Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Song of the Earth > The Physical Temple

The Physical Temple Care and feeding of the body, nutrition, herbs and supplements, exercise, alternative healing modalities - all fit here

Old 11-22-10   #1
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Default the "try a new food for health reasons" thread

I've been looking for some new fruit with a low glycaemic index, as I recently discovered bananas are quite high. I bought my first plum at the ripe old age of 30 something (ahem) and was surprised to find it was absolutely delicious it reminded me of an apple a little bit, in taste.

Anybody else trying a new piece/type of food for health reasons? Feel free to post something here and let us know how you got on

~Rumi

green aventurine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10   #2
petrus4
Leaper

Default Re: the "try a new food for health reasons" thread

Although they're not new to me now, it wasn't that long ago that I ate lentils for the first time; a few years.

Another type of food which most non-vegetarians probably aren't familiar with, is quinoa. It's a grain; basically millet, without the potential for thyroid deficiency.

Then there's tempeh, which is fermented soy; my first exposure to that was probably three years ago, but I love it now as well. I've probably only drunk green tea for about that long, too.

Even if you don't want to become vegetarian, I've tended to observe that investigating vegetarian cuisine, usually means that mainstream omnivores encounter vegetables which they have never eaten or heard of before; so even if you're an avowed meat eater, taking a look at some vegetarian recipes can still be a good thing to do, as it will likely result in some positive additions to your existing diet, which can still be eaten in conjunction with meat.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10   #3
feranaja

Quinoa is something I eat 2-3 times a week since I gave up meat; it`s incredibly healthy (and it`s not a grain either, I avoid all grains other then rice) like buckwheat, it`s a super nutritious seed. No gluten!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinoa

I try to get organic walnuts, pumpkin seeds, avocado and pomegranate into myself regularly, along with dark leafy greens, organic garlic, coconut oil, white tea (disgusting but so good for us) and whole fat, organic yogurt. I don`t do much soy but when I do, fermented is the way to go.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-10   #4
Fangz
Pure Feline Pagan

Quote:
Originally Posted by green aventurine View Post
I've been looking for some new fruit with a low glycaemic index<snip>
The glycemic index is calculated based on a fasting test of the target item. When foods are combined, the effective index can be lowered. If you enjoy a certain fruit, it can be combined with other foods to lower carb load on your body.

Sadly, I know of no way to calculate the actual reduction, but people on a keto diet with use this fact to allow themselves an occasional treat. Since they are using keto sticks to make sure they stay in ketosis, I'm inclined to accept this data.

Fangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-10   #5
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fangz View Post
If you enjoy a certain fruit, it can be combined with other foods to lower carb load on your body.
yeah, that would be the way to go IMO, if I really wanted to eat bananas and what I have found recommended in nutrition books

~Rumi

Old 11-23-10   #6
ChefWitch
Kitchen Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrus4 View Post
Even if you don't want to become vegetarian, I've tended to observe that investigating vegetarian cuisine, usually means that mainstream omnivores encounter vegetables which they have never eaten or heard of before; so even if you're an avowed meat eater, taking a look at some vegetarian recipes can still be a good thing to do, as it will likely result in some positive additions to your existing diet, which can still be eaten in conjunction with meat.
Not true. Not by a long shot unless you're a chest thumping caveman who doesn't eat any vegetables at all. In today's food world you can get ingredients now that 20 years ago you wouldn't have imagined existed. Being a meat eater does not mean we're not healthy and exposed to and seek out exotic food ingredients; on the contrary, the world of food has broadened so much that depending on where you live you can get almost anything. I can buy a dragonfruit and then go to the next aisle and buy a pound of frozen molikiya. People in general (not just vegetarians) are becoming more adventurous in their eating and being a vegetarian does not make you a healthier/better eater, nor does it make you more knowledgeable about food.

Last edited by ChefWitch; 11-23-10 at 05:18 PM.
ChefWitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10   #7
Silvercloud

I brought and ate my first Chickpea recently. My Mum has just been diagnosed with Diabetes and as her mum had it before her, so on, I can no longer deny it runs in the family. I tried chickpeas in a diabetic recipe. I dreaded tasting them thinking they'd be horrible, but they are amazing. I love them and add them to most dishes now

Yeay for chickpeas x
Silvercloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10   #8
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvercloud View Post

Yeay for chickpeas x
for chickpeas!

I bought my first white grapefruit today!

~Rumi

Old 11-24-10   #9
feranaja

gotta watch that grapefruit, ga. I never touch the stuff.

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/hl-vs/iyh-vsv...mousse-eng.php

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-10   #10
green aventurine
mad genius of cuteness

looks like I'll never get to find out what it tastes like nor a tangello, whatever that is lol

~Rumi