Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Celtic Studies

Celtic Studies A forum for discussing Celtic-based spirituality, the cultures that inspire them, and all things Celtic; history, art, myth and legend, folklore, religion and magic

Old 06-30-10   #11
MalackStormfire

Default Re: Celtic Deity of the week

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuadu_of_Kildare View Post
That elvish thing really damaged that film for me. Like the princess Nuala twin to Nuada... her name is modern and should be said Noola not Noo-ah-la. Ah I love HellBoy 1 so HB2 wasnt going to live up to my standards no matter what they did with it really... but that bugged me cos I know lots of Nuala's lol
Yeah, I studied Gaeilgefor about a year and picked up on Irish pronunciation pretty well... lol thats about it though sadly. A year of study and I couldnt figure out how to properly say "hello, my name is..." lol. Its been the hardest language ive tried to learn thus far but back to my point: the whole Noo-ah-la thing made me cringe a bit too, regardless of her name being modern or not the pronunciation in the old and new dialects would still have been Noola as far as I know. Its the small details that make a movie for me so I was a bit let down with HB2 but overall I enjoyed it.
Old 07-01-10   #12
Meadhbh

Of course Nuadu loosing his hand also ties into the death of Miach. And wither or not some one who had lost a body part could still rule. As Nuadu had to step down until Miach and Airmed were able to make him another admitly silver one. Information on him is a little harder to come by than some of the other perhaps more famous Irish deities. I've also heard mention of Nuada and clouds so maybe he could also be connected with agriculture. Which ties in with the concept that the ruler is tied to the health of the land.
Old 07-14-10   #13
Nuadu_of_Kildare

Arg the forum ate my god of the week post!!!

Ah well... off we go again

The god of the week, week 2

The Dagda

Possible Alternate Names:

Aed Alainn, Aed Rua Rofeassa, Cu Rui mac Daire, An Dagda, An Dagda Deis, An Dagda Dian, An Dagda Donn, A Dagda Mac Ealatha, Daire, Daire Barrach, Daire Dearg, Daire Doimhtheach, Daire Donn, Daire mac Deadhadh, Daire mac Sidhe Bhoilg, Daire Sirchreachtach, Eochaid Ollithir and Sucellos.

Some myths
Look for the above names and youll find him in most of Irish lit but maryjones.us has: The wooing of Etain, the Second battle of moytura, the satire against bres, the Tain and the Life of saint Patrick by Muirchu.

His Charactor in Mythological Narrative

The Dagda in narrative is a king of the Tuatha De Danann, the one who most often sleeps with Goddesses to bring good into the world. He has a massive club that digs a trench across the land as he walks and that can kill with one end and give life with the other. He has a cauldron of plenty that never runs dry and a voracious appetite to match it. He is said to have had a magic anvil sacred to blacksmiths. When Bres takes power the dagda is a shaper of the landscape building raths. Which considering took whole communities to accomplish is still a feat worth mentioning. He is a master of magic and sends nuadu away on a task enchanting him so he cant tell day from night while the Dagda sleeps with his wife to concieve Aengus/the Mac Og. His 3 grandsons Kill Lugh and are in turn killed, he is father to 3 brigits.

Possible Functions:
As far as some Druids are concerned the Dagda is THE GOD of Druids and not without good reason. He matches Caesars accounts of the god of the druids very well - the Dis pater the father of all who guides the dead both of which are implied in his names. Dagda Donn (donn being the most famous god of the dead) and Eochaid Allithir possibly the well endowed father of many. He contains knowlege as his name Aed Rua Rofeassa implies, and the red in the names Dagda Dearg and Aed Rua implies and otherworld source for the knowlege. Magical or inspirational knowlege rather then learned or experential knowlege.

Otherworld ancestor like Nuadu, so like him a psychopomp for those families and I would imagine an especially potent one given his links as a god of the dead. He was traditionally a patron of blacksmiths or metallurgy which at that time was probably a very magical affair. He may also be a god of learning being himself a store of knowlege.

Ive got baby Jackdaws calling for food in my garden so Im off to feed them. If anyone knows of associations or has anything to add fire away. Im sure Ive more to add myself.
Nuadu_of_Kildare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-10   #14
Meadhbh

The Dagda is also famous for his club. It can both kill mean and return them to life. And as I recall a talented harp player. Of course his tunic is also to short and he has a bad habbit of getting into shennigans with the local ruler. People also pair him with Danu although we do know he and the Morrigan have had a couple of tryst themselves.
Old 07-21-10   #15
Nuadu_of_Kildare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadhbh View Post
The Dagda is also famous for his club. It can both kill mean and return them to life. And as I recall a talented harp player. Of course his tunic is also to short and he has a bad habbit of getting into shennigans with the local ruler. People also pair him with Danu although we do know he and the Morrigan have had a couple of tryst themselves.
Thats a good point Meadhbh Danu and the Morrigan are compared in Cormacs Glossary, they might be the same or a similar type of deity. From that we might construct a pantheon similar to the greek or roman.

Deity of the week week 3:

The Morrigan:

Aeron, Agrona, Andraste, Badhbh, An Badhbh Catha, An Bean Sidhe, Be Neit, Cathubodua, Danu, Fea, Macha, Mongfionn, Mor Mumhan, An Mór Ríogain, An Mor Ríogan (the accent mark on the O is the difference there) An Morrigu, Neamhain, Rhiannon, Rigana, Riganona, The washer at the ford.

Some myths the morrigan appears in:

These are available on maryjones.us
The book of invasions, the First battle of Moytura, the second battle of moytura, tain bo Cuailnge/The cattle raid of cooley... there are lots more if anyone wants to add one that they like then fire away.

Charactor in Narrative:
In Narrative the Morrigan is represented as a deity concerned with war or battle but the most significant part of the deity is sometimes obfuscated by that. In the second battle of Moytura as Meadhbh Meantioned we see the Morrigan performing in the heiros Gamos the sacred marriage as a sovereignty queen. The Morrigan as a name may indicate that
though battle is a part of a sovereignty queens functions the sovereignty function of fertility, protection and possibly motherhood was a much more significant part of the deity then the battle function she is defined by.

Any name with the prefix meaning exhaulted, great or large identifies the deity as not only being a special patron of a tribal people but also as an otherworld ancestor first among deities in the peoples esteem. For a feminine deity the position most relevant to the name is the mother goddess and sovereignty queen. Mor is specific to mother goddesses, a female deity considered the literal mother of the people and Ríogan meaning queen indicates a sovereignty function where the Goddess of the people is immanent (incarnate...) in the land. Literally being the tribal land itself, the crops, the cattle and the people possibly to the point of possession. She made the land and cattle fertile, staved off diseases and helped her people expand their tribal lands or defend from their enemies.

The interpretation of Mor Riogan the Great Queen implies that outside narrative, The Morrigan was far more then just a battle deity, though that part is obviously always going to be there.

Possible Functions:

Mother Goddess, Sovereignty Queen, War/Battle Deity, Patron of Prophecy, Trickster deity.

Possible Associations (guesswork):
Black in the war function, Green in the mother/sovereignty function, Red in the otherworld knowlege/prophecy function, Cats, Cows and Ravens/Corvids.
Old 07-29-10   #16
Nuadu_of_Kildare

(grumble forum ate my post again)
This weeks Celtic Deity of the week is:

Donn:

Pronunciation:
Don

Meaning:
Literally Brown intended to mean Dark.

Da Dagda, Da Derga, Dhuosnos, Diarmuid Donn, Donn Bin Eachlabhra, Donn Dumaighe, Donn Fírenne, Donn Frigrinn, Donn na Duimche, Donn Mac Cromain, Donn Maguire, Donn son of Mil Espaine, Mac Creiche, Gearóid Iarla FitzGerald, Ladru, Manannan, Tethra.

Myths the deity appears in:

The book of invasions, the destruction of da derga's hostel/the violent death of Conaire mar, the dindsenchas entry for Tech nDuinn. Medieval and current folklore in Counties Clare, Kerry and Limerick.

Possible Sacred Sites:

The Great Dunes/The Dumcha, Dunbeg, Co. Clare
Bull Rock/Tech nDuinn, Kenmare Bay, Co. Kerry
Knockfeirna/Cnoc Firenne, Co Limerick.

Possible Functions:
Death Deity, Psychopomp, father deity, weather magic.

Possible Associations:
Bulls, Horses, Pigs, Brown, Red, the sea.

The charator in Narrative:

One of the mortals who arrive to defeat the Tuatha De Danann. Donn is cursed by Eriu before he reaches the shore and is the first person to drown. In another story Donn is an ominous death deity whos red servants are omens of violent death. In folklore he is a king who battles an opposing fairy army at lughnasa for good weather and crops for his province. In the medieval the anglo norman family of the desmond/Munster fitzgerald had him as a famous magician and ancestor along with Áine.
Old 08-04-10   #17
Nuadu_of_Kildare

Since its that time of year and Lughnasa is just gone. This weeks Celtic Deity of the week is:

Lugh

Pronounced : Loo or Loog (valid regional variations exist)

Possible alternate names:
An Scál, Carroll O'Daly, Cearbhal Ó Dálaigh, Delbaeth, Esus, Fionnlugh, Gaulish Mercury, Llew llawgyffes, Lugaidh Laoighdhe, Lugaidh Mac Con, Lugaidh Riabhdhearg, Lugio, Lug Laibach, Lugh Leathshuantach, Lugh mac Eithlinn, Mac Lugdach.

Myths the deity appears in:

The second battle of Moytura, the cattle raid of cooley and others available on maryjones.us

Possible function:
famously the harvest bringer, otherworld ancestor, oath taker, battle deity, sun god. Patron of skilled workers including shoe makers.

Associations:
Dogs, shoes, light, storms.

In narrative:

Son or grandson of a tyrant that he is destined to kill, Lugh is an omnifunctional deity who becomes the king and champion of the most skilled people of Ireland. The Tuatha De Danann. Lugh is the father of Irelands greatest warrior in the Tain and its remsceala - Cu Chulainn.

Possible sacred sites:

Rath Lugh near Tara Hill in Co Meath
Usnagh Hill/Uisnech Mide near Tara Hill in Co Meath
Temuir na Ri, Tara Hill in Co Meath
Dunlewy/Dún Lúiche in Co Donegal
barroe north Cairn, Seelewey/Suí Lugh/Lugh's seat in Co. Sligo.
Old 08-04-10   #18
The Black Elf

*DEATH TO THE TYRANT*

Freedom to the slave,
Fortune to the Brave,
& may yer giving hand
never wither!

*Food & wine for my men,we ride at dawn*
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-10   #19
Nuadu_of_Kildare

Hi Ho drunkness away!

Lughnasa is a heck of a binge around here! I was dyin for two days...
Old 08-04-10   #20
The Black Elf

Adding to your very fine reputation Nuada of Kildare.....you do know who we are going to kill buddy?

An Scál, Carroll O'Daly, Cearbhal Ó Dálaigh, Delbaeth, Esus, Fionnlugh, Gaulish Mercury, Llew llawgyffes, Lugaidh Laoighdhe, Lugaidh Mac Con, Lugaidh Riabhdhearg, Lugio, Lug Laibach, Lugh Leathshuantach, Lugh mac Eithlinn, Mac Lugdach.

How far back are/do these names go,d'y'think? How many civilisations ago/ages/aeons however you care to measure them?
The Black Elf is offline   Reply With Quote