Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > Gender and Identity

Gender and Identity Forum for the discussion of gender and sexuality and how it factors into identity

Old 05-09-11   #1
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Default Slut Walks

There have been a couple of threads about gender issues recently but this didn't seem to quite fit into either of them.
What are your opinions about this?

Thousands of women in the US and Canada have marched in response to a Toronto police officer's comment that women should try not to dress like "sluts" to avoid being raped or victimised.

As well as opposing the notion that female victims may have helped provoke attacks, many of the women - who call their protests SlutWalks - are attempting to reclaim the word itself.

"Slut" is now commonly used on both sides of the Atlantic to refer to promiscuous women in a derogatory fashion.

Despite feminism and the sexual revolution, the word slut still reverberates with negative connotations linked to sexual promiscuity, and it is still applied predominantly to women rather than men.

Full article here.

Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11   #2
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: Slut Walks

I think this is another of those issues that are passed through generations. I can still hear my father getting on my sisters about what to wear or not wear. Even faintly hear my grandmother as she speaks on what good girls wear and do not wear. Not only what to wear and not wear but also the notion of where to be and where not to be based upon how they are dressed.

I once read that a large percentage of rapes are against elderly women or very young girls so it seem's that the notion of dress is sort of a red herring to me. But in many ways I do think it ties back to that issue of if you were not there it wouldn't have happened mentatility.

I think part also goes back to the sense that certain things were always on the fringes of society and proper ladies never went to those areas. Sort of like bordellos that were found on city limits, dock areas, across the railroad tracks, etc.
Old 05-09-11   #3
petrus4
Leaper

I don't really consider semi-nudity as a fashion statement, to be socially responsible or mature behaviour on the part of either gender; women or men.

It's completely true that no woman should have to put up with some crude, misogynistic Neanderthal man, making obscene comments or engaging in other forms of harassment.

At the same time, however, I think what we're fundamentally talking about here, is a power issue, on both sides of the fence. Rape is typically engaged in by men, as an expression of dominance, in psychological terms. I'm inclined to believe, however, that women also derive a sense of power from dressing in such a manner that they know will likely cause a man to become sexually aroused, so they can then deny his resulting desire for gratification.

In other words, both forms of behaviour are fundamentally unacceptable. Rape and referring to a woman as a slut should never happen, but women teasing in order to power trip themselves, shouldn't either.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11   #4
Vindictus
Serpent King

... This is idiotic.

What's next? Reclaiming the word retard for 'Developmentally challenged people'?

Honestly.

Has a Workout Blog now.
Vindictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11   #5
RoseRed
Christian Witch

I don't like it but I can understand it. I don't think that a woman should be considered a target based on clothing. In the real world it happens all too often.

I've caught a lot of flack over the years for saying this but I feel that it bears on this conversation. "No woman ever deserves to be raped but some do ask for it".
Old 05-09-11   #6
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing

As a teenager myself, I can see it from both angles.

I normally wear jeans and more loose clothing, but on occasion I like to wear short shorts or skirts (not extremely short, but still sort of just covers what needs to be) and when I had the stomach for it, shirts that exposed some of my stomach. It's boring wearing basically the same style all the time.

But I do agree with you, Petrus. If you're wearing revealing clothing in a public places where males can be aroused, you're somewhat asking for trouble.

But for a Toronto (Canadians are supposed to be polite, remember?) police officer (who shouldn't be so judgemental) to say, "Don't dress like a slut."? That's uncalled for.

I hope he gets fired.
Old 05-09-11   #7
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade_Blooms View Post
But I do agree with you, Petrus. If you're wearing revealing clothing in a public places where males can be aroused, you're somewhat asking for trouble.
Well, apart from anything else, I'd be honestly curious as to why women would want to do it, from a purely utilitarian point of view. I do not dress for aesthetics at all, personally; so if I wear something, it's exclusively in response to my environment.

As such, if the weather is hot, I can understand women perhaps wanting to wear as little as possible in that type of scenario, yes; but I've seen women wearing revealing clothing even when it was cold before. That really didn't make a lot of sense, to me.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11   #8
Vindictus
Serpent King

Maybe they like the cold?

Has a Workout Blog now.
Vindictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-11   #9
Nightshade_Blooms
Wishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
As such, if the weather is hot, I can understand women perhaps wanting to wear as little as possible in that type of scenario, yes; but I've seen women wearing revealing clothing even when it was cold before. That really didn't make a lot of sense, to me.
I can only speak for myself, but it's baffling to me as well. There's as girl in my class that wears short shorts a lot, but on cooler days she'd go take one of her guy friends sweater because she was too cold.

I can't answer your question, Petrus, because I appear to be the opposite. I love the colder weather cause it's perfect for jackets, jeans and sweaters. Maybe it's for attention from the guys or something?
Old 05-09-11   #10
PrincessKLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindictus View Post
... This is idiotic.

What's next? Reclaiming the word retard for 'Developmentally challenged people'?

Honestly.

That's how it works. I used to be really offended by the term but I'd like to reclaim the insult myself (even though I'm not mentally retarded) because the PC community has gone too far in the disabled community, it's rediculous that apparently any term other than "People with Disabilities" is considered offensive. And PWD is like an unneccessary mouthful.

The word slut has always been used, it's only in recent years, slut and similar words have been deemed innappropriate to describe certain types of women.
PrincessKLS is offline   Reply With Quote