Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > The Physical Temple

The Physical Temple Care and feeding of the body, nutrition, herbs and supplements, exercise, alternative healing modalities - all fit here

Old 08-15-15   #1
Sollie

Default Calf Cramp Relief

For the past couple of weeks, I've been having bad cramps on my calves and the occasionally, my things. Sometimes my feet cramp up while driving, but by and far the calf pain is the worst. Last weekend it felt like my right leg wouldn't stretch completely for 3 days, and would tense worse if I tried. This morning I woke up at 5 am to a 7 minute long painful cramp that went from toe to knee.

There are so many things online about ways to ease them, but I was hoping you guys would have methods that worked (or that didn't). I've been using Salon Pas strips (basically Icy Hot patches, but cheaper) before bed for a few months now, but it's not helping.

I will say that I am pregnant, which I know usually comes with it's own aches and pains, and I also have arthritis in my left hip (but the more frequent and intense pain comes in right calf). My pain medication is limited to Tylenol products essentially because of the pregnancy.

Thanks in advance!
Sollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15   #2
BigAl
Eclectic

Default Re: Calf Cramp Relief

Your fluid and salt balance is off, Sollie.

Most cramps are dehydration induced. Drink plenty of fluids.

If pregnancy allows, I'd be tempted to take a sachet of rehydration salts to kick start your salt balance.
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15   #3
feranaja

Leg cramps in pregnancy are not uncommon. I'm going to suggest that low iron and/or magnesium may be playing a role: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-li...y/faq-20057766

Hyrdation/electrolyte balance is always important but there can be nutritional factors.
Aviva Romm's books on women's health are the best ones I know of. http://avivaromm.com/books/the-natural-pregnancy-book

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15   #4
Sollie

BigAl: I've been drinking a lot of water, I really need to measure it better...I drink at least 16 ounces (two water bottles for sure) and several cups while at work, but I don't know how much exactly, it's possible it's still not enough. I've never heard of salt balance, I'll look into that, thanks. =)

Ferenja: It's very possible it's it's low iron, I've struggled with borderline anemia in the past. I'll check that author out, thank you!
Sollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15   #5
Skadi

Feranaja is right ... lack of magnesium
Skadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15   #6
feranaja

Potentially. In pregnancy and other cases it can also be anemia.

Shane Parrish
Old 08-16-15   #7
Nocturnal~Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollie View Post
BigAl: I've been drinking a lot of water, I really need to measure it better...I drink at least 16 ounces (two water bottles for sure) and several cups while at work, but I don't know how much exactly, it's possible it's still not enough. I've never heard of salt balance, I'll look into that, thanks. =)

Ferenja: It's very possible it's it's low iron, I've struggled with borderline anemia in the past. I'll check that author out, thank you!
Electrolytes like sodium and potassium can be off balance and cause dehydration and muscle cramps. Maybe drink a bit of smartwater (not a lot and not instead of your regular water) and see if it helps.

I had a terrible pregnancy w/my girl and just about everything that could go wrong did, lol...I remember when I had sciatica during pregnancy. Saw a PT who gave me a great set of simple exercises I could (and did) do at home. I remember sharing it w/my birthing class they were so awesome! I know that's not what you're going through, but I can tell you if it's something pregnancy related that's scary, painful, or tough, I prob have an answer, lol.
Old 08-16-15   #8
Nocturnal~Witch

Have you seen a chiropractor yet by chance? That might be a really good place to start. A lot of times you carry your weight differenty- and your center of gravity changes when pregnant and can cause problems related to legs, walking, etc. that originate from the back/posture. I carried an extra 5lbs on one entire side of my body compared to the other (my left). It made a considerable impact I would have never considered. My OB-GYN referred me to the Chiropractor and the PT.
Old 08-16-15   #9
petrus4
Leaper

Arthritis is generally caused either by hyperuricemia, or excessive protein buildup. Neither of those are desirable things. Given my experience with gout, arthritis is the one group of disorders I have had to become reasonably intimate with. They are extremely treatable, but most people don't know how to do it.

As for the cause, in my experience it's usually a combination of obesity, possible renal/bladder/prostate infection, either too much or too little water, excessively low (acidic) blood pH, and an imbalance in your sodium/potassium ratio, which is causing fluid retention that shouldn't happen.

Celery, bitter cherries, and lemon juice are usually the first three things I reach for, with a gout attack; and gout is in the arthritic family tree. Being pregnant probably means that you've got excess kapha dosha from the usual excess weight and internal fluid that will be sloshing around in your system. Try eating some warm, but not red hot, curries to dry out the excess fluid, and jump start your metabolism. Fenugreek and flax seed oil are both very good for that, as well. You should also limit or entirely suspend your intake of both alcohol and cannabis.

Long term, you're possibly going to want to lose weight; but it's also a reliable sign that you need to work on tonifying and strengthening the kidneys in particular. Arthritis family disorders are very reliable indicators of uncomfortably low kidney qi, in my experience, so you're going to want to tackle that. Find a good acupuncturist or traditional Chinese medicine practitioner in your area, if you can.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15   #10
feranaja

petrus, you are referring here to gout-related arthritis, a different disease process from osteo arthritis without gout. Both rheumatoid and gout-related arthritis bear some similarities to simple arthritis but their pathways of development and hence management differ. A great article on osteo arthritis below:

http://www.healthy.net/Health/Articl...Arthritis/1351

I'm not trained in Ayurveda so I won't comment on the ideas expressed here other than to say, you can't change your blood ph - it's a myth. Significant alteration in blood ph is a serious, even life threatening condition.

http://chriskresser.com/the-ph-myth-part-1/

I would need a lot more information to formulate suggestions for you Sollie - dietary, herbal. What is the arthritic hip related to - injury? Do you have any other health issues? Management of osteo-arthritis usually focuses n reducing inflammation and bringing nutrients/antioxidants to the afflicted area via foods and herbs, but should always include an alterative, sometimes a gentle diuretic, sometimes digestive support. What a herbalist recommends depends n a full history, which I don't have, but am happy to chat if you want to. In any case I hope the cramps are easing up!

A little more from my own teacher, the great Master Paul Bergner:
http://www.medherb.com/Therapeutics/...r.htm#_VPID_65

Shane Parrish