Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > The Magic of Scent

The Magic of Scent Using oils and incense, fragrance in general in magical workings and healing

Old 05-26-10   #1
feranaja

Default Personal Oil blends and favorites

I just started working on my own favorite self healing oil blend, something I started making back in my Occult Shop days, and have used magically with so much success since then. i cannot find ANY woodroffe this year, and i'm stuck on no substitutes, so I may need to develop Self Heal Number Two about now. I am not ill, thankfully, but I love the smell of this stuff so much I make it up to use on candles anyway, or a dab on the wrist here and there.
Four of the five ingredients in my Self Heal Number One are;

woodroffe
clover
self heal (prunella vulgaris blossoms)
balm of gilead ( balsam poplar buds)

I love making oil blends for so many things - candle anointing, personal wear, gifts for the gods at various times and tides. In this thread I thought we could share some of our favorites, recipes we love, and if its very personal, like mine above is, just leave one ingredient out and let others make it their own.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10   #2
HetHert
In and Out

Default Re: Personal Oil blends and favorites

The hubby and I really enjoy making oil blends as well! There is something so satisfying about coming up with a really great scent. It's like making music with smells.

I'll post a few that we've created when I get home to the recipe book.

HetHert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10   #3
Ravenbear
Educated Redneck Injun

The wife makes oils, and they are great, I do not know the formulas though..

Heaven is a place where, when you get there, all the dogs you ever loved come running out to greet you.

Yes, I have Indian blood in me, and just enough white blood for you to question my honesty..
-Will Rogers as the Cherokee Kid

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.' -Nietzsche

"A dog is not almost-human, and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
- John Holmes

Forgive me Father, for I am a Warrior, for I can never forget.- Over heard in the dark and heat of an Iraqis night.

Ravenbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-10   #4
sleepycat
of the Bite My Ass Clan

Just for a personal scent, I like:
sandalwood
cedar
lemon
ylang-ylang

You have to get the ratios right, or it does not smell good; most commercial scents do not mix well with my body chemistry.
Old 05-26-10   #5
BlaiseC

I love the idea of making my own oils but herbs tend to be so expensive buying the off the internet. I don't trust my local shop to have or and in the quality best for oils. That and I'm not exactly positive what so many things smell like so it could easily be wasted money.
Old 05-29-10   #6
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I wear a blend by Aveda, energizing composition it has lavender, jasmine, sage and rose, I love, love love it .
I also wear Buddhist temple, I can't find it anymore, it has cedar, sandalwood, and sage..I think.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-10   #7
moonbride
I'm just me.

Omg this reminds me of this oil I used to wear from a company called Arcana and it was their Avalon blend. It was the most heavenly scent but I think I read that they discontinued that one. I was heartbroken! I used to wear that daily for the longest time.

"That which derives from our native folk tradition springs up like water from the soil,
made alive by the good brown earth and fresh with the breath of herb and tree;
it springs, it sparkles. It vitalizes a man's nature because it puts him in touch with the sun-warmed rain-wet earth
-- his native earth, that his bare feet trod as a child when his soul was open and he still could feel the unseen."
~ Dion Fortune

moonbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10   #8
feranaja

mb, I used to use this one scent when I first started ritual work..it was, in retrospect, quite horrible, but I have such incredible associations - every time I catch a whiff of it, I am transported through time. Those early days have such power, don;t they? Unfortunately that one was discontinued as well - but I kept a tiny bottle, and although I rarely use it, there are occasions where nothing else will do.

I would love to develop an avalon blend - shall we put out heads together?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10   #9
moonbride
I'm just me.

I would love to. If I had known it was to be discontinued I would have stockpiled! LOL
I certainly have enough oils here to play with and see what I come up with. I'm thinking, though, that there was definitely some synthetic apple scent in that one as well as EO's.

"That which derives from our native folk tradition springs up like water from the soil,
made alive by the good brown earth and fresh with the breath of herb and tree;
it springs, it sparkles. It vitalizes a man's nature because it puts him in touch with the sun-warmed rain-wet earth
-- his native earth, that his bare feet trod as a child when his soul was open and he still could feel the unseen."
~ Dion Fortune

moonbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-10   #10
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I do tend to stockpile now if I find something I like.. Aveda had a perfume called Gaia, I love it, I found it on e-bay and bought as many as I could ...I only wear it sparingly...

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote