Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity

Gender and Identity Forum for the discussion of gender and sexuality and how it factors into identity

Old 04-14-11   #1
petrus4
Leaper

Default "Woman good, man bad."

I've been seeing a lot of thinking along these lines, recently...both on this web site, and outside of it. So I thought I might have a look around on the Internet, and find a few sources that might hopefully explode the myth, that morality and the propensity towards aggression and violence, are supposedly cleanly divisible along gender lines.

http://www.pandys.org/article/lesbia...cviolence.html

http://www.kalimunro.com/article_partnerabuse.html

http://adt.lib.rmit.edu.au/adt/uploa...ic/02whole.pdf - A study on violence among women in Australia.

http://www.mensrights.com.au/page13v.htm - Another study on Australian domestic violence. Statistically, in such cases, 49% of spouses admitted to both being violent.

http://www.batteredmen.com/gjdvdulu.htm - Information on the "Duluth model," a diagnostic model of domestic violence used in America with inherent misandronistic bias, and information on a proposed gender-neutral replacement.

http://www.batteredmen.com/cyoungdv.htm - An article on double standards relating to domestic violence, written by the female author of a book called
Ceasefire: Why Women and Men Must Join Forces to Achieve True Equality"><font face=Ceasefire: Why Women and Men Must Join Forces to Achieve True Equality" /> Ceasefire: Why Women and Men Must Join Forces to Achieve True Equality">Ceasefire: Why Women and Men Must Join Forces to Achieve True Equality

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-by-women.html - Rate of female violence doubled in UK, in 5 years.

http://www.f4e.com.au/blog/2011/04/1...g-her-husband/ - This is from three days ago. A woman who discovered her husband was having an affair, doused him in petrol and burned him alive, receiving a suspended sentence.

I was not born with horns, a club tail, and glowing red eyes, purely because I also happened to be born with a penis. The idea that I and other men inherently are, and that women are inevitably paragons of virtue and innocence, is infantile, hysterical, irrational, and above all, simply inaccurate.

I'm also aware of the double standard on violence in any form, psychological, physical, or otherwise, in favour of women. I had a bottle thrown at me by my ex-girlfriend once, and I was never under any illusions about her level of aggression.

I'm aware of the income and educational inequality that exists, and I have always maintained that I believe they need to be abolished and rectified. A woman in my mind should have the right to receive whatever form of education she wishes, and to engage in whatever form of employment she wishes, at entirely the same level of pay as a man; that in my mind never should have been an issue at all.

Additionally, I am aware of the institutional abuse that occurs in Islamic countries. This also needs to cease entirely.

Neither of these things, however, in any way imply either that abuse of men is any more acceptable; and they also do not imply that my gender has any inherently greater tendency towards aggression than women.

We do not. Most of the time, the difference is tactical. A man will kill someone directly, in physical terms, whereas women will choose the more subtle route of prolonged psychological abuse; if a male was to later end up committing suicide, that would be considered his own responsibility, whereas if women do such, they are given sympathy. I can remember thinking while I attended secondary school, that a white pointer shark could fairly literally be considered a compassionate creature, in comparison with the average teenage girl. As it is shown in the above articles, however, even said tactical difference is not always present.

Women here can accuse me of being a misogynist if they like; but again, the major issue there, is that misandrony is politically correct, and has total social sanction.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #2
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Default Re: "Woman good, man bad."

Honestly, you can find rotten apples anywhere. The methods may vary, but there are some messed-up folks out there. Girls can be mean, but guys can be too. Ladies might kill a man, but men might kill a woman too. There is no gender divide when it comes to the brutality of such actions themselves. The only differences I can see lie in motivation and means.

Thing is this: Any woman in this world will be able to tell you about something a girl did to her that really, really hurt her. Anyone in this world knows that women are not picture perfect. Most women I know don't even pretend to be innocent and virtuous, but are placed on that pedestal by other people in their lives. The same, in reverse, also happens to men. I don't know anyone who believes that women are good and men are bad, but I do know a lot of folks who take their distrust of any gender to a whole new level.

I think it's time to stop pointing fingers and start co-existing. Don't let past experience get in the way of future happiness. Your desperation to get your point about women across makes me wary, Petrus, because I feel that you're focusing a lot on this lately and are becoming locked in one mindset because of it. Let it go. Give this a rest. Things are not always as they appear to be.. and this topic is one of those that change colours faster than you can take a breath.. just because none of us can hope to have the full picture on this..
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #3
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunSister View Post
Your desperation to get your point about women across makes me wary, Petrus, because I feel that you're focusing a lot on this lately and are becoming locked in one mindset because of it. Let it go. Give this a rest. Things are not always as they appear to be.. and this topic is one of those that change colours faster than you can take a breath.. just because none of us can hope to have the full picture on this..
I will let it go; but I'm only really fixating on it because I feel as though there has been so much focus in the opposite direction. It honestly hurts, sometimes.

I do acknowledge that generating negative emotion is not a good thing; but I mostly just wanted to point out that this isn't a one sided issue, as some people seem to think.
Old 04-14-11   #4
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Really Petrus ?

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #5
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigidrose View Post
Really Petrus ?
Like I said to SunSister, Brigid; I'm primarily trying to balance the scales here. People can watch that "Dear Woman," video on YouTube and consider it laudable; yet I make this post, and it's apparently inappropriate.

There *is* a double standard.
Old 04-14-11   #6
WanderingSheep

it's really very similar to the "Christians Bad, pagans Good" attitude you so often see in pagan circles, I think. People always see everything in very black and white terms, and under the guise of "Struggling against centuries of oppression" and so on, sometimes get a bit carried away.

"My political opinions lean more and more to Anarchy (philosophically understood, meaning abolition of control not whiskered men with bombs)—or to 'unconstitutional' Monarchy"
~ J.R.R.Tolkien.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii51/sheep_023/070-2.gif

WanderingSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #7
Rapture

I think Petrus, it is not necessarily the subject content that is the problem but the way you put it across.

Rapture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #8
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Petrus, you're not balancing any scales. You're tipping them. (Just like things like the video, which I have not watched, also tip the scales.) Any kind of extremity tips the scales. Balance is found in taking a step back and letting the scales even themselves out for you. Whenever we, as humans, try to balance.. we get things wrong. Horribly so.
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #9
Brigidrose
Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
Like I said to SunSister, Brigid; I'm primarily trying to balance the scales here. People can watch that "Dear Woman," video on YouTube and consider it laudable; yet I make this post, and it's apparently inappropriate.

There *is* a double standard.
No, there isn't..its just that you always bring this up....I guess its just me

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-11   #10
Vindictus
Serpent King

Honestly, I'm siding with Petrus on this one. Misandry is commonly accepted, and even subtly encouraged, in the US. Lots of people don't even notice it until it's pointed out to them.

Take, for example, the "Boys are stupid, Throw Rocks at them" T-shirt. Most people just think it's cute, and a lot of people are upset that it got discontinued. Now, if I made a t-shirt that said 'Girls are annoying- Stab them in the face!', you can bet that I'd be public enemy number one for inciting violence against women. Something is fundamentally wrong with this picture. Why is it okay to suggest that it's acceptable to throw rocks at boys?

Personally, I'm all for equality, but as is the only group that doesn't have a massive team working on their behalf is men, and they're also the only group that doesn't have any cultural sheild to hide behind.

Has a Workout Blog now.
Vindictus is offline   Reply With Quote