Go Back   EarthSong Forums > General Occult > Magical Personalities

Magical Personalities This forum is for discussion of important contributors to modern magic and the occult - including but not limited to Witchcraft and Wicca, Paganism in general, Ritual Magic and Druidry...

Old 10-28-11   #1
ffetcher

Default Who should be who?

This area has been here with 'never' for a few days now, looking lonely and forgotten. I suspect that this may be because no-one wants to start. To an extent I feel the same way: on yer bog-standard forum, I'd lay out basic biogs of the good folks involved with the founding of modern Wicca, but we have Ben Gruagach on here and whilst on something like Wikipedia I'd have at it and collaborate with him and others, that won't quite work in a forum rather than a Wiki, so I'd prefer that he starts and I comment.

Instead, let's have a thread where we discuss who should be here, and then maybe someone will feel brave enough to start the details - we can delete this thread afterwards.

Okay, so for yer actual Wicca, then Gerald Gardner, Doreen Valiente, Lois Bourne, Maxine and Alex Sanders, Janet and Stewart Farrar, Gavin Bone immediately spring to mind. There are plenty of others, so why doesn't someone else step up - especially with regards to the foundation of Bluestar and so on.

One relatively unsung hero is George Sullivan, founder of the ROCF, which, whatever the truth of Gardner's involvement, certainly contained the nucleus of the coven Gardner publicised. I may actually be the closest ESF has to being an expert here, so if no-one else bites I shall inflict my commentary on the forum sometime over the weekend.

From the period immediately following there's Janet Glass (although we start to get controversial already), Sybil Leek who also lived just down the road from me, and a fair few others. again., all I'm doing here is to start the ball rolling.

For modern day players this side of the pond, we certainly have Gerald Suster, Phil Hine, Robert Turner, Alan Richardson, Gareth Knight, Sirona Roney-Dougal, Emma Restall-Orr (Bobcat), Delores Ashcroft-Nowicki and so on and so on.

Moving back a bit, clearly Dion Fortune, Charles Seymour, Christine Campbell Thompson, Aleister Crowley, Samuel and Moina McGregor Mathers, William Butler Yates, other parts being played by members of the cast.

But again, here, I'm working outwards from my own background, and there will be a plethora of people I've missed, especially in some corners of foreign fields...

So come on, add to the list for us, and let's see if we can get the ball rolling...

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)

Last edited by ffetcher; 11-16-11 at 12:23 PM. Reason: typos
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-11   #2
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Default Re: Who should be who?

I'll have to go away and think of some people you haven't yet mentioned...
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-11   #3
feranaja

Starhawk
Raymond Buckland
Marian Green
Phillip Carr-Gomm

off the top of my head, I need some more coffee...

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-11   #4
David_2010

I'd add Scott Cunningham, and, I'll try to think of some more.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11   #5
Cassie
Lady of the Left

There seem to be quite a few good suggestions already. Would somebody like to start the ball rolling with one of them? I don't really feel knowledgeable enough.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-11   #6
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
There seem to be quite a few good suggestions already. Would somebody like to start the ball rolling with one of them? I don't really feel knowledgeable enough.
Yeah. With the ezine put to bed from my point of view, I set to work, rather than on Sullivan, to put together a piece on Sybil Leek (who had an antique shop in Burley, just down the road, opposite which is one of my wife's favourite cream tea places).

I thought that with Sybil, I might be able to put together a basic summary to which others could add, and that since she emigrated to the US, everyone could play and I might learn new bits and pieces about a local person (giving me extra kudos locally, mwahaha). She may also be the only modern era pagan/occultist to be the subject of a mixed-media/puppet show aimed at schoolchildren. Good candidate, I thought.

I immediately ran other problems that may be stopping people.

As with many other people who helped form the modern pagan scene, and as with all those I've known personally, she passed on verbally a background that simply can't be verified one way or the other; bits of that background are repeated uncritically both in print and on the internet; and, disputing that background can lead to tears before bedtime. I'll carry on trying tomorrow morning.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
Old 11-16-11   #7
DonelleBeira

I cannot contribute one whit to this thread....but I wait to hear what those who can contribute have to share and anticipate learning a great deal from each of you.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-11   #8
ffetcher

Good to see some responses on the Sybil Leek thread, in particular the agreement that perhaps not all of what is regularly repeated as fact is actually literally true.

I guess I can work through all the known members of the ROCF, indicating those where there's evidence they were part of the inner group that may have been the coven into which Gardner was initiated. Now note my wording there, since I don't want to start flame wars on ESF. If I do, then you'll get my standard take on the situation there, which lies between the extremes of Heselton and Hutton, just so you know what you'll be getting. Anyone else want to stick their head above the parapet?

Note to self: add in Rosamund and George Sabine.

blessings
ffetcher
Old 11-17-11   #9
DonelleBeira

ROCF = Rosicrucian Order Crotona Fellowship?

(somehow none of these seem to fit -
Remote Object Class Factory
Remote Operator Console Facility
Rey-Osterrieth Complex Figure
Rey-Osterrieth Complex Figure test
received on certificate from )

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11   #10
SoulFire

Victor and Cora Anderson
Doreen Valiente
Cecil Williamson
Paul Huson