Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Christianity

Christianity Discussion of all aspects of Christianity, belief, theology and practise.

Old 04-27-15   #1
Bartmanhomer

Default End Of Times In The Bible

My friend at the day treatment program told me that we're at the end of times battling celestials and fiends and the world is coming to an end any day now. Are we really at the end of times or is this world isn't going to end?
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15   #2
ffetcher

Default Re: End Of Times In The Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
My friend at the day treatment program told me that we're at the end of times battling celestials and fiends and the world is coming to an end any day now. Are we really at the end of times or is this world isn't going to end?
You can use English translations of the original biblical texts to suggest that virtually any period is 'the end of days'. It was certainly a popular concept in the time of Marie of Oignies (1177-1213) and before that in the time of Saint Apolline (3rd century martyr). Both of those battled celestials and fiends. But as far as I'm aware, the world didn't end in 390, or 1250, or 1760, or 2000, or 2012. That doesn't mean it won't happen this time around, but in my opinion the oddss are against it.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15   #3
feranaja

I think we are very near to total environmental collapse (and I share that opinion with thousands of experts who know vastly more than I do, which is mostly what my senses tell me) so I do believe a global transformation is at hand. Whether the forces of sanity and goodness will prevail and a new world emerge, a sane world, or not, remains to be seen. But I have always believed that the Biblical story of Armageddon referred to the collapse of the natural world, with all the greed and destruction we have heaped on Mother Gaia. So yes, in way, I feel we are very close to the end of days.
For humans, anyway, which might not be a bad thing, if we are incapable of transcending our history of such vile behaviour.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15   #4
Bartmanhomer

So we're closer than we think huh?
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-15   #5
feranaja

Most experts are saying, 50 - 100 years before the shit hits the fan.

Shane Parrish
Old 04-29-15   #6
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Most experts are saying, 50 - 100 years before the shit hits the fan.
Consensus on Saturday (see 'scalable sustainablility' in 'environment') was that the sh*t has already hit the fan, and there will be a changing, and probably a thinning. But my tame psych pointed out that in the thirteen-fifties, the Black Death killed between 35% and 50% of the European population. Life changed radially, but there wasn't 'the end of days'. The idea of the conference is to promote small projects that'll scale and head the big boys off at the pass before we end up with a 50% thinning.

However, in the absence of changes, I agree with '50 years, 50%', which is softer than what fera's saying, but harder than most people think.

blessings
ffecher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
Old 04-29-15   #7
Nacken

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/List_of...d_of_the_world Predicting the end of the world to be near is a way of grabbing control and money from scared people. Religious leaders have used it countless time. Here is a list. Even predictions in the 20th century are pretty much every year or so.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-15   #8
feranaja

How many of those are backed up by global warming, oil crisis, overpopulation deforestation and more?

Shane Parrish
Old 04-30-15   #9
ffetcher

Quote:
How many of those are backed up by global warming, oil crisis, overpopulation deforestation and more?
If I thought an oil crisis would bring about the end of times, then I'd be less worried about global warming. Okay, joke. Sorry. I do care deeply about the environment, but couldn't quite resist.

To answer the question as asked (sorry to get a bit picky), many of the predictions listed indicate that 'the end of times/days' will involve a global economic meltdown, but at least two have happened in the last century and we still don't seem to be in the end times.

Nostradamus (cited several times), especially if you read the English translations, has been interpreted as predicting any or all of those except deforestation - and I'd bet I could find at least one unfulfilled prophesy that I could use to that effect if I could be bothered to try. Interestingly, several pundits use the prophesies to predict an oil crisis, although at the time there were no cars, oil of any kind from below the earth was at least a century in the future, and the only lamp oil was derived from whales.

To answer the real question, yes, we should worry a great deal about all these things (and I do). But no, none of them have any involvement in the minority Christian view, cited in the OP, based on scripture[1] that we are in the last days now.

blessings
ffetcher

[1] just track back the KJB translation that 'thou shalt not suffer a witch to live'. You only have to go back as far as the Wycliffe translation, also in English and on which the KJB was based, and know a little English history, to see a few of the problems with 'scripture'.
Old 04-30-15   #10
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Realistically probably quite a few of them. Figure the mini ice-age caused a lot of issues and had warnings of the end of times. The Black Death Plague also had many end of times warnings and issues.

The trouble from my opinion is each age likes to think theirs is greater and more devastating that what a prior age faced. Figure 1000 years from now they'll look back on us and think how we over reacted about things. Now as to who 'They' will be that is a different question all together.

Based upon many assumptions from the turn of the century were well ahead and far more greener than they ever anticipated we'd be.