Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity > GLBTIQA

GLBTIQA Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender issues and discussions.

Old 09-21-13   #11
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Default Re: Is Homosexuality A Choice?

Whatever sexuality you have is what you were born with. It is your nature. How you act upon it or incorporate it into your life is choice; but of course your choices are influenced and often restricted to a large degree by the society you live in. (Sadly in some places it is still considered a crime to have homosexual relationships, so gay and bisexual people face very difficult, sometimes life threatening choices).
I won't reiterate what people have said in reply to Petrus except to say sexuality in itself has no baring on morality, promiscuity, drug use or anything else.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-13   #12
Kokaba'al

There's an interesting study somewhere (apologies, my google-fu fails me today), that suggests the possibility that homosexuality is not only natural, but necessary for the good of a species. In a very rough sum up, it basically suggested that once a certain critical mass is reached within species number, more homosexual animals will be born, as while they do not necessarily seek to breed for themselves, they ensure the species is well raised and looked after - they perform the same duties as the heterosexual animals, but without adding to the population and the subsequent strain on resources.

The very IDEA that homosexuality is directly linked with promiscuity (idk exactly what is supposed to be wrong with that anyway, regardless of orientation) and other 'bad things' is such a laughably backwards idea I can't even. You might want to befriend the Westboro Baptist people, I'm pretty sure you share enough beliefs now to get along famously with them, harr.
Old 09-21-13   #13
Nacken

I remember reading an article that they believe that people are born gay or bi because while they are in the womb their mother's hormone levels are different than the norm. Perhaps with gay males they were exposed to more estrogen, while with lesbians they were exposed to more testosterone while in the womb. The theory goes that as a result their brains develop slightly differently than with heterosexuals. I should add that this isn't the fault of the mom. Pregnant women don't control the level of their hormones.

Some gay men are perfectly indistinguishable from heterosexual men in their mannerisms outside of the bedroom while others have noticeably effeminate traits. Some lesbians do look or act more masculine than the average woman. It seems logical that it is due to some subtle difference in how their brain developed. I do believe that homosexuality is something that people are born with or develop in utero.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-13   #14
David_2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokaba'al View Post
There's an interesting study somewhere (apologies, my google-fu fails me today), that suggests the possibility that homosexuality is not only natural, but necessary for the good of a species. In a very rough sum up, it basically suggested that once a certain critical mass is reached within species number, more homosexual animals will be born, as while they do not necessarily seek to breed for themselves, they ensure the species is well raised and looked after - they perform the same duties as the heterosexual animals, but without adding to the population and the subsequent strain on resources.

The very IDEA that homosexuality is directly linked with promiscuity (idk exactly what is supposed to be wrong with that anyway, regardless of orientation) and other 'bad things' is such a laughably backwards idea I can't even. You might want to befriend the Westboro Baptist people, I'm pretty sure you share enough beliefs now to get along famously with them, harr.
I'd really like to read that article, if you could find it again, I tried Googling it, but, couldn't find anything that matched, but, I'd love to read that.
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-13   #15
Kokaba'al

I'm sorry David, I'm struggling to find it! A friend had posted it to facebook a while ago. I found this though, which I is suggesting similar and includes a reference to a study on a more isolated human culture.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0204144551.htm

I don't know about legitimacy of this one, but some it references some studies which should be findable. http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/...for-early-man/
Old 10-10-13   #16
Windsmith bat Gaia
Reclaiming Tradition

Quote:
My google-fu's also on the fritz, but I remember reading that study or something similar, which strongly links incidence of homosexuality to population density.

It raised an interesting question for me, because in general we tend to see larger, or at least more visible, LGBT populations in cities than rural areas. But is that because queer folks from isolated areas move to cities to be in more welcoming (or at least anonymizing) environments and have continued drawing others there? Or are folks actually more likely to be born LGBT/express LGBT behavior in a city because population density makes it so?
Windsmith bat Gaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13   #17
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cran'Thun View Post
Claiming that homosexuality increases chances of promiscuity and drug use?
I actually didn't claim this, specifically. My actual point was that life outside of monogamy, can put a person at a greater degree of risk, irrespective of what their orientation is; which is, in turn, why I support gay marriage.

I'm aware that even that by itself, is unlikely to be a popular perspective around here; but my point is not to focus on homosexuality as a specific orientation. The point, again, is that promiscuity is more likely to lead to unhealthy outcomes, irrespective of what your orientation is.

This is true in terms of disease, and it is also true psychologically, as a result of the comparitive lack of bonding that can occur with a large number of different partners.

I have no grievance with, and bear no ill-will whatsoever towards, homosexual couples who exist in a state of long-term monogamy. It is screwing around that causes problems.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13   #18
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
I'm sorry David, I'm struggling to find it! A friend had posted it to facebook a while ago. I found this though, which I is suggesting similar and includes a reference to a study on a more isolated human culture.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0204144551.htm

I don't know about legitimacy of this one, but some it references some studies which should be findable. http://www.butterfliesandwheels.org/...for-early-man/
Fascinating. We again note, that one of the main consistent differences between American culture, and virtually every indigenous culture observed, is that indigenous cultures are communally rather than individually oriented.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-13   #19
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
Fascinating. We again note, that one of the main consistent differences between American culture, and virtually every indigenous culture observed, is that indigenous cultures are communally rather than individually oriented.
So so true.
Wouldn't even some kind of a balance be nice?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote