Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Egyptian Studies

Egyptian Studies A forum for discussing the Religion, Spirituality and Academia of the Ancient Egyptians

Old 02-07-11   #1
GabrielWithoutWings

Default Greater than the sum of their parts.

I was thinking about Kemetic deities' tendencies to combine forms and become something different.

If I remember correctly, when Set and Horus the Elder combine, they become the Bawy.

What are some other combinations?
GabrielWithoutWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-11   #2
The Black Elf

Default Re: Greater than the sum of their parts.

I usually work in 3's,5's & 7's GWW.....Bawy sounds interesting,have never heard of this before.Never heard of them working together at all,although accept that all things must change & everything shall pass.......

I had previously worked with a trinity involving Anubis which I liked.Baby Anubis as son/Sun/Om

Will research the Bawy - where did you hear of this?

I find Set to be more approachable than Horus,although Horus knows me on sight!

Paradox is your greatest friend in VOID!(echo,echo,echo,echo)TeamPull of mirrors)

When things No Longer seem contrar',discoveringis of t'other ar'!John Barbour(14thc)

With a strong will,patience & hard work,anything can be acheived - Liudmila(Babulja)R.I.P.(10/2/11)Temple of The Star.

That which has never been lost cannot be hidden

Last edited by The Black Elf; 02-07-11 at 10:21 AM.
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-11   #3
Lilith
Of The Void

I cant find any info on this Bawy, also first time i heard about Set and Horus combining.. Where did you get this info from?
Old 02-08-11   #4
Darth Brooks
What Would Typhon Do?

I'm not sure about the name Bawy (have to look it up), but Horus and Seth were indeed originally believed to be two sides of the same coin. This is what is called the Secret of the Two Partners, which I described in detail in the following thread:

http://www.earthsongforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=6725

As for Gabe's question, some other Netjer combinations include (but are not limited to):

Amen-Ra
Atum-Ra (or Ra-Tem)
Banebdjet*
Hermanubis (Hermes & Anubis)
Hermes Trimegistus (Hermes & Thoth)
Jupiter-Ammon
Ptah-Seker-Osiris
Ra-Harmachis or Ra-Horakhte (Ra & Horus)
Sebek-Ra
Sekhmet-Bast-Ra
Serapis (Osiris & the Apis Bull)

Also, the Goddesses Nuit, Hathor, Isis, Nephthys, Neith, and Serqet were often identified with one another, Isis and Nephthys being the most popular duality. In The Golden Ass of Apulieus, Isis was also identified with Demeter, Cecropian Minerva, Venus of Paphos, Diana, Stygian Proserpina, Ceres, Juno, Bellona, and Hekate.

And then of course there is Seth-Typhon or Typhon Seth and Bolchoseth, or "Ba'al who strikes as Seth."

*Banebdjet, the Ram of Mendes, is either an alternate form of Osiris or Khnum, though some argue He may actually be both. He is the figure upon which Eliphas Levi based his version of Baphomet as "the Goat of Mendes."
Old 02-08-11   #5
GabrielWithoutWings

I got Bawy from the Kemetic Orthodox forums here.
Old 02-08-11   #6
GabrielWithoutWings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Brooks View Post
I'm not sure about the name Bawy (have to look it up), but Horus and Seth were indeed originally believed to be two sides of the same coin. This is what is called the Secret of the Two Partners, which I described in detail in the following thread:

http://www.earthsongforums.com/forum...ead.php?t=6725

As for Gabe's question, some other Netjer combinations include (but are not limited to):

Amen-Ra
Atum-Ra (or Ra-Tem)
Banebdjet*
Hermanubis (Hermes & Anubis)
Hermes Trimegistus (Hermes & Thoth)
Jupiter-Ammon
Ptah-Seker-Osiris
Ra-Harmachis or Ra-Horakhte (Ra & Horus)
Sebek-Ra
Sekhmet-Bast-Ra
Serapis (Osiris & the Apis Bull)

Also, the Goddesses Nuit, Hathor, Isis, Nephthys, Neith, and Serqet were often identified with one another, Isis and Nephthys being the most popular duality. In The Golden Ass of Apulieus, Isis was also identified with Demeter, Cecropian Minerva, Venus of Paphos, Diana, Stygian Proserpina, Ceres, Juno, Bellona, and Hekate.

And then of course there is Seth-Typhon or Typhon Seth and Bolchoseth, or "Ba'al who strikes as Seth."

*Banebdjet, the Ram of Mendes, is either an alternate form of Osiris or Khnum, though some argue He may actually be both. He is the figure upon which Eliphas Levi based his version of Baphomet as "the Goat of Mendes."
Oh... look. I've gone cross-eyed.

Very cool stuff.
Old 02-09-11   #7
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

I think part of what is missing here is that many times we see compilation of gods / goddess as the regions stabalized. For instance Ptah-Sekor-Osiris is a prime example of regional merging.

Ptah is the god of craftsman and such. Sekor is also a god of craftsman but was pretty much located about Memphis. Sekor was also associated with the dead and psychopomp activities. In that capacity he was seen in association with Osiris.

Yet to meld them and make them whole Sekor & Ptah were joined in the capacity of craftsmen and creation. Sekor and Osiris were merged and joined in the capacity of Death, rebirth, creation. That trinity also seen in similarity to Bast - Sehkmet - Ra.

The same can be said of Bast - Sehkmet - Ra. Prior to the Merging of the Upper and Lower Kingdom Bast was a war goddess (Lower Kingdom) and seen as the Eye of Ra. Sehkmet was a war goddess of the Upper Kingdom yet when Egypt was united beneath one greater Kingdom Sehkmet became the predominate war goddess and associated to Ra, becoming the Eye of Ra. Bast was revamped to become a Lunar goddess and associated to the Eye of Horas. Yet there was a brief period during the middle kindgom where the attributes of both Bast and Sehkment were bestowed upon Pahket.