a Christian church, maybe is the denomination because we are protestant and tend to be more relaxed and open armed. You can wear jeans and a t-shirt to service if you like, and we have open communion (meaning you don't have to be a member or baptized to participate), there are other things to of course but I don't feel like elaborating fully.

Perhaps this is a left over tradition from when the Church was trying to convert people, or maybe it does have some sort of fundamental significance to the church that I'm not aware of but I've just felt it is odd. Honestly its usually my favorite service (besides the St. Patrick's one, I love the traditional Irish hymns we get to sing that day) because the spring one we have in the park and for one sunday I don't feel like I'm being so much preached at as having a dialogue, and that's a nice feeling.

But I was just wondering if this was a common practice across Christianity/Catholicism? Or what others experiences with it have been.

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15   #2
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

Default Re: Equinox

There's one church in my area, which is actually attended by a lot of folks in the local Pagan communities*, that does a lot of stuff like this. I think it's fairly new; an effort on the church's part to stay relevant and "interesting" by occasionally incorporating celebrations from other religions.

*If you're from around here, church is almost as much a social club you join as an institution that actually reflects your beliefs. Certain members of our Pagan communities find they miss the social aspects of church membership, as well as some of the liturgical traditions, even if they no longer espouse the beliefs. That church is the go-to for people who feel that way, so in a way, incorporating practices and celebrations from other traditions is a smart way to play to their audience.
Windsmith bat Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-15   #3
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

Default Re: Equinox

interesting

there was a church where i went to school that didnt have a specific denomination they practiced or taught all the "big" religions from Christianity to Buddhism (think those coexist bumper stickers and that was basically them), they were the ones that hosted the witch's ball i went to my senior year around halloween. before that i had never heard of a church doing something like that. One of the guys helping out was telling me about how they strove to teach their youth about all faiths and how to live with each other in peace. But based on the decor and alter i say they tended to have more christian/catholic services there and just gave little information classes about the others.

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote