Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Practical Magic

Practical Magic A forum for sharing techniques of practical magic

Old 01-03-12   #11
DonelleBeira

Default Re: Witchcraft From the Ground Up

And Ben just completed a great Wicca 101 course here. The info is still available if you'd like to check it out, Ranokin.

EDITED TO ADD -

Here is the link to Ben's course -

http://www.earthsongforums.com/forum...play.php?f=166

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams

Last edited by DonelleBeira; 01-03-12 at 11:24 AM.
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12   #12
feranaja

I just linked to the course, is it not visible for you guys?

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-12   #13
DonelleBeira

Yes, I can see it. Dose my previous post sound as if it isn't visible?

I edited that post to include the link....hope that helps if it was confusing....MORE COFFEE!!!

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12   #14
Ranokin

Faranaja: Thank you, but I'm not really interested in Wicca in its entirety. I am interested in magic though, for which I have an insatiable curiosity.
“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.” ― Jim Butcher
I Want To Believe
Ranokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-12   #15
feranaja

I think you might find, magic is something to be learned over a lifetime,and from all kinds of teachers. Ben is a GREAT one. One can learn a great deal from a true Wiccan initiate - and magic is about many things - if you limit your learning to just one kind of magic, your knowledge will be...limited.

I've learned some of the most powerful aspects of my own magic from Jesus, and from Peter Carroll. Strange bedfellows, huh. but what makes me strong came from many sources. To understand balance, study nutrition and painting, sculpture, architecture. To comprehend self mastery, practise yoga. The keys are all around us and available to anyone who can see them.

I know you're just starting out and that a focus is a good idea...but bear in mind, the more one reads from all sources, the greater one's knowledge, which is one aspect of the Art. Magic itself is simply a set of techniques; it's the wisdom, knowledge, experience, depth of the one wielding those techniques that brings power to it. You can and should learn from everyone.

Shane Parrish
Old 01-04-12   #16
Ranokin

I understand that limiting myself to a single teacher is probably not the best idea, and this is certainly not something I wish to do. I'm just trying to not repeat the same mistakes I've made before. Every teacher seems to contradict the other about something, and learning from many at the same time creates a mash of things that may or may not be interchangeable.
My previous experiences with learning magic have been pretty terrible thanks to this, combined with the overall unreliability of many things I find on the internet.
Since then I've decided to take more of a systematic approach to magical practice.
I beleive that to a beginner, finding a basic system of practice that works is paramount before branching off to different teachings. Once they have a system, they can take tidbits from other branches and add it to their own, improving it and building their wealth of knowledge. Otherwise, they might end up with shattered system composed of various dubious arts from multiple teachers that doesn't work at all together, despite all the students efforts. This is exactly what happened to me the first time, and the frustration almost lead to me giving up altogether.

I will be more than happy to learn from anyone who is willing to teach once I have a system down. But newcomers are the most vulnerable to misinformation, as they lack a means to actually test it (I am not accusing anyone here of spreading misinformation). I am familiar with the basic teachings of Wicca, and I don't think it will provide a good base system for me, with the main reason being I have no interest whatsoever in relying on a god or gods to practice magic.

I accept that as I am a newcomer, I am probably much more ignorant than I realize when it comes to these subjects. Please correct what you feel I have wrong.
“Evil isn’t the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as Evil, maybe more so, and it’s a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against Stupid. That might actually make a difference.” ― Jim Butcher
I Want To Believe
Ranokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-12   #17
feranaja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranokin View Post
I understand that limiting myself to a single teacher is probably not the best idea, and this is certainly not something I wish to do.
Actually, I think if you had a single TEACHER - you'd be doing allright. A good teacher is able to guide you on all the levels and will encourage a wide range of study. I agree, it's important in the absence of a teacher to help you focus and isolate the core elements within various traditions, that you act as your own teacher as best you can - and read widely.

Quote:
I'm just trying to not repeat the same mistakes I've made before. Every teacher seems to contradict the other about something, and learning from many at the same time creates a mash of things that may or may not be interchangeable.
My previous experiences with learning magic have been pretty terrible thanks to this, combined with the overall unreliability of many things I find on the internet.
Ok - when you say "teacher" you're not talking about apprenticing with an Elder - you mean reading different approaches. Ok, yes that can be a minefield allright. In any topic, not *just* magic. I hope we can be of some assistance to you, feel free to ask whatever you're looking for and we'll do our best to hep.

FWIW< I was self taught up to a certain point, and it had some limitations, although I am a good student and learned a great deal on my own, there is no substitute for the structure of a course or the input of a true adept teaching you. And while I know it can be a struggle to find a true Elder-- who is willing and able to teach you personally! there are a plethora of good courses available, many distance courses, depending on what aspect of magic you are looking into. What helped me to grow was the process of studying (Golden Dawn magic, initially) along with my forays and ventures into other aspects of magic. Perhaps a good online course, or if you're fortunate, a local temple or coven can be found?

Quote:
Since then I've decided to take more of a systematic approach to magical practice.
I beleive that to a beginner, finding a basic system of practice that works is paramount before branching off to different teachings. Once they have a system, they can take tidbits from other branches and add it to their own, improving it and building their wealth of knowledge. Otherwise, they might end up with shattered system composed of various dubious arts from multiple teachers that doesn't work at all together, despite all the students efforts. This is exactly what happened to me the first time, and the frustration almost lead to me giving up altogether.
This makes very good sense - and you know, Ranokin, that process itself was part of the Trial and Test. You seem to have passed through and persevered - wish I could say this next part will be easier, but I've found every level gets harder in some ways. <g> Congratulations on getting to where you are now, and here's to the next level. Enjoy!

Quote:
I will be more than happy to learn from anyone who is willing to teach once I have a system down. But newcomers are the most vulnerable to misinformation, as they lack a means to actually test it (I am not accusing anyone here of spreading misinformation). I am familiar with the basic teachings of Wicca, and I don't think it will provide a good base system for me, with the main reason being I have no interest whatsoever in relying on a god or gods to practice magic.
Ah - well that narrows it down.

Quote:
I accept that as I am a newcomer, I am probably much more ignorant than I realize when it comes to these subjects. Please correct what you feel I have wrong.
I don't really see any of this as "wrong" - just a discussion, you're finding your way, and sharing/discussing/asking for information or guidance is important, at every level. I may have been at this for a while, but I have peers I consult in times of uncertainty or simply to share ideas with, of course. Community is important even though this path at heart is very solitary. If you have any questions I hope you feel comfortable asking, you will get a range of ideas at ESF, we have many experienced practitioners and we're always willing to help.
fera

Shane Parrish