Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Knowledge is Power > Runelore

Runelore This 8-10 week course will combine runelore with exercises and stories from the runic pathway. Its emphasis lies on reconnecting the runes with the everyday life they were once a part of, using the runes for divinatory purposes and creating small-scale energywork with their presences. Open to all levels of learning."

Old 10-15-11   #11
DonelleBeira

Default Re: End of Week One: Exercise

The writing really gave me fits for days using the ruler – at first. I finally threw away the papers with the eraser holes, crossed out bits, and scribbles and forgot about trying to make the next one better than the one before, or more like the 3rd one on the first line, etc. and simply constructed the Runes using a straight-edged piece of thin cardboard. If it didn’t turn out “right”, ok. A funny thing happened when I did this – I found I wasn’t looking at what I was doing, at the marks I was making on the paper, but rather began to see each Rune as twined branches, never meant to be perfect in line or angle. The cardboard and I moved down the page, line after line in harmony. I then put those pages aside along with the straight-edge and started drawing the Runes freehand. Again they formed in my mind as branches. I saw lumps and bumps, curling bark, splashes of color and texture. The Runes came to life in this way for me. I forgot form and found them.

The recitation portion wasn’t difficult once you explained the inflections tho I do have difficulty with Jera. It doesn’t feel good in my mouth and when I see the Rune, I feel myself fighting it. Berkano, on the other hand, is wonderful to say, hear and write. It is my favorite in this exercise.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-11   #12
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

i just freehand, it seems easier to me, maybe because i forgot i used to write notes in school in tolkiens rune alphabet from the lotr series so i guess i have had some practice writing them but not using them.

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-11   #13
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by the seeker View Post
A funny thing happened when I did this – I found I wasn’t looking at what I was doing, at the marks I was making on the paper, but rather began to see each Rune as twined branches, never meant to be perfect in line or angle. The cardboard and I moved down the page, line after line in harmony. I then put those pages aside along with the straight-edge and started drawing the Runes freehand. Again they formed in my mind as branches. I saw lumps and bumps, curling bark, splashes of color and texture. The Runes came to life in this way for me. I forgot form and found them.
Perfect! That's very similar to the way I write them nowadays, although our personal experience differs. I hear the heartbeat of the Earth when I write and see them as though I'm writing in dirt and sand. For me, it was logical to create the runeset with clay back then. Perhaps wood would be a much better match for you.

Quote:
The recitation portion wasn’t difficult once you explained the inflections tho I do have difficulty with Jera. It doesn’t feel good in my mouth and when I see the Rune, I feel myself fighting it. Berkano, on the other hand, is wonderful to say, hear and write. It is my favorite in this exercise.
I'll be interested to see how you get on with Jera after the third week of the course. It's possible that it will never be a favourite, but reading about it might take away some of the fight. I also love your taking to Berkana, because it reminds me of my endless love affair with Naudhiz. Some runes just call out to us and remind us of who we are or who we're meant to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkWahya
i just freehand, it seems easier to me, maybe because i forgot i used to write notes in school in tolkiens rune alphabet from the lotr series so i guess i have had some practice writing them but not using them.
That's great! Tolkien based his alphabet on the runes, among other things, so his work's the sort of early practice I can fully support. Are there any runes that stand out for you during practice so far?
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11   #14
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

fehu is always what pops in my head when i think runes, not sre if its cuz its the first one and im just remembering its the first one or not. I noticed as i was writing even though i was writing the names in all lower case i capitalized a couple by accident they were Raidho, Wunjo, and Mannaz and i just really like writing jera, its just pretty to me

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-11   #15
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarkWahya View Post
fehu is always what pops in my head when i think runes, not sre if its cuz its the first one and im just remembering its the first one or not. I noticed as i was writing even though i was writing the names in all lower case i capitalized a couple by accident they were Raidho, Wunjo, and Mannaz and i just really like writing jera, its just pretty to me
Thanks.. that is really helpful. (I sometimes have the urge to capitalise a couple of them as well, which is really awkward right now. ) It gives me a pretty good indication of where you are in your life and how the runes can give you strength, which we'll dive into later.
Old 10-18-11   #16
DonelleBeira

Capitalizing? I thought the runes were all capital letters? Or do you not capitalize the word, ie fehu vs Fehu?

Another question - in the group of Runes shown in this thread, Uruz has a short straight leg on the right hand side. Other depictions show it with both legs reaching the same bottom point when drawn. Which is correct?

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11   #17
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by the seeker View Post
Capitalizing? I thought the runes were all capital letters? Or do you not capitalize the word, ie fehu vs Fehu?
I personally don't capitalise the word, but that's for everyone to decide as they will.

Quote:
Another question - in the group of Runes shown in this thread, Uruz has a short straight leg on the right hand side. Other depictions show it with both legs reaching the same bottom point when drawn. Which is correct?
I always use the one with the short straight leg, but I've seen it used both ways. I've even seen it used in the shape of a shark's fin (not what I had in mind with uruz), so I really think the most important thing is the angular motion of the rune. Uruz is all angles and straight legs: the sturdiness of energy taking form for the first time. (Our modern-day u looks a little like uruz upside-down, so I can get behind the practice of having both legs reach the same bottom point for that reason. )
Old 10-20-11   #18
Sacred
Forever changing...

Finally have them memorized!
What's cuter is my 5 year old remembered one of them

Sacred is offline   Reply With Quote