Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > The Physical Temple

The Physical Temple Care and feeding of the body, nutrition, herbs and supplements, exercise, alternative healing modalities - all fit here

Old 01-05-15   #1
Bartmanhomer

Default Plastic Surgery

I don't understand why people use too much plastic surgery. Sure they want to look good and attractive. But I think too much plastic surgery destroy the body. What's your take on plastic surgery?
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15   #2
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Default Re: Plastic Surgery

I think there are valid uses for plastic surgery -- reconstruction after serious injury, or fixing some congenital defect, for instance. I've considered getting plastic surgery to fix a partially deviated septum (the part between the nostrils, inside the nose) which makes it difficult (impossible, really) to breath through my nose during cardiovascular exercise. It doesn't affect me much in my day to day life, so it's not on my list of priorities, but it's right there under laser corrective eye surgery.

Now, I wouldn't be doing either of those to make myself more attractive, either to my own perspective or that of another, it would be to correct something which otherwise makes my life more difficult. But therein lies the problem. Suppose someone with Body Dysmorphic Disorder wishes to get plastic surgery in order to feel more comfortable in their own body, are they not correcting something which for them causes a difficulty in their daily life? But where does it stop? They may then begin to get more plastic surgery to correct the previous surgeries, thus reinforcing the perception of self imperfection, thus deepening the body dysmorphia.

Ultimately, it would be better if we had a society that honored beauty in all its forms and held each person and being in creation as intrinsically perfect, but that not being the case (for the most part), it's up to the doctor to use discretion and separate those who could truly benefit from the surgery from those that are just willing to pay ... which also, is all too rare.
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15   #3
feranaja

For me, anything that anyone wants to do, in terms of body modification, is fine. To condemn a woman for having a facelift while covering yourself in tattoos is the height of hypocrisy. I do see some cases of famous people who have gone (IMO) overboard, for sure... but for millions of people, cosmetic surgery has been a Godsend. Ever see what someone's body looks like after they lose 150 pounds? They need to wear girdles to hold all the loose skin in place. Of course, if modern science can help us feel better about ourselves, why not? I don't take a stand pro or con, I think it's a personal decision and no one has the right to condemn or judge anyone else for it.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15   #4
Bartmanhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
For me, anything that anyone wants to do, in terms of body modification, is fine. To condemn a woman for having a facelift while covering yourself in tattoos is the height of hypocrisy. I do see some cases of famous people who have gone (IMO) overboard, for sure... but for millions of people, cosmetic surgery has been a Godsend. Ever see what someone's body looks like after they lose 150 pounds? They need to wear girdles to hold all the loose skin in place. Of course, if modern science can help us feel better about ourselves, why not? I don't take a stand pro or con, I think it's a personal decision and no one has the right to condemn or judge anyone else for it.
I know a few celebrity who got massive plastic surgery like Michael Jackson and Joan Rivers. They went overboard with plastic surgery for who knows how many times they went.
Old 01-06-15   #5
feranaja

It's still their right, as awful as it is to see. Important to remember that addiction to surgery is a problem but not the majority. Most people have a nose job or a facelift (or a few more things, if they have for example aged prematurely or lost a lot of weight) and that's it.

Shane Parrish
Old 01-06-15   #6
Bartmanhomer

Quote:
It's still their right, as awful as it is to see. Important to remember that addiction to surgery is a problem but not the majority. Most people have a nose job or a facelift (or a few more things, if they have for example aged prematurely or lost a lot of weight) and that's it.
I'm not saying they don't have any right. I'm saying too much plastic surgery can lead to many health problems.
Old 01-06-15   #7
feranaja

Such as?
And how much is too much?

Who decides?

Shane Parrish
Old 01-06-15   #8
Bartmanhomer

Quote:
Such as?
And how much is too much?

Who decides?
Well, uh, I don't know. Skin disease. 5 to 10 times using plastic surgery. The person who using the plastic surgery.
Old 01-06-15   #9
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Here's an interesting documentary on genital plastic surgery (in this case, labioplasty), "The Perfect Vagina."

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/perfect-vagina/

I largely agree with what you're saying, Fera, but I think it's very related (psychologically) to drug use and drug abuse, or drinking alcohol. Who are we to say what another person should or should not put in their body? But it becomes obvious when someone has crossed the line and are no longer in a place of being ABLE to make sane decisions. Would you sit by while a friend drank themselves to death, as is their right?
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-15   #10
feranaja

Good lord, I can hardly compare getting a facelift or some other work to alcoholism.
But if you are saying, would I sit by whena friend went berserk with cosmetic surgery? Honestly, even that(which i have never seen) is not anywhere near as damaging as drug abuse. It can of course be damaging, but it's not the same thing, to me, at all. Would I interfere if someone decided to cover their whole body with tats? Nope. It's probably just as bad as becoming a surgery addict, but still - it's their right.

I did see that documentary. And it strikes me, that using surgery to make oneself into a living barbie, for the consumption of others, is a wholly different phenomenon from, the overworked woman who needs a facelift (autobiographical and I am SO glad I did it) or the person who hates their oversized ears and gets 'em pinned back. I feel very positively about the latter, and feel sad about the former. But it still doesn't give me the right to judge.

Shane Parrish