Go Back   EarthSong Forums > The Arts > Creative Writing

Creative Writing For the wordsmiths on here - critique members' work, discuss publishing and authors, share writing tips and more...

Old 11-24-16   #1
ffetcher

Default NaNoWriMo 2016

Following a series of computer problems I've finally been able to register my novel 'seminary'. I've done just over 27,000 words but should still complete on time.

Is anyone else there? More about ny novel when I have more time.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-16   #2
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Default Re: NaNoWriMo 2016

I'm not there this year.. too much other stuff going on. Sounds like you're making decent headway, though! Good luck!
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-16   #3
Windsmith bat Gaia
Atheopagan

I got just over 25,000 words in before--"Oh, you want a complete rewrite of last year's NaNo project by December 1? Yeah, I'll... uh... I'll come back to this other thing later."
Old 12-19-16   #4
ffetcher

I made it to 56,000 and small change, but don't show as a winner this year due to being stranded in Manchester without an internet connection that would play ball with the Nano site to upload. Rats. But I'm pleased with what I did, which is the main thing.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
Old 01-31-17   #5
ffetcher

This editing a novella thing is harder than I imagined. By the time I'd rounded off the rough edges, I realised that to get under 55,000 I was going to have to cut one thread. Reluctantly, I decided to cut the 'Tim and Dave re-create some mediaeval music' except for the performance itself, which is a pivot scene. I have agreed to write the rest up as a short (about three thou) because a lot of people liked that bit in the draft. Hmmm. Not sure how I'm going to do this.

blessings
ffetcher
Old 03-09-17   #6
Windsmith bat Gaia
Atheopagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffetcher View Post
This editing a novella thing is harder than I imagined. By the time I'd rounded off the rough edges, I realised that to get under 55,000 I was going to have to cut one thread. Reluctantly, I decided to cut the 'Tim and Dave re-create some mediaeval music' except for the performance itself, which is a pivot scene. I have agreed to write the rest up as a short (about three thou) because a lot of people liked that bit in the draft. Hmmm. Not sure how I'm going to do this.

blessings
ffetcher
How's this coming? For myself, writing is so much easier than rewriting. I'm about to dive into a rewrite, myself, and I'm definitely feeling some dread. So I'm with you. Solidarity! (or something...)
Old 03-17-17   #7
ffetcher

No mistaking, it's a slog. Taking the thread out means there are a number of non-sequiturs which need to be fixed, and it feels aa bit like darning socks (not that I do that any more). Next stage will be a full end-to-end revision. Rate I'm goingit'll be NaNo2017 befor I finish. But as I said before, I'm hapy with what's there, so...

blessings
ffetcher
Old 04-05-17   #8
Ms.Welch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsmith bat Gaia View Post
How's this coming? For myself, writing is so much easier than rewriting. I'm about to dive into a rewrite, myself, and I'm definitely feeling some dread. So I'm with you. Solidarity! (or something...)

I agree with you Windsmith bat Gaia. When you are writing, you are free to express your own thoughts and ideas, but in rewriting, you are bounded to revolve only around the idea presented by what you are rewriting.
Ms.Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-17   #9
Windsmith bat Gaia
Atheopagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Welch View Post
I agree with you Windsmith bat Gaia. When you are writing, you are free to express your own thoughts and ideas, but in rewriting, you are bounded to revolve only around the idea presented by what you are rewriting.
Oooh. That's a really good way to put it!

I also struggle with how complex rewriting is. I have this problem here. So I rework Scene X. But then Scene Y references this thing in Scene X that's not the same, so it also has to be reworked. And Scene Z depended on what happened in Scene Y, which has now been changed because of Scene X, so Scene Z will have to be completely re-envisioned and rewritten. Oy gevalt, it's very complicated.

Anybody else doing Camp NaNo this month? I'm writing a play about subversive truck drivers. Very enjoyable so far.
Old 4 Weeks Ago   #10
Sollie

I'm doing campnano! I'm actually halfway to my goal count, which is something that has never happened, and I didn't think would happen this year since between various health issues and losing my job, I've been very unable to get to the computer to write.

I have a friend who is currently editing her novel, and she has my utmost sympathies. I'm her venting board and man, is rewriting difficult.

Eat early, then eat pizza rolls when at home.
Sollie is offline   Reply With Quote