Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Native American Spirituality

Native American Spirituality Exploring Native American Spirituality, Magic and Mythology

Old 03-28-10   #11
Kaye Sweetbriar
Rabid Scholar

Default Re: Dream Catchers

I've actually had dreamcatchers since I was a kid. I used to have a nightmare every night for about a year, and then my mum bought me one at a Native American craft fair. Haven't had a nightmare since, even though I don't have it here at school this year.

Funnily enough, though, I actually did an art piece based around the mythology surrounding the dreamcatchers back in my senior year of high school. You can find it here:
http://battle-dragon.deviantart.com/...aver-127013757
Kaye Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10   #12
Blackwolf
Faery Path Elder

Nice post Ravenbear...

And vision , if that is what you mean by your "bird"...

I myself , from our code , use a ring of willow , wrapped
with leather , though I have used metal ( steel / iron )...

With eight , sixteen , nine , eighteen , eleven , or twenty two ,
connections , dependent on energy necessary for individual
people , or situations...sinew , or waxed thread...

When I used to do major craft fairs , or expos , many natives
bought my pieces , not just dreamcatchers...

One day soon , I shall be able to post some photos...

Videocam will be on its way soon...got word today...
Blackwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10   #13
Ravenbear
Educated Redneck Injun

I thank you allfor taking the time to read my humble posts.

First I did hope I did not make it sound like mine was the only way to trap evil dreams, I am sure there are many others, just as I am sure that other kinds of dream catchers will work if set up propper.
I only know they way I was taught. And to me it is the only way.. I am funny that way. So please do not take it that I am saying there is no other right way.

As to having a crunchy bed, thats funny now that you have mentioned it I never did find little dried out bug bodies in my bed. Had not thought about that..
As to keeping the egg sack I had the feeling Spider wanted me to take them out side. I was going to let them hatch in where their mother put them but like I said I felt Spider wanted me to release them.

Thanks for taking the time read my posts..

Wado

Heaven is a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved come running out to greet you.

Yes, I have Indian blood in me, and just enough white blood for you to question my honesty..
-Will Rogers as the Cherokee Kid

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' -Nietzsche

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
- John Holmes

Forgive me Father, for I am a Warrior, for I can never forget.- Over heard in the dark and heat of an Iraqis night.

Ravenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10   #14
Blackwolf
Faery Path Elder

I feel your intent from your posts , my brother ,
and value your knowledge...

All is heard , and has a home in my heart and soul...

Thank you , for your time and effort !
Old 03-28-10   #15
Toki Wartooth
Custom Title I Can Has

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackwolf View Post
I feel your intent from your posts , my brother ,
and value your knowledge...

All is heard , and has a home in my heart and soul...

Thank you , for your time and effort !
Seconded.

I'm glad to gain more knowledge on these, among many other things or areas, that you post about...within Native American spirituality, Ravenbear. I feel it is valuable to share, and that people appreciate it.

On a related note, I have a dream catcher, not made in the "traditional" way...but I find that it helps me nonetheless. I think it is because I send my belief and my energy toward that end, and so it "works."
Old 03-28-10   #16
Ravenbear
Educated Redneck Injun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toki Wartooth View Post
Seconded.

I'm glad to gain more knowledge on these, among many other things or areas, that you post about...within Native American spirituality, Ravenbear. I feel it is valuable to share, and that people appreciate it.

On a related note, I have a dream catcher, not made in the "traditional" way...but I find that it helps me nonetheless. I think it is because I send my belief and my energy toward that end, and so it "works."
Toki I am glad it is working foe you.. That what counts.. we Natives just like anyone else can get hung up on the idea that ours is the only right way.

Which brings up Sweat Lodges and that is a whole nother thread all to it's self. And probably the one I am the most stubborn about.. So I am taking my time in writing it up..

Heaven is a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved come running out to greet you.

Yes, I have Indian blood in me, and just enough white blood for you to question my honesty..
-Will Rogers as the Cherokee Kid

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' -Nietzsche

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
- John Holmes

Forgive me Father, for I am a Warrior, for I can never forget.- Over heard in the dark and heat of an Iraqis night.

Ravenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10   #17
Toki Wartooth
Custom Title I Can Has

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbear View Post
Toki I am glad it is working foe you.. That what counts.. we Natives just like anyone else can get hung up on the idea that ours is the only right way.

Which brings up Sweat Lodges and that is a whole nother thread all to it's self. And probably the one I am the most stubborn about.. So I am taking my time in writing it up..
Thank you, friend.

And yes, please, feel free to take your time. That can be a topic of quite heated debate, especially with the somewhat recent botching of a "sweat lodge" by that one twit. *Coughs*
Old 03-28-10   #18
Blackwolf
Faery Path Elder

You mean Inipi , and the way the poles are
arranged , that the CIA was even studying ,
cause they could not figure out why they
were having trouble penetrating it , for their
surveillance ?

Or the number of stones , antler for carrying
them , rounds , or any of the things not yet
mentioned ?

Yeah...I have been in a few sweats to "get well"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenbear View Post
Old 03-28-10   #19
Miaerowyn

Loving your posts, Ravenbear!
I love that you're also open to other people's ways of doing things to be right for them... that's refreshing as many will ridicule others for it! Urg. lol!

I love the idea of having a sort of symbiotic relationship with Spider as you take care of her physical needs and she takes care of your subconscious needs. Had a few dreamcatchers, but never made any... think it's time I look into it, as nightmares about teeth are quite unwanted, lol!

Momentary thoughts on Twitter.
Miaerowyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10   #20
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Ravenbear wrote: I thank you allfor taking the time to read my humble posts.
I can't speak for other's but it has been my pleasure and honor to read not only this one but many of your other posts also.

Quote:
First I did hope I did not make it sound like mine was the only way to trap evil dreams, I am sure there are many others, just as I am sure that other kinds of dream catchers will work if set up propper.
I only know they way I was taught. And to me it is the only way.. I am funny that way. So please do not take it that I am saying there is no other right way.
It did not sound that way to me. What I read and felt was pride in a heritage and a bit of fond rememberance. I suppose what some might call an energy of contentment coupled to an honorary sense of pride not a false sense of superiority.

Quote:
As to having a crunchy bed, thats funny now that you have mentioned it I never did find little dried out bug bodies in my bed. Had not thought about that..
That just struck me a little ironic when I wrote it. I suppose it has to do with the notion to my perspecitve that the dream catcher may catch adn trap for a bit but those things snared still have to fall at some point. If it be above our bed to catch dreams then the only place they can fall to is upon the bed we sleep upon.

I suppose that is why when I think of them I always imagine them to be above the bed on a wall or something but never directly above the bed. that way the negative energy simply drops to the floor to seep back into the Earth and be convereted.

Quote:
As to keeping the egg sack I had the feeling Spider wanted me to take them out side. I was going to let them hatch in where their mother put them but like I said I felt Spider wanted me to release them.
That makes a lot of sense to me.

Quote:
Thanks for taking the time read my posts..
NO thanks needed for it has been my pleasure to do so. If any thanks I would think it is for me to thank you for bringing the subjects up that we may disocover or ponder them together from differing view points.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote