Go Back   EarthSong Forums > General Occult > General Occult

General Occult For general occult topics, anything from crop circles to UFOs, whatever doesn't fit elsewhere

Old 05-10-18   #1
feranaja

Default Rituals for moving on

I'm not sure this is the best title for the thread, but I wanted to re-focus my topic a bit - I am still deeply spiritually tied to the land I lived n for 12 years - which is, also, ancestral land, my grandmother was born in a house in the tiny village nearby and her family "owned every farm in the county"- I actually rented from a cousin, whose side of the family still owns much of the land around there.

I'd like to discuss the magical aspects, as I am slowly letting go of the house and area, much as I ever will be able to, on a practical level - but I close my eyes, to do Vision work and wham - there I am - I try to meditate and yep - I'm back in the forests around the house, places I built outdoor shrines and sit spots - there are days the sadness feels so severe it's like I'm in some kind of a pleasant enough Purgatory...other days it's not so bad, and I know that a good chunk of this is tied to the fact my dog daniel is now in old age and we are never going to roam those Hills as we did, in freedom and joy, and that whether it is 3 months or 2 years, he will die here, and a time of change is upon me.

So there is a huge psychological factor (I'm in second Saturn return) and that part I know I just have to live with. The magical aspects are a bit more concerning to me as I feel pretty sure I made some error, during that time of consternation and stress. Anyone around who can chat with me about those?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-18   #2
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: Rituals for moving on

I think a release ritual would hold many of the same elements of a travelling song in a situation such as this. You want to acknowledge the positive that has been given and praise those aspects. Yet you also want to cut ties to the physical energies that bind you to the physical local yet retain the spectral and otherworldy aspects that exist beyond time and space. Sort of like retain a connection to the super species and energies the breathed attachment and life into that other area via the plants and creature's found there. Yet is also the same super species and energies that energize the plants and creature's of similar groupings and family in your new local.

So the deer of the old place are the same life force and energy the filled the deer that are found at the new place. The individual has changed but the super species or spirit is still the same and that connection has not changed. The old friend is still the old friend just hiding behind a new set of eyes as it where. Yet even that is wrong for what is looking out is still the same it is only how you look in that you think has changed.

Figure the wind hasn't changed, the earth hasn't changed, close your eyes and the smells probably haven't changed outside of the house. Scents have changed to your nose but smell hasn't. The long winds still probably carry the same odors and deep smells. Push your hands into the soil and it should still smell pretty much the same. Take a bucket of soil and place it in an enclosed space for a bit and close it up and then open the area and it will have the same smell, probably similar to your old house.

That moldy fungus type earthy smell with a hint of rot and decay laced in with it. But then you become like the vampire who must retreat back into the soil of his / her grave and the ancestral grave that goes with it and binds them to the past. A soil that no longer is full of fertility and fecundity and growth but one that is more barren soil and reeks of decay, rot and spoilage. Yet the spirits, wights and our very ancestor's push us from the dying lands and into the promise of new lands in the harshest of ways.

Figure those who can not adapt are left to wither and die upon the sickening soil and be consumed by their own blight. To feed upon their own rotting corpse and upon one another as their bounty is blighted and soured and further rotted from within. From your descriptions that sounds like what was happening to your old house and the owners were hastening it along.

Yet there again is the travelling song to say goodbye to what has been and those that have crossed over. Figuring crossing over doesn't always mean into the land of the dead and shadow realms but also into the next stage and away from that which was decaying and rotting. Which is also a form of lingering death and decay.
Old 05-11-18   #3
feranaja

This is lovely and useful MonSno, thank you. I know I need to work on multiple levels and I'm ok, doing ok with the psychological (which of course has a bridge into the esoteric, too). I'm writing, making an album of the old house, my time there, and the new as well. I love the differences living in this forest over a lake;predominantly hemlock, beech, red oak, sugar maple, hornbeam. ..the old area waswhite pine, various poplars, cedar, willows, elm, paper and yellow birch.We're surrounded by sumac, and the woods are home to porcupine (a challenge to greater awareness, as a dog lover!) grouse (and I mean, everywhere) several species of owl, some deer, and lots of bear scat. It's wilder, older and less gentle than the faerie Pathways I used to walk. I am drawn less to my ancestral memory, my Celtic heritage, and more to the way of the First Nations, which again fills me with trepidation as I abhor cultural appropriation and would never want to fall into that "NA wannabe camp"... but there is some kind of a call here that is different from what I felt, living on land my ancestors had settled for over 200 years. I'm sure you know what I mean without my attempt to elucidate.

So spiritually...psychologically...I can always use wise input, but I think I'm good.I've been doing the self-awareness thing a long time now and I'm processing the loss and change fairly well, I think.
Magically,though - there are a few things. I'll try to be brief because it's a lot... I'll start by saying that I let go ONLY when the Nemeton was offered to me ( the street address is 93 and there was a unicursal hexagram made of sunlight on the wall when we arrived, I kid you not.) I went to court 3 times and endured 18 months of Hell worrying, grieving, fighting back the desire to do bad magic. That house was top to bottom, inside and out, warded, sealed, protected, there were shrines and a consecrated temple and Otherworld openings everywhere. I had to do all that to ward off the crap that had been aimed at me and through that process, my inner connection to the house ad land grew almost terrifyingly strong.

So, ok. I didn't take them all down.
My bad.

There is, for example, a Witch's bottle under the front porch, deep in the earth.

A broken mirror 3 feet down under the herb garden.

Some broken fluorites in the back garden.

A fairy opening in the North east corner, a ball of chiastolite under the hawthorns.
Honestly as I write this, the emotional anguish is just flooding. I didn't just love that place, I was basically, spiritually, born there.

So when I left I wanted to punish those who took it from me, but you know me - I won't do malicious magic, outside of a geas (and we have disagreed on that, but I still do them) and I did't really lay even that on the new occupants.

I was basically sitting on my pc working until the night we left, and then The Thing and I packed 5 cats, 3 confused dogs, an unusually circumspect parrot and an oblivious ball python into two vehicles and drove down the way- about 10 minutes - to the Nemeton.

A few nights later, The Thing was back there doing some cleaning and fixing up stuff we had broken, when he felt what he describes as the chill of pure evil. Like the darkest energy imaginable.Alex is NOT a credulous or fearful man, believe me,But he was chilled to the bone and he felt this energy behind him all night. Incredibly palpable, he said the hairs on his whole body were standing on end. And we came to the conclusion, that this was the cursing that had been aimed at me over the years, now I had taken the temple and altars and so on away, it was freed to run around looking for me. Like all that hatred had been tied up, and now was free, and it felt like it had gone insane (the wholething was insane in the first place, but then trapping it for all that time...we think made it worse). It was a truly terrifying experience for him - but, the next time he went back, it had gone.

So there is that.

Lastly - I did a thing about a year before we were evicted. I hung a clootie on a hawthorn tree out in the fields behind us and prayed that the poisoning of the land would stop. It broke my heart every year to encounter the areas where this idiot farmer had killed huge stands of mullein, St.John's Wort, Solomon's Seal - ironically so many plants that could have helped his awful arthritis. As my connection to the land deepened I found it harder and harder to tolerate the spraying. I ritually hung that clootie, and the next year, the person taking over the area is going to raise organic beef and so HAS to put a stop to the herbicides.
And if that was my sacrifice, to restore the balance. ...so be it.

So, with all of this info, I guess it seems fated I had to go. Partially because so much of the cursing was aimed at my home...partly because I prayed for help on behalf of the land and those prayers were heard.
So maybe it's just a matter of internally closing the gates and letting go.

Certainly the land here has been gentle with me, every day I speak to the trees and spirits and I tell them I need time to grow into this change.

My whole thought is that I'm not sure magically what to do, I mean yes, a letting-go ritual, but if you could get a sense of the efficacy of the clootie, I'd know more and I am anything but objective, under the circumstances. If the move was related to my prayer for and restoration I can make peace with that.

And if you got this far - thank you! I have nobody "IRL" to discuss magic with, and this is a very intense issue for me. I appreciate even just the opportunity to express some of it.
xx
fera

Shane Parrish
Old 05-11-18   #4
The Troll

As someone with some native blood (I am a Mexican after all) I will say this- sometimes we over think things, magically. My ancestors used to rip the hearts out of thousands of people a year to keep the sun in the sky, but it turned out, we didn't even have to. Color me embarrassed! Just saying, not everything HAS to be ritualized, and sometimes changes are better not ritualized. Now excuse me, I'm going to drink a Corona.

Sincerely ,

the Russian bot, aka, the Troll
The Troll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-18   #5
feranaja

Holy shit - I'm actually drinking a Corona right this very minute.
No really, I had the worst hangover this morning so yep. hair of the dog and all that.

Shane Parrish
Old 05-11-18   #6
The Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
Holy shit - I'm actually drinking a Corona right this very minute.
No really, I had the worst hangover this morning so yep. hair of the dog and all that.
Pfft. Just because I'm Mexican doesn't mean I'm not psychic. White people.

Sincerely ,

Old 05-11-18   #7
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Hemlock, that's a purification tree. If I recall correctly it's also located in the northern quadrant of the circle and used as a smoke tree for sweeping out bad or unsettled energy. While not the exact "Hemlock" that is associated with Hekate it has by name association become associated as a sacred plant to her in the form of its small pine cones. It's also a minor toxic plant, in its bark it I recall correctly but don't quote me on that been some time since I messed with that aspect. But does make for a shrine or altar mat fixture for her as an aromatic scent. Not quite up to par with Cedar, not as bitter in smell. Does give off sort of the same silty smoke though when burnt if green or rapid crackle burn if dried and a puffy smoke. If I recall correctly has flat needles so will not roll under your fingers.

Just a though that occurred to me. Will come back to this later.
Old 05-11-18   #8
The Troll

I heard of a ritual but it's pretty dark. It involves oils, wearing only a Dracula cape, and frantically chanting/screaming the same 2 syllable word over and over until you're whipped into a frenzy

Sincerely ,

Old 05-11-18   #9
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Ok to return to this.

You said you hung a clootie but where was the Holy Well / Spring? My understanding is the cloth has to be dipped in the clootie well and the strip of cloth is then tied to a tree as part of the healing ritual. That's why the cloth is sacred or magical because of the clootie well, though in Scotland a strip of cloth or rag is a clootie. Though I also think one can rub it upon their body at an ill spot then leave the cloth to hang till it dissolves and the illness will be gone.

Then one might circle the well or make offerings to the spirits of the land, spirits of the well or even the gods as they dip the cootie into the waters. Perhaps me, but in some ways sort of reminds me of the idea of "Walking the Grail" at Glastonbury. Then the Chalice well I think it was where they would draw water.

I am curious as to what aspect of the Hawthorn you called upon to assist the Clootie in its function? I'd think Health, Fertility and maybe Protection yet since there is a strong death aspect present and Hawthorn is strongly associated with death I wonder if it wouldn't enhance that aspect. Figure purification via the clootie and protection would be present yet death is a purification and protection that is present in the Hawthorn's natural presence and association. The fae association with the tree ties into the other realms and liminal zones which crosses into barriers and junctures. Life and death is a juncture that is different between those barriers of their dimension and ours. The clootie also potentially crosses into that juncture, if one goes back to the juncture of elemential barriers of water and air or water and earth.

Ironically or strangely crossing into that Arthurian idea of the King and the Land are one concept. As long as the King is strong the land is strong and healthy, yet if the King is ill and sickly then the Land is ill and sickly. Which potentially could cross back into the idea of walking the grail or walking the proper course or ring about the well and saying the right words.

You were talking about staring into the mouth or face of the beast who snarled and pawed at the gate. It's insane stance and pace held in check by barriers and enchantments placed to hold it at bay. Yet how insane does the watcher become as they stand guard keeping their post forever tense? A reflection of the insanity reflected upon their own reflection that is starring back at them. A prisoner within their own guard tower! Even once they have left their guard duties for how long do they continue to see the beastly foe staring back at them waiting to charge forward?
Old 05-12-18   #10
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
Ok to return to this.

You said you hung a clootie but where was the Holy Well / Spring? My understanding is the cloth has to be dipped in the clootie well and the strip of cloth is then tied to a tree as part of the healing ritual. That's why the cloth is sacred or magical because of the clootie well, though in Scotland a strip of cloth or rag is a clootie. Though I also think one can rub it upon their body at an ill spot then leave the cloth to hang till it dissolves and the illness will be gone.

Right. So I am using the term perhaps more loosely than you would; a cloth cut from a garment that held power for me, was dipped ritually in a naturally occurring spring on ancestral land, again, sacred to me, and tied to the hawthorn with express intention.
There was no question this rite held power, whatever you want to call it.

Quote:
curious as to what aspect of the Hawthorn you called upon to assist the Clootie in its function? I'd think Health, Fertility and maybe Protection yet since there is a strong death aspect present and Hawthorn is strongly associated with death I wonder if it wouldn't enhance that aspect. Figure purification via the clootie and protection would be present yet death is a purification and protection that is present in the Hawthorn's natural presence and association. The fae association with the tree ties into the other realms and liminal zones which crosses into barriers and junctures. Life and death is a juncture that is different between those barriers of their dimension and ours. The clootie also potentially crosses into that juncture, if one goes back to the juncture of elemential barriers of water and air or water and earth.
I called on the Protection aspect.

Quote:
You were talking about staring into the mouth or face of the beast who snarled and pawed at the gate. It's insane stance and pace held in check by barriers and enchantments placed to hold it at bay. Yet how insane does the watcher become as they stand guard keeping their post forever tense? A reflection of the insanity reflected upon their own reflection that is starring back at them. A prisoner within their own guard tower! Even once they have left their guard duties for how long do they continue to see the beastly foe staring back at them waiting to charge forward?

It's certainly true that all the magic I had to do, to keep those vile curses at bay, cost me in many ways.I wouldn't go so far as t say "insane". I definitely think I kept the upper hand although there was a constant tension there because of it. I still feel the longterm effects of one of the curses (if not nor, there were so many throw my way) but I don't think it' made me insane. I do however, think it has made a better, stronger Witch of me.Not only in skill with magic, but in avoiding such conflicts n the first place.

Shane Parrish