Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > Interspecies Communication

Interspecies Communication verbal non verbal, telepathic - listening to animal whispers, the sound of the voiceless in our world

Old 12-26-13   #1
petrus4
Leaper

Default Something about me, that I wish dogs would accept

My father's schnauzer, Zeus, is here at the moment. Earlier today, (Boxing Day) I went to the kitchen to get myself some leftover food. Zeus was sitting next to me, and constantly hovering around underfoot, as he always does when I am preparing food.

I waved at him with an arm, (which did not touch him, and was around a foot away from him) as I would wave away a fly, and told him to exit the kitchen, and go back into the living room, which he did. I was annoyed, but I was not physically abusive towards him, and I did not speak to him in a manner that I would not speak to humans.

Ever since then, he has cringed and been physically avoidant. He will not let me pat him, and when I offered him some chicken earlier, he would not accept it.

As well as being exposed to some telepathic animal communicators, I have had some direct experiences with a couple of spiders recently, that has finally convinced me that animals are undeniably sentient. They may not be capable of complex mathematics, but they understand, in broad terms at least, when they are communicated with.

So I do not understand why it is that when dogs in particular, behave in a manner which I would also find annoying in humans, become terrified of me and permanently regard me as a monster afterwards, if I express said annoyance, but am not physically abusive towards them, and do not even really raise my voice, as I did not with Zeus.

I admit; I'm in a full time state of physical and emotional distress at the moment, (basically moderate panic) as I always am when my father is around. He has been staying here for Christmas, and I have had horrible nightmares both mornings that he has been here, just before waking up; including yesterday when he arrived. Yesterday I also had a panic attack which led to severely painful heartburn, and caused me to leave the house temporarily, before I was able to compose myself sufficiently to accept the idea of having Christmas dinner.

I just wish that Zeus specifically, and canines more generally, were more capable of empathising with me, and didn't just view me as a monster. I've been in other places where it was accepted as a given that if you were sitting at a dinner table and a dog was present, the people eating were actually under greater pressure to ignore the dog, than the dog was to stop begging. My father actually expressed that attitude yesterday.

I'm sorry, but no. I do not want to have to eat a meal under the constant, expectant scrutiny of a dog, and I also do not want to have to get food with the risk of falling over said dog, and potential serious injury, simply because the dog will not get out of the way.

I can accept it if people want me to treat animals with humanity and respect, but as far as I am concerned, it needs to go both ways. I already have that arrangement with arachnids, and have for years. If I go into a room such as our bathroom, or even my bedroom here, and a spider suddenly materialises directly in front of my face, (which they often do) then they will be adamantly told to climb back up and maintain a respectful distance, which with remarkable consistency lately, they have immediately done.

I do not injure them. I do not kill them. I do not even expel them from the house. I simply ask that they respect my boundaries, and I am prepared to do the same for them.

I believe that people should be more willing to instill some basic discipline where dogs are concerned, rather than expecting others to put up with behaviours such as begging, lying in the middle of walkways, and so on. That does not mean that I advocate physically beating the dog, at all. It simply means establishing a pattern where the dog is verbally told, over a sufficiently long period of time, not to engage in a certain form of behaviour, that they learn to accept it.

I still have a fundamental relational problem with canines at this point, which truthfully I am no longer experiencing with any other animals. I was in Melbourne recently and was talking to one of the pigeons there, and it came right up to my feet, as did a baby magpie we encountered in the back garden not long ago. So as mentioned, my relations with avians and arachnids in particular, are generally excellent in both cases.

I wish to be kind to animals, and have a positive relationship with them; and as mentioned, with virtually every other type, I now do. Dogs, however, seem unwilling to acknowledge the basic idea that a relationship must be on the terms of both parties; not just theirs. I want said relationship to be equitable; I will not be subordinate to them.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Something about me, that I wish dogs would accept

Oh, I think I can give you some ideas about this, based on what you have said here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
My father's schnauzer, Zeus, is here at the moment. Earlier today, (Boxing Day) I went to the kitchen to get myself some leftover food. Zeus was sitting next to me, and constantly hovering around underfoot, as he always does when I am preparing food.

I waved at him with an arm, (which did not touch him, and was around a foot away from him) as I would wave away a fly, and told him to exit the kitchen, and go back into the living room, which he did. I was annoyed, but I was not physically abusive towards him, and I did not speak to him in a manner that I would not speak to humans.
There's nothing wrong with asking a dog to do (or not do something) and I am sure you didn't intend to upset him or be mean. But it seems he did pick up on annoyance and felt intimidated. Dogs are individuals petrus and the degree to which one is bothered by a human behaviour depends on many factors, starting with that dogs' temperament, and a very close second, the type of relationship that has built up ovr the years. For example, I have a very close, loving and connected relationship with my dog Daniel. I can count on one hand the number of times I've had to actully shout at him; yesterday was one of them. There was a full recipe of yeast dough on the kitchen table and with everything going on I had forgotten to babygate Dan in the other room so he wouldn't be tempted to get into anything. From the other side of the room I saw him go straight at the dough - his head is about parallel with the table, he could have just gulped it - and yeast dough, raw is a major health hazard for any dog. I literally bellowed at him and of course he turned tail and scooted out of the room. When I went to put up the babygate he was sitting there sheepishly and looked at me as if to say, wow, mom holy freakout. I tossed him some cheese and that was completely and totally that.
Because he knows I love him with all my heart, and if I get upset it's rare and it's serious.
I cite this to make the point that how a dog reacts to human moods really depends on how they have come to understand that human. I feel that Zeus is probably not too sure about you to start with, so your escalated annoyance regarding the boundaries was more lastingly hurtful. I'd like to ask a couple of things here before I go on:

Do other people in the family give him food when he comes after them into the kitchen? In other words, is it a reasonable expectation of his, that human eating means he gets a treat?

How old is Zeus and how long has he lived with you? Would you describe him as a sensitive dog? Who in the family is he closest to?

Aside from begging for food - a very natural canine behaviour - can you elaborate on other things he does that bug you?

Quote:

As well as being exposed to some telepathic animal communicators, I have had some direct experiences with a couple of spiders recently, that has finally convinced me that animals are undeniably sentient. They may not be capable of complex mathematics, but they understand, in broad terms at least, when they are communicated with.
Somewhere between quantum physics and just grasping basic communication, we can find animal intelligence, with variables according to species. Truly they are much more intelligent and sophisticated than most people understand....yet.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/pr...ists-1.1322230

Quote:
So I do not understand why it is that when dogs in particular, behave in a manner which I would also find annoying in humans, become terrified of me and permanently regard me as a monster afterwards, if I express said annoyance, but am not physically abusive towards them, and do not even really raise my voice, as I did not with Zeus.

I admit; I'm in a full time state of physical and emotional distress at the moment, (basically moderate panic) as I always am when my father is around. He has been staying here for Christmas, and I have had horrible nightmares both mornings that he has been here, just before waking up; including yesterday when he arrived. Yesterday I also had a panic attack which led to severely painful heartburn, and caused me to leave the house temporarily, before I was able to compose myself sufficiently to accept the idea of having Christmas dinner.
I am so sorry you're going through this petrus, I suffered from panic attacks for years, that left me just legless and sweating - and still, on rare occasion, will have a (usually milder) version. I know how Hellish they are. And I think you have nailed at least one part of why Zeus at times appears scared of you(I say *at times* because clearly, when the fridge is involved, he's not that scared, lol). It strikes me (and your answers to my questions above will help clarify) that there is a lot of emotional ..stuff going on right now, hasn't Zeus been separated from his main human, I think that's your Dad(you did say that, it's just very early here)? Between the general confusion (for him) your panic attacks and his empathizing/reading of them, and what appears to ME to be a lack of clarity about boundaries, I'm not surprised Zeus is a little anxious.
The good news is there's also lots you can do about it ( unlike the Milo issues, so much harder to train cats, as I am sure you know). More on that below.

Quote:
I just wish that Zeus specifically, and canines more generally, were more capable of empathising with me, and didn't just view me as a monster. I've been in other places where it was accepted as a given that if you were sitting at a dinner table and a dog was present, the people eating were actually under greater pressure to ignore the dog, than the dog was to stop begging. My father actually expressed that attitude yesterday.
Now here you have to relaly get clear on one thing; this is the HUMAN'S fault, THEIR responsibility and not the dog's. Dogs are little clever three year olds; they do what they are allowed to do, and they LOVE food. I always have Danny beside me when I eat; he gets a bite or I leave some for him, I often cook extra veggies so he can share with me and they're good for him. But when people are here? I babygate him ( our household runs on 2 things, the vaccuum cleaner and the babygates). Sometimes I feel bad, because he wants to be involved with the party, but he can hang with Alex's dogs and many humans do NOT like an 80 pound Ridgeback laying his head on their lap during a meal, no matter how endearing those brown eyes can be. It's up to your Dad to give Zeus some boundaries - get a chew toy, put him in his crate with the door open, or just put up the babygate(close the door!). I agree that the feelings of the humans here should count. Danny is the love of my heart and we are inseparable, but I don't think it harms him in any way to go to the office(he has a large bed beside where I work) for a couple of hours every once in a while!

Quote:
I'm sorry, but no. I do not want to have to eat a meal under the constant, expectant scrutiny of a dog, and I also do not want to have to get food with the risk of falling over said dog, and potential serious injury, simply because the dog will not get out of the way.
Agreed. 100%. But it's not the dog's doing here and you absolutely need to address any resentment you are accumulating toward him - he can feel that, and he will be confused.

Quote:
I can accept it if people want me to treat animals with humanity and respect, but as far as I am concerned, it needs to go both ways. I already have that arrangement with arachnids, and have for years. If I go into a room such as our bathroom, or even my bedroom here, and a spider suddenly materialises directly in front of my face, (which they often do) then they will be adamantly told to climb back up and maintain a respectful distance, which with remarkable consistency lately, they have immediately done.

I do not injure them. I do not kill them. I do not even expel them from the house. I simply ask that they respect my boundaries, and I am prepared to do the same for them.

I believe that people should be more willing to instill some basic discipline where dogs are concerned, rather than expecting others to put up with behaviours such as begging, lying in the middle of walkways, and so on.
Of course! Dogs are so easily shaped, with positive (reward-based) training, and they can become so highly trained that people put their kids' lives in the care. Dogs are smart, generally good natured and they loves humans. All that has to happen here is Zeus has to be shown some household rules. There is nothing at all wrong with that - in fact, it's a necessity.
I think your resentment is misplaced, and your understanding of canine behaviour can use a little polishing, but it's really your Dad and mom you have to speak with about Zeus.

Quote:
That does not mean that I advocate physically beating the dog, at all. It simply means establishing a pattern where the dog is verbally told, over a sufficiently long period of time, not to engage in a certain form of behaviour, that they learn to accept it.

I still have a fundamental relational problem with canines at this point, which truthfully I am no longer experiencing with any other animals. I was in Melbourne recently and was talking to one of the pigeons there, and it came right up to my feet, as did a baby magpie we encountered in the back garden not long ago. So as mentioned, my relations with avians and arachnids in particular, are generally excellent in both cases.

I wish to be kind to animals, and have a positive relationship with them; and as mentioned, with virtually every other type, I now do. Dogs, however, seem unwilling to acknowledge the basic idea that a relationship must be on the terms of both parties; not just theirs. I want said relationship to be equitable; I will not be subordinate to them.
Now really, petrus here is where I get lost. Because your family permits this dog to engage in behaviours that are totally natural to them (being part of th pack, scavenging) in no way means dogs need you to be subordinate to them. This is where your thinking goes offtrack, for me.I think a good place to start with Zeus is understanding that no matter how annoying his little behaviours may be, he's not doing it "to get at you" or to make you the low dog here. He just wants food and company; he's been told that's ok, why wouldn't he do it? If anyone is undermining you and treating you with alack of respect, it's whomever does not care that having Zeus underfoot while you eat is difficult for you. As I've said, I remove my dog who is accustomed to sitting IN A CHAIR and eating with me, three times a day, when people arrive. Sometimes we try him in the room a bit, but if he gets pushy(he usually does,) then that's that. I've also experienced anger at times, in the past anyway, when a human I lived with seemed to "put the dog above me"...it was a struggle not to be irritated with the dog! And I love animals more than anything, so I know how easy it is to fall into that trap.
But just don't let it happen. Zeus is an innocent here, and he should be taught some rules, in a friendly and positive way. End of story. you may never be a dog-person, petrus, but you are making an effort, which is not what I see from the family. Please just try to keep this in mind.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13   #3
DonelleBeira

The bottom line in all of this to me is - you don't like dogs. They pick that up in your voice, you body movements, and, yes, I believe almost telepathically they read your true thoughts and react based on that "reading". Based on your previous comments about animals, I am not surprised in the least at Zeus' reaction. In the future, ask your parents, and everyone else you know who has dogs, to please leave them at home when coming to your home. You do have that right and that would be the best solution for all.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-13   #4
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

I'll agree with the telepathic note. Dogs are extremely sensitive to tone, body language, even facial expression. A real dog person can often modify a dog's behaviour by gesture alone. I actually get on better with cats, but I manage dogs just fine.

The trick is patience. If you're angry, they're going to pick up on it, and it's deeply programmed into the dog brain that making you happy is their top priority. They get upset when they don't know what will make you happy, and positively devastated when they feel like they've failed at it.

They need to hear over and over again, calmly, what is expected of them; and generally they'll figure it out. That's not going to happen with Zeus because you dad has taught him a set of behaviours which are unacceptable to you. Trying to teach him two different sets of rules isn't likely to work, and your dad is just going to keep reinforcing the poor behaviour.

Its your dad who needs training.

I have a neighbor who's been doing the same thing. His dog runs into the street to bark at pedestrians and even tried to bite me once (he missed). He reinforces this behaviour by then comforting the dog, which he interprets to mean it's his job to harass people and that they're not supposed to walk past his house.

I'm certainly not gonna confront anyone, and I opted for a little spellwork over arranging for the dog to be taken away, and of late the owner has been taking much better care of him, so it seems to be alright.

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Katharine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13   #5
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonelleBeira View Post
The bottom line in all of this to me is - you don't like dogs. They pick that up in your voice, you body movements, and, yes, I believe almost telepathically they read your true thoughts and react based on that "reading". Based on your previous comments about animals, I am not surprised in the least at Zeus' reaction. In the future, ask your parents, and everyone else you know who has dogs, to please leave them at home when coming to your home. You do have that right and that would be the best solution for all.
One of the things that I am really having to try and work on right now, is refraining from falling apart psychologically, when I am demonised. My experience on Reddit has been extremely fortifying in that regard, but I still have some work to do. My father's overwhelming tendency to do so at times in the past, is the main reason why I have been constantly on edge while he has been here, during Christmas. Fortunately, he leaves tomorrow, which I am looking forward to, because it will allow me to relax.

My current state of tension is not at all good for me, physically; and I have said before, that generally the only thing which will cause me to abuse alcohol is my father's presence. I drank on Christmas Eve, for the third time in the last twelve months.

I have been finding that it is necessary to develop a robust, internal sense of morality, and check myself as thoroughly as possible against that. If, after having done so, and being able to ascertain to the best of my ability that I have done nothing wrong, I am still attacked, then I am finding it necessary to conclude that said attack is due to the other person's problem; not mine.

My thanks to Fera, for being willing to acknowledge that I am trying. Katharine's explanation of owner irresponsibility, has also been consistent with my father's behaviour regarding Zeus.
Old 12-27-13   #6
feranaja

But I made several points here aside from supporting you; chiefly that it is not appropriate to allow any animal to interfere with the comfort of a human resident, within the bounds of reason. So not cats on the table, I don't let my bird fly around and land on people's heads; we humans have social rules and so do dogs. No one in my house will be unkind to any animal; conversely, no animal will be permitted to make someone's life miserable either.

When disputes arise, they are opportunities for growth.

MY point was that your dog is not to blame, it is your father's responsibility.
I guess my reply was too lengthy, I apologize. If you get a chance to read it all, I asked several questions. I don't think it's good enough to say "well, the owners are to blame" or "well dogs are so sensitive". Both are true, but you need solutions. If you want to work with the ideas I put forth, I can offer practical strategies for dealing with Zeus. On a spiritual level you have a great opportunity here as well.
If you can answer the questions, I can try to help.

Shane Parrish
Old 12-27-13   #7
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katharine View Post
I
The trick is patience. If you're angry, they're going to pick up on it, and it's deeply programmed into the dog brain that making you happy is their top priority. They get upset when they don't know what will make you happy, and positively devastated when they feel like they've failed at it.
My experience has been a little different. SOME dogs live to make you happy, some just realize it's good lifeskills to do so, others truly don't give much of a damn. TheThing and I have lived with all these types, so it's not conjecture. I would say it's fairly standard for dogs to regard us as parents and not want to piss us off. But it's by no means universal. Luke regarded me as his personal assistant from the day he arrived, I do not exaggarate.

And you do need to work with the dog you have, not an idea of what a dog always is or should be. Dogs who are actually devastated by failing to make a human smile are, IMHO, the minority. but none of them like it much. And then there's those who truly couldn't care less.

Quote:
They need to hear over and over again, calmly, what is expected of them; and generally they'll figure it out.
Again I am not nitpicking here but it's an important point. I agree 100% about calm and patient demeanour - but simply stating what you want won't cut it. you need to mark the correct response with a reward. As Katharine points out below it is always harder to UNtrain a learned behaviour but that too can be done. In this case, I think Zeus needs to be given a distraction and kept in a separate room while people eat. The issue of him hovering around the fridge is a separate matter. YOu teach him that NOT doing it brings the reward. It's somewhat advanced, but it's doable.

Quote:
That's not going to happen with Zeus because you dad has taught him a set of behaviours which are unacceptable to you. Trying to teach him two different sets of rules isn't likely to work, and your dad is just going to keep reinforcing the poor behaviour.

Its your dad who needs training.
What I would hope for here is compromise; that petrus' Dad realizes the discomfort his son feels is valid, even if it seems excessive or whatever. I think the deeper issue is that petrus does not feel respected at home and the dog is a symbol of that - all the time. I also believe that petrus CAN teach Zeus to behave differently around him when he goes to make his own food. The large family gatherings are a separate issue, and feelings can flare, but hopefully those don't happen all the time.

My bottom line is, I think this can be worked on. Yes, dogs are unbelievably sensitive and petrus is not crazy about this one. but they are also forgiving, generally clever, and this one sounds pretty good natured. I think working with Zeus can be an allround positive thing for human and dog. And the help is here if it's wanted.

Shane Parrish
Old 12-27-13   #8
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
What I would hope for here is compromise; that petrus' Dad realizes the discomfort his son feels is valid, even if it seems excessive or whatever.
Dad has never really done that since my brothers were born. It's just too easy to take the cowardly way out, and get on the bandwagon with whoever else thinks that I'm the one who is causing the problem.

He has gone home now, so I can breathe again. His last words on the way out were to invite me out to his place, with my brothers, for a few days. He's at a farm, off the public transport network. Outwardly I said I'd think about it, but my thought was that there is no way in Hell.

My relationship with him now, is about as positive as it is ever going to be, I think; and I've accepted that. I've stopped hating him, and being angry when he's not around...but when he is, the shaking, the panic attacks, the nightmares, and the diarrhea all come back, temporarily; as does the binge alcoholism, sometimes.

Nimbin is going to be good; a welcome release.

Last edited by petrus4; 12-28-13 at 04:15 PM.
Old 12-27-13   #9
DonelleBeira

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
One of the things that I am really having to try and work on right now, is refraining from falling apart psychologically, when I am demonised. My experience on Reddit has been extremely fortifying in that regard, but I still have some work to do. My father's overwhelming tendency to do so at times in the past, is the main reason why I have been constantly on edge while he has been here, during Christmas. Fortunately, he leaves tomorrow, which I am looking forward to, because it will allow me to relax.
Sweetheart, I wasn't "demonizing" you in any way. Simply stating what is fact based on your previous comments - you don't care for animals and they can pick up on that fact then react accordingly. This is not a failing or character flaw or anything along those lines - and was NOT a judgement call against you.

In this world there are all kinds of people and all these kinds balance each other out, in my simple mind anyway. For everyone like me who oos and aahhs and gushes over dogs and will go to great extremes on their behalf, there is someone like you who simply doesn't care for them. Nothing wrong with either of us - we are simply on opposite ends of the spectrum in this area. I try, really try, to understand folk who love reptiles as much as I do dogs - I don't get that at all. But that doesn't mean anything is wrong with me or them - we are simply different.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-13   #10
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonelleBeira View Post
Sweetheart, I wasn't "demonizing" you in any way. Simply stating what is fact based on your previous comments - you don't care for animals and they can pick up on that fact then react accordingly.
My experience has been heavily coloured by over-protective parents. Additionally, I am unfortunately extremely allergically sensitive, which has prevented me from getting close to at least one animal who I did have a positive, and reciprocal relationship with. My parents previously owned a cat who we had adopted, after its' owner, the next door neighbour's daughter at the time, had abused it over an extended period of time.

Said cat remained severely psychologically traumatised over the entirety of its' lifespan with us; but it nonetheless did indicate to me that it valued me. I would often venture outside of the house late at night, and go to a service station some distance away. The cat would follow, and wait for me outside the service station until I had finished shopping, at which time it would then follow me back home.

We found each other kindred spirits. The cat was schizotypal and reclusive due to its' abuse, as I was likewise, due to some of mine; so as well as my allergic reaction to its' fur, we understood each other. I did not attempt to pressure it with more physical attention than it wanted, and it did not pester me for the same.

Although I was unfortunately not present with it at the time of its' death, due to the collapse of our family, my father retained custody of it. It suffered from epilepsy towards the end of its' life, and had apparently always had seizures, so it ultimately had to be put down. My father told me that he had often comforted the cat immediately after it had had one of its' fits; and it relieved me to know that its' last years, were in the presence of people who loved it.