Go Back   EarthSong Forums > General Occult > Magical Personalities

Magical Personalities This forum is for discussion of important contributors to modern magic and the occult - including but not limited to Witchcraft and Wicca, Paganism in general, Ritual Magic and Druidry...

Old 05-07-11   #21
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing

Default Re: Starhawk

I've read The Spiral Dance, wasn't into it that much. I have The Earth Path as well, haven't read it much either. Not that intruiging. She's an okay author, but not great.
Old 05-07-11   #22
feranaja

NB, I'd be interested to hear what about these two books you didn't like. I see Starhawk as a phenomenal writer, her theology is so beautiful and her path so eloquently expressed. Since you are a younger generation Witch, and Starhawk doesn't speak to you, I'd be interested to know why not. Can you elaborate?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-11   #23
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing

The Earth Path (from what I read is decent). I did like the cover art on The Spiral Dance. Just something about her writing doesn't catch me. Truthfully in some sections, she almost reminds me of a preacher, 'this is the right way otherwise you're wrong'. A lot of the 'popular' authors in Witchcraft or 'New Age' just don't click with me. In Spiral Dance, there was a lot of group activities, but what about people who are solitary? Her books are fairly long, which is good, but don't always seem to get to the point right away, or sometimes she gives little information on some topics (when I first turned to Paganism and read TSD, there was very little information on the sabbats).

I don't have any solid reason for not liking her books, but may I ask what you like about her books, Fera? I don't particularly see her writing the way you do.
Old 05-07-11   #24
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade_Blooms View Post

I don't have any solid reason for not liking her books, but may I ask what you like about her books, Fera? I don't particularly see her writing the way you do.
Well, I A) haven't read every one, and B) I didn't love Dreaming the Dark or Truth or Dare (but I read them 20 years ago so a re-read is definitely in order. THAT fera didn't like them; this one might see more).

But, The Spiral Dance remains a classic, powerful, beautiful call to Paganism,Goddess spirituality, and the ethics these things imply - and what do I love about it?

Probably above all;it's emphasis on putting one's money where one's mouth is; so if you believe the earth so sacred, for pity's sake stop throwing your garbage all over Her...the mature spiritual outlook that whatever one reveres, so too must one steward and care for..her innerwork is good foundational stuff, and her writing poetic and eloquent.

The Earth Path is a followup based on many years - decades - of living these ideals and finessing them.

In a nutshell; while I never found Starhawk preachy at all, just a little Dianic for my tastes in her early days, I do revere the same concepts as she does, that the Earth is our Mother, and we must take care of Her.

Maybe the fact she is now so out of vogue endears her to me all the more. but her writings express what I hold most dear. I hope that answers your question; it doesn't feel quite adequate.

fera

Shane Parrish
Old 05-07-11   #25
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing

Fera, I can see things from your perspective, but I still don't click with her.

She points out problems, but I am yet to see her give any idea to a solution. I do agree that we have to take better care of Gaia, but look at how many trees would've been cut down to make her books. Isn't that just a bit hypocritical?

I don't like the spells she puts in her books either. Somehow they just feel too distant and bland. A good basis maybe, but that's about it, imo.
Old 05-07-11   #26
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade_Blooms View Post
Fera, I can see things from your perspective, but I still don't click with her.

She points out problems, but I am yet to see her give any idea to a solution. I do agree that we have to take better care of Gaia, but look at how many trees would've been cut down to make her books. Isn't that just a bit hypocritical?

I don't like the spells she puts in her books either. Somehow they just feel too distant and bland. A good basis maybe, but that's about it, imo.
I think Starhawk's spells provide a good basis for those starting out, but may be too simplistic for those with a solid background. As for her activism, I think there's a lot of resources on her website - have you had a look? This strikes me as a lady with a lot of ideas, if not "solutions" per se.

http://www.starhawk.org/
Personally, I have been composting,recycling, weaning myself off chemicals in beauty products, home maintenance and foods, learning ,herbalism and working toward education others for the past 2 decades. I'e moved from citylife to country and soon, to deep forest living and sustainability. I owe a lot of that to Starhawk, initially. I think that counts for something - maybe your generation just needs a voice more resonant with your own zeitgeist.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-07-11   #27
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing

I don't like her books much, so no, never checked her website.

I rarely wear makeup, and usually not much of.Trying to use more natural products when I can. Your herbalism threads are great (could I maybe PM you sometime, I would like to try herbalism, but not too sure where to begin). I don't litter and I hate shopping, so less waste there. Truthfully, I don't see her as any different than most authors out there, didn't make me think of things at all. That may change over time, but I don't know.
Old 05-07-11   #28
feranaja

It's not my job to change your mind; I grew deeply from my initial contact with Starhawk and I maintain she is a better introduction to Witchcraft (in her sense of it) thn much of what's out there. but we do and read and practise what moves us. I am sure you will find authours that speak to you, your ethics and sensibilities, as well.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-10-11   #29
SJA

Just downloaded to the Kindle: "Exploring the Pagan Path: Wisdom From the Elders" by Kristen Madden and many other authors.

I will share my opinion of Starhawk after I read her part.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by SJA; 05-10-11 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Link Issues
SJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-11   #30
Lokabrenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJA View Post
Just downloaded to the Kindle: "Exploring the Pagan Path: Wisdom From the Elders" by Kristen Madden and many other authors.

I will share my opinion of Starhawk after I read her part.

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Paga...5047634&sr=8-1
I have this book and I still keep going back to it. It was extremely helpful when I was trying to figure out which tradition was the right fit for me. Some of the information might seem a little basic to more advanced practitioners though.

Unfortunately I don't recall exactly what Starhawk said in her article.
Lokabrenna is offline   Reply With Quote