Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > The Magic of Scent

The Magic of Scent Using oils and incense, fragrance in general in magical workings and healing

Old 12-22-13   #11
Rubber_Duckie

Default Re: How vital do you think incense is to doing a ritual?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawitch Artist View Post
How vital do you think incense is to doing a ritual?
For some woodland conjures local incense amplified the effect by transporting the intention of the work up through the Sky. In a way it combined the spirit of the woodlands and the spirit of the conjurer into a unified voice. Incense helps, but is not absolutely necessary.
"I am wiser than this man, for neither of us appears to know anything great and good; but he fancies he knows something, although he knows nothing; whereas I, as I do not know anything, so I do not fancy I do."~Socrates
Rubber_Duckie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13   #12
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

Depends all on the incense and the ritual. The right incense can be a powerful focusing and energizing element. The wrong incense can be detrimental. When doing spirit work, it might well be mandatory, depends on the spirit.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Katharine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-13   #13
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

For me its not a big thing as I prefer being able to breath as incense screws with my asthma. If its subtle and background then it does aid in establishing the right mindset I think.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-13   #14
ffetcher

I'll amplify my earlier posting a little. We used to use incense a lot even just between the two of us; we seldom use it any more other than with groups, although the people we visit for the festive meal on the evening of the 25th consider it pretty important.

But incense burned on charcoal is a bit of a faff, so we've developed a ritual drink from a special chalice - as described in Brosceliande - that acts as a trigger and builds correspondences. Scent and taste are pretty much two sides of the same coin for us.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-18   #15
Satyr77

My personal view is three-fold. Originally, I believe that incense served the purpose of pleasing the senses of the gods, since most Eurasian cultures were idol-worshippers and believed that the gods inhabited their cult-images, which could hear, breath, see, and smell! Now, within the context of a ritual, it serves two functions: cleansing a space, or setting the proper atmosphere (i.e aromas that conjure the feelings of each Sabbat). Magically, however, a magical incense employs the Element of Fire to transform the ingredients of the spell in order to put the intent of the spell into the atmosphere and into the Universe to manifest.

Now, in my experience (and that of others), what causes the most smoke is the amount of oil that one uses in the formula. Could they, perhaps, cut back on the essential oils in the formulations? And, are you sure they are using essential oils, rather than synthetic fragrance oils? While I have no problem using heavily aromatic fragrance-oils in my own formulations, I have heard that others have extremely violent allergic reactions to fragrance oils when burned in an incense formulation. I am curious why tobacco would not cause you to react poorly, yet incense does. Have you also tried to trouble-shoot to see if it's particular ingredient within the incense formulations that might be causing you such problems? I'm not trying to stop on any toes, here, but if I were your HP/s I would try and work with you regularly to determine what the cause of the problem might be and how to ensure that you are comfortable.

I wish you well...
Satyr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-18   #16
October

I'm a Celtic Reconstructionist and there is no evidence that the Celts used incense, HOWEVER, we in CR are attempting to recreate what the Celtic religion would look like today without the influence of Christianity, so I find it difficult to believe that these alternate-universe Celts wouldn't have liked it. The Celts were known to be something of magpies, they were pretty open to trying new things, and they liked nice things. I have no issues with cell phones inside my sacred space, and I personally like incense. But I treat it the same way I do my oil diffuser--it's for me, most of the time, not the gods. I may dedicate a stick or two to a god I'm trying to butter up, but it's mostly to get my mind in the right place. And make my room smell nice :-)

MAKE IT FOR ME, MAGICAL POT WITH SKILLS I DON'T POSSESS
October is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-18   #17
Satyr77

Quote:
Originally Posted by October View Post
I'm a Celtic Reconstructionist and there is no evidence that the Celts used incense, HOWEVER, we in CR are attempting to recreate what the Celtic religion would look like today without the influence of Christianity, so I find it difficult to believe that these alternate-universe Celts wouldn't have liked it. The Celts were known to be something of magpies, they were pretty open to trying new things, and they liked nice things. I have no issues with cell phones inside my sacred space, and I personally like incense. But I treat it the same way I do my oil diffuser--it's for me, most of the time, not the gods. I may dedicate a stick or two to a god I'm trying to butter up, but it's mostly to get my mind in the right place. And make my room smell nice :-)
True, there's no direct evidence for the Celts making/ using incenses per se; however, they clearly had access to costly and precious gums and resins, etc. But, the Celts loved the "finer things", and this probably included imported perfumes by trade with Greece and Rome, and elsewhere. Heck, my view is, there's also no direct evidence that the Celts were idol-worshipers; however, the custom was so common and even universal throughout Europe and Asia, that if they hadn't been idol-worshippers at some level, it would have been extremely unusual. It's for that reason that I incorporated idol-worship into my own practice. Moreover, in idol-worship, the gods inhabiting the cult-image can breath, see, smell and hear; and incense would have been burned for their sensory pleasures. So, I would whole-heartedly recommend burning it for the pleasure of the gods. I do; and I follow a personal Celtic/ Indo-European path that is quasi-reconstructionist in that my research informs much of my theology.

BTW, if you haven't read the following three books, I highly recommend them:

* The Sacred Isles: Pre-Christian Religion in Ireland, by Daithi O hOgain
* Indo-European Poetry and Myth, by ML West
* The Gods of the Celts and the Indo-Europeans, by Garret Olmsted

Taken together, they are FAR better than anything produced by Prof. Hutton on ancient paganism, since I am not particularly a fan since he omits whole swaths of evidence, cherry picks, his books are filled with logical fallacies and internal logical inconsistencies, and so on and so forth. I tend to view his works skeptically, since my own early research was obsessed with Celtic academic studies by reading both academic articles, books, and even various translations of source material that presents the evidence very differently than Hutton seems willing to allow for. According to academic friends of mine, they are convinced that Prof. has had to maintain this exceptionally conservative POV because he painted himself into a corner so early on.
Satyr77 is offline   Reply With Quote