Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > The Magic of Scent

The Magic of Scent Using oils and incense, fragrance in general in magical workings and healing

Old 08-24-10   #11
Lilith
Of The Void

Default Re: Your favourite scent/perfume, incense etc.?

Issey Myake limited edition summer scent.

also of course many of the above mentioned natural smells, adding to that, myrrh, frankincense, sandalwood and cedar wood. Oh, also love the smell of clay and earth..
Old 08-24-10   #12
ChefWitch
Kitchen Magician

If we're talking perfumes then here are my current favorites:

Black by Kenneth Cole
Cherie by Christian Dior
Black Cashmere by Donna Karan
Pure Turquoise by Ralph Lauren
Tresor by Lancome

I don't have all of them at the moment; I have Black, Cherie & Black Cashmere. I also have a pretty big variety of scented oils and a few body sprays. I'll use the same perfumes for a few years and then change up when I'm tired of it; by the end of the year I'll be ready for a bottle of the Pure Turquoise.
ChefWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10   #13
Kuroyagi

Thanks everyone, reading through all of your replies, I could relive some of my own experiences and remember some more; my late granny for example always used Calèche by Hermès; also I agree with nearly all that Mdme Krishna/Inkdreamer wrote above but chocolate which is ok but too intensive for me.

fera, btw I remembered that you like Guerlain from an older post! I think that esp. wet dog doesn't smell too well, if you'll excuse me (well, mine didn't at the time), but I also like horses' smell...I have grown up partly in the 'woods' so to speak but always was more a plant or elemental person, I still can remember that very strong and distinct 'fox' smell that was also not so much mine, but I like fir neddles, the after-rain-smell esp. on beech forrests or a mid-summer Alpine sun on a clearing with rasberries and bumblebees, and yes (oktobersky), I also like the smell of snow, in late autumn one can smell it before it will start!

Smell is an important sense to me, more so it seems than to others and everytime it is mentioned in some literary text (which unfortunately isn't too often) I rejoice.

Anyway, this all reminds me that I sometime should read Proust [famous Madeleine [cookie]-scene came to mind], but mabye- like anyone else- I never will...one book about smell that I did read and like well enough was The Perfume by Patrick Süskind which I can warmly recommend. Another one I haven't read yet but that I am planning to is Luca Turin: The Secret of Scent; check it on amazon should you be interested.

katiafish: incidentally one of my friends had used that in its original vers., was at the beginning of the 90s IIRC, a very fresh but flowery smell, afaicr.

mr.cheese- yes Attar of Roses etc...as I said I'm using those perfumes I mentioned above in various seasons (another fav is/was Acqua di Parma for summer, very elegant) but unchangingly cause I consider them classics; but additionally I also sometimes buy some more fashionable ones or try out new ones: this year for summer e.g. Gucci Sport, twas okaish...next I'll some time get another classic to try out- from the exclusive maker Creed, maybe Green Irish Tweed; all in all I also like fresh, simple citrus fragrances a lot, like Trumper's Essence of Limes!
Kuroyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10   #14
Tweed

I'm quite fond of the smell of a good ale, eau de la femme (if you catch my drift), and burning cannabis sativa, whether or not I partake.
Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10   #15
Kuroyagi

Curiously I have never smoked cannabis in my life (and am not in the least interested in it), but I'm with you on the other two things*...also single malts, as I said above, aren't bad- one fav is e.g. Laphroaig...We have literary hundreds of small breweries here in Austria, the whole 16th district of Vienna smells like beer and although I enjoy guzzling it, I'm glad that I don't live there!

* certain Tantric schools worship the physical or sublimated sexual fluids of the female homo sapiens², who are called in this context the suvasini, the well-smelling girls.
Kuroyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-10   #16
Tweed

The quaizy tobakky smells pretty nice, whether or not you partake. Unless it's really cheap MJ. Then it smells vaguely like the North American species Mephitis mephitis.
Tweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10   #17
EntwinedSoul

fav perfumes are Opium and Pheromone
EntwinedSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10   #18
Silver Birch

Location: Next door but one to the house with the blue fence.

Mandarina Duck is the only fragrance I can wear without getting a headache.
Silver Birch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10   #19
Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Birch View Post
Mandarina Duck is the only fragrance I can wear without getting a headache.
How did you find that out? There are a couple of scents that have caused anaphylactic allergic reaction in me, but my daughter threw out the scented candle before my head cleared and I could ask her what scent it was.

I'm very sensitive to the scent of perfume or after shave, or any perfumed product. I have Sensory Integration Disorder and I have allergies. Even out in the fresh air at yard sales and such if someone is near me wearing perfume I have to move away quickly. Getting stuck next to person wearing scent - in the checkout line at the store, sitting at a concert or other event, seated at the next table at a restaurant - when possible I move away.

I cannot visit most doctor's offices because they all have scented candles burning in the reception area - seems like all the offices are doing that these days. Which means I can't take my grandchildren to see the doctor - we have to schedule everything on my daughter's day off even if it means a sick child has to wait to see the doctor.

I actually had to leave my granddaughter's music concert at school last year because the auditorium was packed and someone in the row in front of me was wearing enough scent for 10 people. There was nowhere to move to so I had no choice but to leave or to suffer from asthma and a migraine headache.

I hate having to live my life this way. If I buy things second hand at a yard sale I have to wash them 5 or 6 times with vinegar to remove the scent of the fabric softener that it seems everyone else uses. My granddaughter doesn't always rinse the shampoo completely out of her hair and I can't bear to be in the same room with her and the smell. She was chewing spearmint gum one day and I had to go to my room and stay there with the door closed because the scent was too strong for me.
Luna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10   #20
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I have had to ask a patient to leave the office because she had doused herself in a new cologne she bought... We are a "fragrance free office". I will use oils in my room if my list doesn't include those with allergies. I have fragrance free creams also I have a couple of people allergic to lavender and most other weed like flower, chamomile and sage. I wash all my linens with fragrance free soap, we don't use softener it ruins the life of clothes.
Now I am not as sensitive as you but for the office linens and towels, I make sure I am careful.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote