Go Back   EarthSong Forums > General Occult > Magical Personalities

Magical Personalities This forum is for discussion of important contributors to modern magic and the occult - including but not limited to Witchcraft and Wicca, Paganism in general, Ritual Magic and Druidry...

Old 04-23-12   #11
feranaja

Default Re: Who should be who?

Yes indeed, Paul Huson deserves a mention.
http://www.paulhuson.com/

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12   #12
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Stepping into my time machine...
William Blake was a big influence on Austin Osman Spare who deserves a mention, particularly influencing Chaos Magic. Indeed there's a pretty direct line of influence leading to Robert Anton Wilson, there.

Dr. Dee invented or recieved Enochian. Can't have much more influence on magical matters than that.

Eliphas Levi invented or introduced to the world the classic 'To Know, To Dare, To Will, To Be Silent'. (Crowley countered this by spectacularly breaking 'To Be Silent'.)

Hermes Trismegistus may actually have become Thoth and was likely a real person. Whether he was or not, "As Above, So Below," has become enshrined in magical dogma virtually everywhere.

There are others but I think I've covered the main ones.

(Oh alright, honourable mentions go to Shakespeare and Marlowe for Macbeth, The Tempest and Faust in influencing the magical aesthetic if not actual magical practise.)

EDIT : I'd include other semi-or-entirely mythic figures like Merlin in my occultist-with-a-time-machine list but as their works are mostly lost it can't be certain how much they have directly influenced modern magic.

EDIT THE SECOND : Oh, and another couple of honourable mentions to John Milton and Dante whose Paradise Lost and Divine Comedy, though intended to be works exalting God, have a direct influence of Luciferianism and Satanism.

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Lord Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12   #13
feranaja

Funny you posted here, as I was reading it I kept thinking...(for me) Dioscorides...Paracelsus...Morgan la Fay (of course).... Hildegard von Bingen....Virgil...Apulieus....Robert Graves...Tolkein... WY Evans-Wentz...

Shane Parrish
Old 04-23-12   #14
Lord Ruthven
Pater Exemptus

Ah, yes, Paracelsus definitely.
Morgan La Fey didn't get a mention for the same reason Merlin didn't - both inspiring figures but neither left any works in the physical realm so genuine influence is hard to ascertain. Of course, as we've both included writers who were not occultists themselves Geoffry of Monmouth counts as an early compiler of Arthurian legends.

Tolkien I'm not sure about. Influenced the aesthetic of some, no doubt, but his work came from a very Christian place and as such I don't think speaks to the magic world as much as it might. Then I do know some who are highly influenced by its ideas. (I love Tolkien as an author, btw, just not sure about his influence on modern occultism.)

Virgil, of course, should have been included for the same reason I included Shakespeare and Marlowe. (And Homer before him, whether one person or several.) For that matter getting into the classical there is Plato to consider and Ovid.

Robert Graves, yes, and while we're on the subject of antiquarians have people mentioned JG Frazer and Margaret Murray? A lot of their work has since been discredited as fact (esp. the latter's) but it was highly influential on burgeoning neo-paganism.

There are a few names you mentioned I don't know, though:
Dioscorides I had to wiki, though having done so I can't disagree with his inclusion.
I haven't wikied Hildegard von Bingen or WY Evans-Wentz, though, as I think your own description of their work might be more enlightening... so, enlighten me?

"For the meek shall inherit absolutely nothing at all, if you stopped being so feeble you could have so much more" - Pulp 'The Day After The Revolution'
Lord Ruthven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12   #15
feranaja

Hildegard as Healer and Mystic: http://theravenwing.wordpress.com/20...rd-von-bingen/
A pretty fair summary
I feel a great kinship with her in many ways and modern herbalists all owe her a great deal.

Amazon Amazon

Shane Parrish
Old 04-23-12   #16
feranaja

Wentz: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/celt/ffcc/index.htm
Just a very important contribution.

Did anyone mention Caitlin Matthews yet?

Shane Parrish
Old 04-25-13   #17
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Bump.

Any more suggestions or info that people would like to impart? I'd like to think this thread had a lot more mileage in it.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-13   #18
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ruthven View Post
Tolkien I'm not sure about. Influenced the aesthetic of some, no doubt, but his work came from a very Christian place and as such I don't think speaks to the magic world as much as it might. Then I do know some who are highly influenced by its ideas. (I love Tolkien as an author, btw, just not sure about his influence on modern occultism.)
http://www.jayweidner.com/JayTolkien1.htm

Either Tolkien was a closet alchemist, or I'm a monkey's uncle.

Newton authored a translation of the Emerald Tablet. Don't think I've seen him mentioned here.

Phil Hine, one of the more recent rock stars of Chaos Magick. - http://www.philhine.org.uk/

There's also Fenwick Rysen, father of the Fotemacus servitor, and maintainer of chaosmatrix.org.

And only a single mention, and that in passing, of our dearly beloved Uncle Al? For shame, ESF. My ears are burning!
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-13   #19
feranaja

Most of these figures have already been covered, but this might be a useful place or beginners to get to know the names...and, there's a couple here who haven't been mentioned so far.

http://www.dynionmwyn.net/SecretHistory.html

Shane Parrish