Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft

Witchcraft Forum for discussion of all types of the Craft, Dianic to BTW, and everything in between

Old 05-22-13   #21
StoneSeer

Default Re: Hecate

Probably a question for the tarot area, but why isn't there a depiction of Hecate in the Goddess Tarot?

Visit me at http://tarotkristy.com/

"Evolution is a tightly coupled dance, with life and the material environment as partners. From the dance emerges the entity Gaia." - James Lovelock
StoneSeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13   #22
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneSeer View Post
Probably a question for the tarot area, but why isn't there a depiction of Hecate in the Goddess Tarot?
That one i'm afraid I couldn't even begin to answer. We'll not beyond the scope of much of modern pagan practice's are still very much Christian in positions and persceptions thus Hecate / Hekate is the Queen of black magic and witches so is eeeeebil and black / dark magics. A position that has been introduced and maintained pretty much since about the 2nd century A.D. in Rome.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-13   #23
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Here's some books on Hecate / Hekate you may find helpful. Some are somewhat expensive to purchase others fairly inexpensive.

Hekate Soteira: A Study of Hekate's Roles in the Chaldean Oracles and Related Literature
by Sarah Iles Johnston

RESTLESS DEAD by SARAH ILES JOHNSTON

Rotting Goddess: The Origins of the Witch in Classical Antiquity by Rabinowitz, Jacob

Hekate Liminal Rites - A Study of the Rituals, Magic and Symbols of the Torch-Bearing Triple Goddess of the Crossroads by Sorita D'Este David Rankine

Hekate in Ancient Greek Religion by Robert Von Rudloff

The Goddess Hekate by Stephen Ronan

Curse-Tablets-and-Binding-Spells-From-the-Ancient-World by John Gager

JSTOR articles:

Hekate: Her Role and Character in Greek Literature from before the Fifth Century B.C. by Carol Mooney

Hecate Greek or “Anatolian”

Not as historical but compilations of stories and practices of individual practitioners.

Hekate: Keys to the Crossroads by Sorita D'Este

Hekate Her Sacred Fires by Raven Digitalis & Sorita D'Este

Bearing Torches : A Devotional Anthology for Hekate by Bibliotheca Alexandrina

Hecate I bu jade sol Luna

Hecate II Awakening of Hydra by Jade Sol Luna

Of course the Hymm to Demeter and the story of Iphegenia and other classic items are a must.
Old 05-23-13   #24
Cassie
Lady of the Left

The following is a link to a blog I follow which has a lot to do with Hecate. This particular post is about the upcoming "Rite of Her Sacred Fires." It also contains inks to further information.
The Crossroads Companion.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13   #25
petrus4
Leaper

For some reason I now feel foolish, regarding my post in this thread. I hope I was not; or at least not excessively.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-13   #26
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
For some reason I now feel foolish, regarding my post in this thread. I hope I was not; or at least not excessively.
I'm curious as to why you feel that why if you'd care to share? Your connection to Kali is clearly as strong as mine to Hecate / Hekate. So much so that she was willing to let Kali use me to speak to you which means there had to be some similarities which easily allowed me to understand and convey. So while you may not honor and be bound to Hecate / Hekate I think you probably have a good understanding of her through association with Kali.
Old 05-23-13   #27
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Since this thread has sort of turned into an all about Hecate / Hekate thread though i'd add a couple of other things that are beyond the op's initial request.

Strophalos of Hecate (Hecate's Wheel)

"Labour about the Hecatick Strophalus" verse 194

http://www.theurgia.org/stanley_patr...n_oracles.html

From wikipedia

Quote:
In the so-called "Chaldean Oracles" that were edited in Alexandria, she was also associated with a serpentine maze around a spiral, known as Hecate's wheel (the "Strophalos of Hecate", verse 194 of Isaac Preston Cory's 1836 translation). The symbolism referred to the serpent's power of rebirth, to the labyrinth of knowledge through which Hecate could lead mankind, and to the flame of life itself: "The life-producing bosom of Hecate, that Living Flame which clothes itself in Matter to manifest Existence" (verse 55 of Cory's translation of the ChaldeanOracles).
The most common image for this Strophalos of Hecate is the image commonly referred to as Hecate's wheel. Unfortunately I have never found any physical or historical evidence to support the conclusion the depiction is anything more than a modern creation. In that regard one can not even find proof of origin for the image. see attached image titled wheel

More realistically the Strophalus of Hecate is probably an item referred to as a jinx. A device that may have taken many shapes and was used in a fashion that produced a whirling or bird like sound as it was spun or acted upon by a wind. It may have been created from a paper or thin wood carved procedure or an actual metal block or cube like structure (dodecahedron) used also in conjunction with the Dneiper suppers.

http://www.philhine.org.uk/writings/rit_jinx.html

Quote:
Excerpt from Byzantine Magic by Henry Maquire:

Quote:
One kind of iynx (also called a strophalos) is a magic wheel used by a theurgist for ritual purposes. Psellos himself explains that the strophalos known as the Hecatic was a golden ball with characters written all over it; it had a sapphire in the middle, was swung by means of a strap made from a bull’s hide, andwas used during invocations.(4) In another type of ritual, again according to information supplied by Psellos,(5) the theurgist used statues of specific deities in order to establish contact with them. The process of making contact involved, among other things, special stones, herbs, animals, and sometimes aromatic substances (aromata), which were placed inside the effigy. Stones and herbs were also used in other rituals to scare away bad demons or to purify the soul. lamblichus tells us that in the art of theurgy certain materials—specific stones, plants, animals, and aromatic substances (aromata)—were regarded as especially suitable for attracting the presence of divinities.(6)
So while the Chaldean verse is referenced as the sourse of the supposed Hecate's Wheel no translation that I have ever found supports the image that is suggested and accepted by many pagan practitioners. One thing appears certain, the image has no historical or mythological foundation to support the suggested meaning of the item. Nor can any one truly identify the source for the wheel like image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dodecahedron.JPG (28.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg wheel.JPG (25.1 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by MonSno_LeeDra; 05-23-13 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-23-13   #28
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Hekate and the supposed sacred Weasel (Polecat)

Every now and then it seems the weasel (polecat) comes up in discussions pertaining to Hekate / Hecate. Many times attesting to its sacredness to Hekate / Hecate or status as a familiar, yet I wonder if that is really so. In most instances I can find but two passages that speak upon Hekate / Hecate and any association to the Weasel (polecat). So since this thread pertains to her association to them I figure they'd be the best source to determine their sacredness to Hekate / Hecate.

I've attached a more detailed write up that maybe of interest.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Hekate and the supposed sacred Weasel.doc (44.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 05-23-13   #29
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Hecate (Artemis) lampadephoros (light-bearer or bringer)

While many forms and epitaphs of Hekate / Hecate are known her persona as Lampadephoros is one of the more difficult to trace with available source documents. In part due I think to only a couple of them referencing this facet and not being translated into English from what I can find.

According to accounts which vary in some of the details, in 340 BCE the Byzantines and their allies the Athenians were under siege by the troops of Philip of Macedon. On a particularly dark and wet night Philip attempted a surprise attack but was thwarted by the appearance of a bright light in the sky. This light is occasionally described by subsequent interpreters as a meteor, sometimes as the moon, and some accounts also mention the barking of dogs. However, the original accounts mention only a light in the sky, without specifying the moon. To commemorate the event the Byzantines erected a statue of Hecate lampadephoros (light-bearer or bringer). This story survived in the works of Hesychius of Miletus, who in all probability lived in the time of Justinian I. His works survive only in fragments preserved in Photius and the tenth century lexicographer Suidas. The tale is also related by Stephanus of Byzantium, and Eustathius.

"In 340 BCE, however, the Byzantines, with the aid of the Athenians, withstood a siege successfully, an occurrence the more remarkable as they were attacked by the greatest general of the age, Philip of Macedon. In the course of this beleaguerment, it is related, on a certain wet and moonless night the enemy attempted a surprise, but were foiled by reason of a bright light which, appearing suddenly in the heavens, startled all the dogs in the town and thus roused the garrison to a sense of their danger. To commemorate this timely phenomenon, which was attributed to Hecate, they erected a public statue to that goddess [...]" William Gordon Holmes, The Age of Justinian and Theodora, 2003 p5-6;
"If any goddess had a connection with the walls in Constantinople, it was Hecate. Hecate had a cult in Byzantium from the time of its founding. Like Byzas in one legend, she had her origins in Thrace. Since Hecate was the guardian of "liminal places," in Byzantium small temples in her honor were placed close to the gates of the city. Hecate's importance to Byzantium was above all as deity of protection. When Philip of Macedon was about to attack the city, according to he legend she alerted the townspeople with her ever-present torches, and with her pack of dogs, which served as her constant companions. Her mythic qualities thenceforth forever entered the fabric of Byzantine history. A statue known as the 'Lampadephoros' was erected on the hill above the Bosphorous to commemorate Hecate's defensive aid." Vasiliki Limberis, Divine Heiress, Routledge, 1994, p126-127
http://www.basicpatterns.com/byzantium/encyclopedia.htm

Note: color change mine to indicate the known references to this story. It should also be noted that much of the cited material appears to be reproduced from Wikipedia entries. Actual translations of the source material I have been unable to discover so have not been able to include references or linkages.

Her location near to the Bosporus places her still within the juncture of ancient Anatolia (modern Turkey) and ancient Thrace (modern Bulgaria / Greece and Turkey). It also keeps within the tradtional notion that Hekate / Hecate originated in one or the other.

The statue is believed to have been erected on the hideside overlooking the Bosphorus Straights near modern day Instanbul. To my knowledge though no known location has been identifed as to where it may have been placed. Additionally I have been unable to discover any specific information pertaining to the specifics of the statue in regard to size, construction material or even what it looked like.

It should also be pointed out that while most translations and referenced accounts point to Hekate / Hecate as the source of the revealing light some accounts indicate it was Artemis (Or Diana in some). It is possible part of the issues arises from the syncretism of Artemis and Hekate / Hecate lore in later periods. Yet it is known that there were sanctuaries to both Hekate / Hecate and Artemis in Byzantium.

On a historical note the city known as Byzantium was later known as Constantinople then changed to its modern name of Istanbul.

Of interest is the association of the Cresent Moon and star being equated to Hecate / Hekate and to the city of Byzantium

Though associated with the Sassanid Persians and with Mithradates VI Eupator (who for a time incorporated the city into his empire), by the late Hellenistic or early Roman period, the star and crescent motif had been associated to some degree with Byzantium. For example, some Byzantine coins of the 1st century BCE and later show the head of Artemis with bow and quiver, and feature a crescent with what appears to be a six-rayed star on the reverse.

Devotion to Hecate was especially favored by the Byzantines for her aid in having protected them from the incursions of Philip of Macedon. Her symbols were the crescent and star, and the walls of her city were her provenance.
http://www.basicpatterns.com/byzantium/encyclopedia.htm

By the late Hellenistic or early Roman period, the star and crescent motif had been associated to some degree with Byzantium . If any goddess had a connection with the walls in Constantinople , it was Hecate . Hecate had a cult in Byzantium from the time of its founding.
http://www.enotes.com/topic/Star_and_crescent

The attachment shows a coin with the depiction of Artemis upon one side and the Cresent Moon and radiating star on the other. It does need to be noted that I have not found any coins depicting Hekate / Hecate on recognized coins from Byzantium.

For me this story sort of evolved from the attached coin I had purchased. It revealed an area of associatioin to both Artemis and Hekate / Hecate which I had been unaware of. Research wise it has proven difficult to trace for the references in both the Numismatics facet and the historical / mythological facet utilize the same referenced material often repeated without direct sourcing information.

But one thing I have discovered is that the Cresent Moon and radiating star seems to have originated as a symbol for Hecate / Hekate from her association and protection of Byzantium. A symbol that even today flies over the city of Byzantium now know as Istanbul.

Attachment is a coin depicting Artemis on one side and the radiating star and crescent upon the other side issued by Byzantion, Thrace, 150 - 200 A.D. The second attachment is in my collection though not as nice an example as the first attachment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg $T2eC16h,!zUE9s39!eniBRnVCv6hPg~~60_3.JPG (88.9 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg Byzantion_Artemis_Crescent_Star.jpg (214.2 KB, 1 views)

Last edited by MonSno_LeeDra; 05-23-13 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-23-13   #30
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
I'm curious as to why you feel that why if you'd care to share?
Only because I sometimes feel that it is very arrogant and presumptuous of me, to make definite statements about the nature of Godforms.

Quote:
Your connection to Kali is clearly as strong as mine to Hecate / Hekate. So much so that she was willing to let Kali use me to speak to you which means there had to be some similarities which easily allowed me to understand and convey. So while you may not honor and be bound to Hecate / Hekate I think you probably have a good understanding of her through association with Kali.
I think you're right; and truthfully, I think Ma has the same stance where Hecate has been concerned with me, that Hecate has had with Kali about her talking to you on my behalf.

"I don't mind you talking to him, but you are not to harm him, and you are also to remember whose he is."

For some reason I do feel a desire to morally defend Hecate, when someone asks about her; that is, to tell them that despite how she looks, she might be stern, but she really is not actually bad. I am fairly sure it's because, during the one occasion when I'm willing to say I definitely did talk to her, she told me that I did not need to be afraid of her, because contrary to what I was expecting, she was not automatically going to kill me; and that was not purely because of my being under Kali's protection, either. There was some indication that she respected me seperately from that.

So if someone asks about her online, I will tell the truth, but I will offer a positive impression as well, because that is what she gave me.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote