Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft

Witchcraft Forum for discussion of all types of the Craft, Dianic to BTW, and everything in between

Old 06-10-15   #11
petrus4
Leaper

Default Re: Cursing - is it ever justified?

I view cursing as a normal element of magical adolescence, for the most part. It's like sitting in bed on Xanax, while listening to Goth rock and doing freestyle invocation of the Goetia because you think it makes you look badass. It's immature, but most of us have been there.

Once you get a bit more experience under your belt, you start to learn a couple of things. One of the most important of said things, is that contrary to what you might think, you really aren't the biggest or toughest kid on the block. As a result of this, either throwing out curses indiscriminately, or disrupting too many spirits of a given type in a short period, (yes, even, and especially, those who genuinely deserve it) will likely get you the attention of something very large and very nasty, who will in turn start a fight that you won't be able to finish.

Age brings knowledge of one's limits, which is extremely valuable.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15   #12
feranaja

I was never that kid, I was the second coming of Galadriel who was going to shine my white light everywhere and overcome all that is vile in the world. I didn't curse anyone, I believed that love could heal all. I was accused of cursing, but it was not so. Only the last few years have I come to see that there are cases in which individuals must be stopped, and if nice methods fail - OH WELL.

But I'm still not stooping to throwing curses. I use the idea of the geis - a type of magic that acts like a taboo, states that only if the individual you're targeting commits a transgression(and by this I mean, tortures babies, not wears a hat you don't like) then punishment befalls them. But not punishment like some of the stuff I read on Sarah's blog. Punishment that stops the activities but still holds hope for rehabilitation. Making a truly ethical and effective geis is no simple thing. But there are times it's necessary.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-15   #13
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

I personally think the notion of "Curse" is becoming to wide in definition. In the past it was pretty limited and people used geis, hex, evil eye, etc to define actions that could be seen as negative but tried to control how it was used.
Old 06-11-15   #14
ffetcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Maybe wine for that one, Al. It's a very magical thing, I think - and requires slow sipping.
Reminds me that I must bottle the new lot of our 'magic potion'. We can bring 85ml each.

Occasionally, cursing will make the curser feel better. Other than that, except in cultures where there's a firm belief in such things, and my locality is not one of them, IMO it achieves nothing.

Okay, locally we've cursed the man who glassed one of the most popular barmaids in the area, but that's just a practical thing. When he gets out of jail, if he shows his face in the area again he'll have a nasty accident. But that's kind of different.

blessings
ffetcher
(a tee-shirt for the top quark team at CERN: now the title of an anthology of papers on quantum physics edited by Stephen Hawking)
ffetcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-15   #15
Nocturnal~Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
I was never that kid, I was the second coming of Galadriel who was going to shine my white light everywhere and overcome all that is vile in the world. I didn't curse anyone, I believed that love could heal all. I was accused of cursing, but it was not so. Only the last few years have I come to see that there are cases in which individuals must be stopped, and if nice methods fail - OH WELL.

But I'm still not stooping to throwing curses. I use the idea of the geis - a type of magic that acts like a taboo, states that only if the individual you're targeting commits a transgression(and by this I mean, tortures babies, not wears a hat you don't like) then punishment befalls them. But not punishment like some of the stuff I read on Sarah's blog. Punishment that stops the activities but still holds hope for rehabilitation. Making a truly ethical and effective geis is no simple thing. But there are times it's necessary.
I've never heard this term before. What is it, if you don't mind my asking?
Old 11-01-15   #16
Bee Eye

Lol - I can relate to you feranaja in terms of having been the second coming of Galadriel when I was younger - as well as having been accused of cursing someone when I didn't.

My old best friend (she passed away in 2005) was a half Cherokee medicine woman and she talked about the old matriarchal societies using wise and effective cursing in rare situations - the geis you mentioned - as a means to maintain and take care of the social order. Doing so should not be an emotionally based decision and the welfare of the individual being cursed should also be considered.

In the 1980's she lived in and managed a large shared home. One of the women who lived there had been sexually abused in her youth. A man kept calling and making obscene phone calls which was having a devastating emotional impact on that tennant.

One day when he called he got my best friend on the phone. She calmly and with clear intent said, "I curse your life for 3 days," and hung up. He never called back. I wonder what those three days were like for him...

Last edited by Bee Eye; 11-01-15 at 09:11 PM.
Bee Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15   #17
petrus4
Leaper

This is a relevant topic for me right now. There is someone living at the hostel currently who wants to be a long term resident; and while he is an angry, dominant alcoholic, he still is in a sufficiently low key manner that I can not complain to the owner about him. I do not want his company, and it is beginning to make it difficult for me to socially interact with anyone else here, because he is usually always present in group situations.

I don't want to harm or injure this man in any way, but I do want him gone; and while I have enough practice with Neville Goddard's technique now that I can make it work, this person is determined to remain living here, which means that I would end up wrestling with his will for months. I do not want that.

I would also prefer to avoid any contact with spirits who are potentially going to harm or pollute my sphere, and that is the main reason why I am finding this difficult. Calling up something suitably objectionable to deal with the problem would not be hard for me; but it is the consequences of such an act that I am concerned about.

If anyone is willing to offer me some suggestions (in private message, if you consider it too incriminating) on effective magick for the discreet and non-harmful deterrence of such individuals, I would appreciate it.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-15   #18
feranaja

you might not want to hear how I would handle this situation; it wouldn't involve cursing, or, at least initially, any magic specifically directed to having him leave.
I'll write it up, but I am suggesting, in advance of taking that time out of a crazy week, that it isn't going to be a quick fix thing, nor focused entirely on HIM.

Shane Parrish
Old 11-02-15   #19
SoulFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
I view cursing as a normal element of magical adolescence, for the most part. It's like sitting in bed on Xanax, while listening to Goth rock and doing freestyle invocation of the Goetia because you think it makes you look badass. It's immature, but most of us have been there.
Some people get stuck there. They don't seem to mature emotionally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
Once you get a bit more experience under your belt, you start to learn a couple of things. One of the most important of said things, is that contrary to what you might think, you really aren't the biggest or toughest kid on the block. As a result of this, either throwing out curses indiscriminately, or disrupting too many spirits of a given type in a short period, (yes, even, and especially, those who genuinely deserve it) will likely get you the attention of something very large and very nasty, who will in turn start a fight that you won't be able to finish.

Age brings knowledge of one's limits, which is extremely valuable.
AGREED.
Old 11-03-15   #20
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Eye View Post
Lol - I can relate to you feranaja in terms of having been the second coming of Galadriel when I was younger - as well as having been accused of cursing someone when I didn't.

My old best friend (she passed away in 2005) was a half Cherokee medicine woman and she talked about the old matriarchal societies using wise and effective cursing in rare situations - the geis you mentioned - as a means to maintain and take care of the social order. Doing so should not be an emotionally based decision and the welfare of the individual being cursed should also be considered.

In the 1980's she lived in and managed a large shared home. One of the women who lived there had been sexually abused in her youth. A man kept calling and making obscene phone calls which was having a devastating emotional impact on that tennant.

One day when he called he got my best friend on the phone. She calmly and with clear intent said, "I curse your life for 3 days," and hung up. He never called back. I wonder what those three days were like for him...

"Wise and effective" is the keynote here, IMO. Sometimes, not often but once in a while, something "negative" needs to happen.But this is in response to harassment, violence etc, NOT someone pissed you off in the internet. One advantage of getting older is, we can look back and discern patterns; every person who aimed truly hateful, destructive magic at me (and there were many) is suffering, with the ringleader most of all.(I actually feel very badly for her and would reach out if I thought it would do any good, but that's another story).

It's far wiser to practise sending the curses to the void, ongoing protection and let the one doing the curses suffer the fruits of their own hatred(they will). Any cursing or laying of a geis must be done when there is no alternative, and I am struck y the phrase "with consideration for the welfare of the individual" - to be able to do that, clearly shows the curse is not emotionally-driven, which is key. The people cursing me wanted my whole life destroyed (over an Internet dispute). . enraged, idiotic people like that shouldn't have the keys to magic, IMHO.

I've written before about a particularly powerful binding I did, about 25 years ago now, on a man who had AIDS (and people all died horribly at that time) and was knowingly having unprotected sex.I had invited him to stay with me, many miles from his home, for a while - he had been a dear and cherished friend, but I believe the disease was affecting his brain. I felt responsible for the harm he might have caused while staying with me, the men he infected. So I bound him - and within a couple of weeks he had had a mental breakdown and was incarcerated in a (good) facility, where he began to read Buddhist texts and develop some equanimity. We spoke less frequently but we continued to connect on the phone - he died not long after, very peacefully.

I fell ill with the CFS tht has plagued me throughout my adult life, about 3 months later, out of nowhere.
So it goes.
I don't take binding, laying a geis or Goddess knows, cursing, lightly,because magic is real and what we do matters. Age, wisdom, experience can guide you to the right decision,and there are wise youths too, Old Souls who know better.But many people fling curses around on he flimsiest of rounds. The Occult attracts a lot of lunatics - we do best to stay protected and alert to their presence. I was taken by surprise over and over - never again.

Shane Parrish