Go Back   EarthSong Forums > General Occult > LHP

LHP Left-Hand Path: For discussing traditions that reject conventional religious dogmas and/or practices in favor of techniques or positions that are generally considered 'taboo.'

Old 12-08-13   #1
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Default Interpret this.

I am posting this as a kind of thought experiment and a possible alternative insight into Satanic philosophy.

How would you interpret the video posted below? It is by a Polish Death Metal band Behemoth. It is from a forthcoming album "The Satanist".

I'm not really a big fan of either the band or the genre, but I think this is a powerful video.

I am posting it hidden in adult tags because I will warn that it contains some images which some people might find disturbing or even horrific.
There is however a possible reason for it.
Those who know the band may have an insight into the meaning of this song that others don't.
I am interested in people's interpretations, but if you watch it at all, please watch until the end.

Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Interpret this.

I watched it with the sound as low as possible, as I find that sort of noise disturbing and horrible.
The imagery is a sophisticated barrage of horror and evil; thoroughly repulsive and horrific as I'm sure was the intent. Fans of this stuff can't get enough blood guts and desecration.

A celebration of the triumph of evil over everything lovely, innocent and good.
Great stuff, lol!

Lyrics

I saw the virgin's cunt spawning forth the snake
I witnessed tribes ov Judah reduced to ruin
I watched disciples twelve dissolved by flame
Looked down on son ov god snuffed in vain

Blow your trumpets Gabriel!
As I beheld the bewilderment ov Eden
Break the bread...and crumb by crumb into the Leviathan's den...
Nations fall prey
Hail my return

Hosanna Hosanna
Tribe ov Judah decimate
Hosanna Hosanna
Root ov David eradicate

Hosanna Hosanna
Let wine ov Sodom fill our mouths
Hosanna Hosanna
May Sin ov Gommorah grace our hearts

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13   #3
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
I watched it with the sound as low as possible, as I find that sort of noise disturbing and horrible.
The imagery is a sophisticated barrage of horror and evil; thoroughly repulsive and horrific as I'm sure was the intent. Fans of this stuff can't get enough blood guts and desecration.

A celebration of the triumph of evil over everything lovely, innocent and good.
Great stuff, lol!
Or perhaps there is far more to it than that, which is why I posted it. I will came back to that later.
Yes, disturbing, but I did warn people.

I don't really like the lyrics and I would have put adult tags round them, it is more the video images I am interested in.
Your reaction to it is totally understandable by the way and there was a time when I would have said exactly the same, but there is more to it which I will speak about later.
Old 12-08-13   #4
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

I have very visceral reactions to the music of bands like Behemoth (and worse, lol, because it does get worse) and to the personal associations I have with it, so I watched bits and pieces with my sound turned off. I found the first half of the imagery quite beautiful, and saw some small parts in the rest that weren't so bad either.. but I do have to wonder about the intent behind such a video. It feels very witch-y at first and then becomes veiled with something else I really struggle seeing the point/power of.
SunSister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13   #5
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Or perhaps there is far more to it than that, which is why I posted it. I will came back to that later.
Yes, disturbing, but I did warn people.
Oh please, I work in animal rescue, I see worse by far than this every day of my life. I'm much more disturbed by this shit happening to real life people and other species than I am by these silly videos.

If you want to be "disturbed" let me know. I can send you disturbing shit, lol, that will make this staged "SPOOKIE WOOKIE" crap look like the nonsense it is.

Quote:
I don't really like the lyrics and I would have put adult tags round them, it is more the video images I am interested in.
Your reaction to it is totally understandable by the way and there was a time when I would have said exactly the same, but there is more to it which I will speak about later.
Oh please do enlighten us.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-13   #6
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Two possible interpretations of the video that are not just a glorification of horror and evil.

1) A philosophical Satanist perspective.
A girl goes through a journey and a transformation. She walks through a field looking lost and confused and finds herself with a trio of Satanists. She then becomes involved in a shocking ritual of some sort. After the girl drinks the ritual (wine?) she goes through a painful transformation. She starts vomiting blood, thorns pierce her body, her eyes become red with blood and she loses her hair. She is confronting her own demons, her own fears as well as all the conventions she has grown up with.
There are religious images splashed throughout the video: a rosary, a crucifix, a Jewish menorah, a man sacrificing a lamb, etc. Perhaps the girl’s battle represents The Satanist’s battle against all religions and ideologies. It is a battle against systems that attempt to control the mind and the soul. It the end, the new Satanist who emerges from these difficult confrontations and processes of change is more powerful having overcome the religious restraints on her mind. She takes on a form that some may not find beautiful but which is her true self, and she does something that Christ speaks against – she blows her own horn. She is an entity onto herself, a primeval wolf in the forest, her own personal God. She proclaims herself as such while false religions crumble around her.
That interpretation is not exactly Disney, but nor is it the glorification of evil that some would see it as.

A second interpretation is based on the fact that Nergal (the vocalist of the band) said he was inspired in the making of this album by his battle with cancer; and there are few things more brutal or potentially soul destroying than that.
What happens to a person when they battle cancer? They lose their hair, spend a lot of time vomiting – possibly vomiting blood – and of course go through mind wrenching pain. I think this girl’s transformation could represent Nergal’s interpersonal battle with cancer. At the end of the painful transformation, the girl is something new – something unearthly. She is an angel or a demon, blowing Gabriel’s trumpet. She is more powerful than she was before, having overcome the heinous assault of cancer .

I think probably the meaning of the video is a mixture of these two ideas.
Old 12-08-13   #7
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

Not my style of music. I'm more of a punk rock girl, but for what it is I thought it was actually pretty good.

In the lyrics even, what I see is fairly profound, if over played. If we interpret the speaker as being Satan, then it's almost a Christian Gnostic sort of message; that is, God's the bad guy, find your own path. Christ is the snake in the first line, and Christianity caused the "ruin" of the tribes of Judah. Christ's death was a pointless and cruel gesture, and the religion which came of it has had the entire world in its power hungry grip for two millenia.

Regardless of whether or not I agree with the message, or the rather stilted and dare I say juvenile method by which it was delivered, there's a real message there.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Katharine is offline   Reply With Quote