Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic

Ritual Magic Exploration of ritual magic from the Golden Dawn to the myriad modern offshoots

Old 03-14-10   #1
Technician

Default I am confused...

I've read some topics and what people said,as in example the stickied ones in this forum.
So basically what are rituals ?
they can be meditations ? casting circles,invocation and banishing ??
can you explain me more ?
Old 03-14-10   #2
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: I am confused...

I think what you are encountering here is the difference between high or ceremonial magics and low magics.

To the ceremonial magician all things are usually rigidly structured and defined as to what is what. Ceremony is not always ritual in many ways, but ritual can be ceremonal in action and format.

Yet to the low magics many things are ritualized in our own usage and perspective though they are not structred in the strict formats and conditions of high magics.

I suppose on one level you could think of it like eating a meal. The ceremonial ritual is similar to the 10 course serving where each element is mandated to occur in a certain order. You have all the knives, forks, spoons and stuff layed out exactly. Napkins here, water glass, cherry glass, tumbler, etc. Then for low magics you have everything that falls from the upper crust set up to eating at a fast food resturant. The fact of eating is still a ritualized practice and relatively done in a certain time frame.

But we all have the option of holding our ritualized events and the things that make up our individual rituals to our own design. Yet we all are eating the meal or beneath the header of Paganism we are all touching Spirit or using magic. Then we tend to use much of the same language though it may not be exactly the same. Dinner is DInner though we each have a different way and perhaps understanding of what it is to us as individuals.

SOrry if this makes no sense I was just awakened and my desire to help is somewhat limited by the foggyness that comes from still wanting to sleep.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-10   #3
Technician

To be honest im still confused, but let me try to explain what i understood.
Magick,There are types of magick. Higher and lower. Like Fancy Food restaurants and fast food.They basically serve the same food but different in preperation,intention and quality.Relating that to magick : both differ in preperation,method and intention. Yet they serve for persons intention and will.
But meditation rituals are methods ? and how different is the methods ?
Like the tree of life ritual .. that meditative ritual seems to be so long (for me) yet what is the results ?
Old 03-14-10   #4
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

I had hoped more people would step up for this one but alass at the moment that appears not to be so.

Ok lets touch upon meditations and how they are different. This shall be my positions and opinions so others may differ greatly.

When one begins to meditate the purpose may be so broad that while on the surface they appear similar or the same the deeper intent makes them seperate.

The most basic to me is that of calming the mind and body. Usually achieved through posture and breathing it simply is short or long in duration. I may sit for a few minutes and concentrate upon my breathing and bring it under control. I find when I am aggitated or stressed this is the basic model I use. It may be as little as a few seconds to a few minutes but seldom more than say 5 minutes.

Yet I may also use the same techniques to achieve a state of balance of mind and body if I am trying to prepare myself for a difficult ritual / ceremony. Yet the mental focus and purpose is vastly different. I may perform the ceremony a thousand times in my mind as I go over each minor detail. Yet it not only prepares me but also opens myself up to the energies that I shall be working with and starts the process of aligning my energy to those that I shall call upon. This one may go normally for atleast 15 - 20 minutes on the small side and upwards to hours on the long side.

Yet to the observor there is no outward difference that can be witnessed.

Another reason is to take control of a given part of the body and infuse it with the power of steel and will of intent. Similar to what some would see with regard to the Fire Walker's who prepare mind and body and stregthen the area's to be tested. Very similar to what is done by Buddihist Monks in Tibet when they go into the mountains on a winter night with nothing but their robes and a small blanket. They take control of body and use it to elevate the core temerature so that they can stand the night. Yet the process takes many many periods of practice and focus to be prepared for that single night once per year.

The problem with meditation is that the way the focus is pointed and achieved is different for each one. The place within the psychic landscape that one goes to is different as are the manner's that one utilizes to reach them.

Some meditations I simiply go into the inner self of my mind and allow the visions to play upon the minds eye then I take control of them or simply use colors to regress and prepare. Other's I go into the tree of worlds and travel to different spots. If I am to work with cthonic powers I travel into the depths of the tree but it takes more concentration and focusing of intent and purpose to reach the place I desire. Inversely if I choose to go to the upper worlds then I would travel up the tree but the intent is again the same.

If I am to use or work with a given deity I may not only travel inward but also invoke them into myself. Again a medatative state but the practice becomes more precise adn the chants and focus maybe vocal or quite vocals internalized.

Of ourse this really does not touch upon trance meditations such as dance, drumming, pain induction, pleasure induction, etc. Those fall into a different frame of mind in the obtainement of those meditative states.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10   #5
rosekitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyElShafie View Post
I've read some topics and what people said,as in example the stickied ones in this forum.
So basically what are rituals ?
they can be meditations ? casting circles,invocation and banishing ??
can you explain me more ?
Meditation can be used to start a ritual, or be a part of it, to focus, but on their own, I don't view them as rituals. Meditation is the act of clearing, or focusing, the mind. It can be used to journey, to purge, etc.

A ritual is a process that involves many steps. Casting circles, invocations, and all of that are also just aspects of a ritual.

Higher and lower magics are not like fast food v. fine dining, at all. It's more like going to a restaurant/ordering carry out and cooking from scratch. High magic tends to be very in depth, and in the case of ceremonial magic, very detailed. Lower magics are basics like candle spells, simple write and burn spells, etc. Both work, and both can create the same results. However, when working with high magic, you have more options, because you're adding in many different pieces, parts, and processes.
rosekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-10   #6
Havajra

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadyElShafie View Post
To be honest im still confused, but let me try to explain what i understood.
Magick,There are types of magick. Higher and lower. Like Fancy Food restaurants and fast food.They basically serve the same food but different in preperation,intention and quality.Relating that to magick : both differ in preperation,method and intention. Yet they serve for persons intention and will.
But meditation rituals are methods ? and how different is the methods ?
Like the tree of life ritual .. that meditative ritual seems to be so long (for me) yet what is the results ?
These rituals that I have stickied here (under my old name) are rituals of ceremonial magick. A lot of people feel the necessity to put a lot of pomp and circumstance into magick, it seems to help it work. I am one of those people who thought it was a lot of hogwash before I actually did it.

The tree of life meditation in particular is NOT ceremonial magick in that it does not have a set of actions that are always performed in the context of ritual. It is, however, a powerful meditation tool and can be used when there is not space available for elaborate ritual for some real growth in insight and understanding of your self at a deeper level. Each of these rituals are created to fortify your self and your environment in a magical sense of the word. If you use the LBRP, for example, you will be fortifying your astral self and protecting your astral self from harm as you delve further into other more layered methods of magical practice.
Old 03-27-10   #7
Ludovic

There is a point of view that rituals are like putting the kids in the supervised kiddo play area while mommy rushes to get some groceries done. Only your conscious mind, persona, ego, etc are the kids, you are the mother and the groceries is the magical work.

Magic is suppose to be easy, we just need to get out of the way
Old 03-27-10   #8
Havajra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic View Post
There is a point of view that rituals are like putting the kids in the supervised kiddo play area while mommy rushes to get some groceries done. Only your conscious mind, persona, ego, etc are the kids, you are the mother and the groceries is the magical work.

Magic is suppose to be easy, we just need to get out of the way
That is a brilliant way to put it Ludovic.
Old 03-27-10   #9
Ludovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havajra View Post
That is a brilliant way to put it Ludovic.
Credit goes to my very vocal baby nephew