Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Rune Magic

Old 04-27-10   #11
Toki Wartooth
Custom Title I Can Has

Default Re: Runic Reiki

One of my teachers uses runes for healing, though she doesn't call it Reiki. She puts the rune (typically uruz) on the area, and sometimes she also focuses on taking it out of the person and sending it out into the Universe and/or the Earth.

I see runes as inherently existing in a few of the Reiki symbols, to be honest...I've found sowilo, laguz, uruz, naudiz...perhaps a couple more. I've also used runes in Reiki itself, as symbols by themselves, since they're symbols that have meaning and power to me.

I've not come across anyone who's claimed that using runes in Reiki is some kind of "ancient Viking practice," lol, which is probably a good thing. My one teacher says that's just a method she uses, and my Reiki teacher just encourages us to use symbols that come to us and that have meaning and power...but he's never argued that any usage of these symbols were part of the Traditional Usui Method, or whatever.
Old 04-27-10   #12
Nacken

I've known about that site and information for maybe 2 years. The symbols do give off different kinds of energy and I have found them useful from time to time. I don't know that I would call them runes, except in the broadest sense, but they work well enough. I use the sealing symbols sometimes to empower then seal in energy into charms and amulets sometimes. They seem to be the most useful to me.
Nacken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10   #13
Arvodd

Somewhere,I have a list of most of the cultural varient names for ki (chi,ka,the force etc). The difference between ki and ond is precisely nothing! So there is no real reason for a reiki master to not use the runes as a focus.
Arvodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-10   #14
Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvodd View Post
Somewhere,I have a list of most of the cultural varient names for ki (chi,ka,the force etc). The difference between ki and ond is precisely nothing! So there is no real reason for a reiki master to not use the runes as a focus.
Except that the differences between chi and ond are everything, as there is little cultural similarity at all.
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10   #15
Arvodd

I think I'm going to have to disagree with you there on a practical level, at least. Although the cultural differences may be huge, the base definition of all is an energy that permeates everything, give life etc, and may be channelled. Therefore on a practical level, no difference.
From your previous post, you seem to be more of a scholar than myself, but having worked with both, I can feel no difference. I'm happy to be educated though;-)
Arvodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-10   #16
Rick

On a practical level, pond water and ocean water seem the same, but the fish found therein wouldn't agree. A kitchen blender can be used to tumble stones (and I REALLY don't recommend doing so, and don't ask how I know ), but that doesn't change it into a rock tumbler.

Elsewhere in this forum, I've described runes as operating like different positions on a radio dial. It is my experience that runes, at least for the most part, tune into a different section of the receiver than reiki, Uruz maybe being the notable exception; some others, Kenaz, Laguz, Sowilo, Eihwaz, a few others, will strengthen Uruz's 'reception,' or fine-tune it to be application-specific (ie: for back pain rather than depression).

Runes work just fine by themselves for healing. Runesters have been using them to this end for a few thousand years. It's somewhat strange that runes can be used to enhance other systems (adding runes to tarot readings, using runic symbolism in reiki practices, tossing in a rune here and there in a wide variety of magical spells), but reversing the process really doesn't do much anything to enhance the runes.

Simply stated for the record, I am a third degree Usui Shiki Ryoho reiki practioner (I don't like the term reiki master any better than I like the term rune master... I'm not at all humble , I just think such titles imply that there's nothing left to learn).
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote