Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Knowledge is Power > Intermediate Tarot

Intermediate Tarot This will be a short (8-10 weeks) course combining some Introductory information, but focusing primarily on early Intermediate work, working with the cards in short readings, exercises and meditations to open the flow between knowledge and intuition. Emphasis is on combining intellectual familiarity with the symbolism, and personal insight and interpretation. Not for total beginners.

Old 10-17-11   #11
feranaja

Default Re: Week one, part four - I

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
This ought to have been easy for me, since I do story-telling from time to time.

Ten of Cups - Three of Swords - Death

Gee thanks. the analytical side kicks in immediately... must... resist...

It was the happiest day of their lives, moving into their new home. They invited the rest of the village to the house and threw a huge party with a great deal of drink. In the morning they found a man they didn't know stabbed many times. No-one could remember who had done it - or at least no-one would finger anyone else - it quickly became clear that in death he was better liked than he ever had been in life.

Thanks for the exercise, fera', It's quite fun as well as enlightening. I'll try another one tomorrow, maybe it'll come out less derivative.

blessings
ffetcher
I have to say I find reading the stories entertaining and helpful for me - I get a bit dogmatic about meanings and it's good to see how the cards might be stretched or used in other ways.
I would have said here " They were happy and enjoying life until the cad husband had an affair and broke his wife's heart, so she left him, transformed her life into something purposeful and beautiful and free".

Maybe a bit literal, huh?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11   #12
feranaja

Default Re: Week one, part four - II

Quote:
Star - Justice - Ace of Swords

hmm. The deck is clearly trying to tell me something; I'm just not sure what - possibly that it's specifically tempting me to analyse when I shouldn't. As an[other] aside, the Star is one of my favourite cards.

The woman has come down to the river to fetch water. She's arrested for nudity and brought before the king, but far from having her locked up, he applies justice by marrying her.

Best I can do right now: as fera' no doubt expected, I'm having problems distancing myself and concentrating on the imagery. I'll think about it and add a new version in if the muse takes me during the day.

- - -

I never did. but it's a good exercise, which I'll continue to use on and off. Now to type up my fairly feeble attempt at part three...

- - -

blessings
ffetcher
That's a tough one though! Again I'd be somewhat literally-minded, something like "Hope and beauty balanced with good judgement and fair treatment of others brings an intellectual awakening and much wisdom".
But yeah - it's tough! I though we were just using the Minors, so as to avoid this conundrum or did I just think I wrote that?

Shane Parrish
Old 10-17-11   #13
feranaja

Default Re: Week one part three

Quote:
When you read this you'll understand that again only part of the time was spent playing catch-up after being ill. It seemed like cheating to do 'I need to win another contract' (although I do) or stuff like that, because I wouldn't learn anything much from doing it. But I needed to make sure we were both comfortable with what follows...

Three for the story

I need to be more tolerant of my wife's not organising her time or prioritising tasks at home. I'm not the best person at this myself but over the last couple of years she's been driving me nuts. It drives me nuts but she's under such pressure at work that it's not fair for me to get uptight at home.

These have my own personal meanings attached. The follow-ups have some workings . Feel free, anyone, to ask about the rest, but please note that I/we don't actually need advice on handling what's really happening. However, alternative card suggestions would be very welcome.

Edit: I didn't mean that the way it probably came over. It's just that some of the 'good advice' that s been posted on some other thread, errrm, hasn't been. Anything you'd say at a reading, fair game on this thread. Anything you think I'm personally doing wrong, PM me and I'll make sure my wife sees it as well. Okay?

Edit again:
I just saw fera's later comment on not using reversed cards. I'll take it on board, but this was hard enough first time around, I'm d*mn sure not redoing it.

Five of cups [You will be yelled at for not wanting to use your mobile from the outside lane of the M3 to call friends who already know you'll be late, until you know roughly how late.]

King of wands reversed [You will need to be very quiet round the house until mid-day when the alarm goes off, because she stayed up until 2:30 last night ironing progressively less efficiently. However, you mustn't go for a walk in case she wakes up and you're not there]

Ten of cups reversed.[You will pace round the house fretting because she left half an hour late for her practice and you know she'll be driving at stupid speeds along the A34]

Three for where it's heading (this is fairly easy)

Queen of Swords

Four of cups

Sic of swords

Three for how I want it to develop

three of swords (there are plenty of others, but this fits best).

two of wands (toss-up between this and the eight, but I'm a realist)

two of cups (oh, come on, after over twenty years together, I'm allowed, surely?)

Three for obstacles (there are so many fits, and I'm only allowed three?)

eight of wands reversed ( had to be a reversed wands, also considered the five and the page)

seven of cups (thought of the six reversed, but I don't like too many reversed cards)

nine of swords

Three for skills (difficult)

three of wands (doesn't really count, but I'll trade it for the page of pentacles)

page of wands

Knight of pentacles (wanted the page but it's sadly over-egging the case.)

blessings
ffetcher
First of all I have to remark that your sensitivity toward your wife and the work you put in to keep a longterm marriage good, is heartwarming to see. It sounds like you work toward balancing her needs and limitations with your own, and that's the whole art of it, I think - this is an idiosyncratic interpretation but it seems to work for you - and you know the cards already so the meanings will be true for you.
have these exercises been worthwhile?

Shane Parrish
Old 10-17-11   #14
ffetcher

Default Re: Week one part three

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
First of all I have to remark that your sensitivity toward your wife and the work you put in to keep a longterm marriage good, is heartwarming to see. It sounds like you work toward balancing her needs and limitations with your own, and that's the whole art of it, I think - this is an idiosyncratic interpretation but it seems to work for you - and you know the cards already so the meanings will be true for you.
have these exercises been worthwhile?
Eek, fera', I didn't realise how anxious I'd feel when I had to open your responses. Thanks for your gentle and caring attitude. The exercises have been very useful, worthwhile, I'd even say 'enlightening'.

I like your interpretation of the stories as well, it's interesting to compare, and I'll try that one a few more times. I've worked through the relationship spread, but haven't discussed it with my wife yet; and I'm on day five of the 'seven days'.

That latter prompts a small point: since you were kind enough to say 'idiosyncratic' and that I 'know the cards already so the meanings will be true for' me, [for which thanks for your kindness and indulgence] you should know that I have a 'scary card' for tomorrow, when I have a sales pitch. I know you have 'befriending the scary cards already, and I'll post there soon, but I've also seen this kind of thing turn into a self-fulfilling prophesy (a close friend's husband used to do an equivalent of a 'daily draw' and got quite messed up for a while, for example). If you don't have this later in the syllabus, perhaps we could discuss it somewhere. Personally I'm not in need of advice as to what to do this time around, but in different circumstances, who knows?

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11   #15
ffetcher

Default Re: Week one, part four - II

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
But yeah - it's tough! I though we were just using the Minors, so as to avoid this conundrum or did I just think I wrote that?
I thought the Minors was the limit for the 'three for the story' exercise - but I may equally have read it wrong, in which case I may have made both exercises more difficult than was needed. Never mind, I'm supposed to thrive on challenges.

ETA - since I couldn't remember the name of the exercise just then, mind addle-pated brain was drawn to 'one for the money, two for the show, three to get ready and four to go' rhyme. I may just try that one myself...

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote