Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Everyday Life > The Gardening Forum

The Gardening Forum Indoor and outdoor gardening - vegetables, fruit, herbs, flowers - any topic related to growing, using, preserving plants

Old 11-24-12   #11
StoneSeer

Default Re: Here's an idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumWolf View Post
You've given me an idea...
My nearest supermarket (an 80 mile round trip) sells plants that are often neglected because no-one buys them (except me!). I'm going to ask if they can donate them freely to my school instead of throwing them out. That way, my pupils can learn to propagate from them and they don't go to waste.
Go for it!

Visit me at http://tarotkristy.com/

"Evolution is a tightly coupled dance, with life and the material environment as partners. From the dance emerges the entity Gaia." - James Lovelock
StoneSeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12   #12
DonelleBeira

Ok, now, ya'll stay away from my house! Those fading plants are out there because of the fire ants in the pots. If I bring them in, the ants will be in the bed tonite! I pulled up my Rosemary, washed his roots, and repotted to bring him in but still got ants. Soooo, any ideas of how to get rid of the ants without using poison so the plants can come in? I would love to keep my herbs over the winter inside.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
Spoken by Aditu, a Sithi (an Elf)
from "To Green Angel Tower II"
by Tad Williams
DonelleBeira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12   #13
StoneSeer

Here are a few little tricks you could try;

1. Sprinkle baby powder around your plants. Ants dislike baby powder's strong smell and will stay away from it.

2. Pour cornmeal around your plants. Ants will eat cornmeal, but they are unable to digest it. The cornmeal will expand inside their stomachs, effectively killing them. Cornmeal will not harm your plants; it will merely get rid of the ants.

3. Fill small containers with Borax. Mix a bit of sugar into the Borax to attract ants. The ants will eat the mixture, and it will kill them. You can find Borax, also known as hydrated sodium borate, in most home and garden stores.

4. Distribute black pepper around your plants. Ants will not cross black pepper, so aim to sprinkle it across their trails.

5. Mix equal parts vinegar and water in a spray bottle. Spray the solution around the perimeter of your plants. Ants dislike vinegar's acidity and will stay away from it.

"Evolution is a tightly coupled dance, with life and the material environment as partners. From the dance emerges the entity Gaia." - James Lovelock
Old 11-25-12   #14
DonelleBeira

I've done all of these plus cinnamon with the exception of the borax. With animals around I'm not comfortable using that (I have a couple that will eat anything, literally, that doesn't eat them first). None of these measures fazes the ants one little bit.

I use the vinegar in boiling water to pour on the nests as well and that does help. They will eventually move somewhere else, especially if I can get to the nursery. All the little ant bodies they haul up and pile around the edges make me feel pretty rotten but it has to be done to protect us. Tobacco will make them move as well but hasn't kept them out of the potted plants.

"Remember these moments always, but do not ignore the sad times, either. Memory is the greatest of gifts."
by Tad Williams
Old 11-25-12   #15
StoneSeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the seeker View Post
I've done all of these plus cinnamon with the exception of the borax. With animals around I'm not comfortable using that (I have a couple that will eat anything, literally, that doesn't eat them first). None of these measures fazes the ants one little bit.

I use the vinegar in boiling water to pour on the nests as well and that does help. They will eventually move somewhere else, especially if I can get to the nursery. All the little ant bodies they haul up and pile around the edges make me feel pretty rotten but it has to be done to protect us. Tobacco will make them move as well but hasn't kept them out of the potted plants.
Poor little guys. I'll do some research on it for you, my grandmothers sort of an expert on things like this.

Old 02-15-13   #16
HRH
Just me

I plant peppermint around my garden. Bugs hate it, and it protects the other plants, plus I use A LOT of peppermint, anyway. It is very invasive, so you have to be careful where you plant it, if you want a neat yard. I am partial to controlled chaos, so it doesn't bother me, and it is the absolute best remedy I've found for ants.

I'm with you on the "save the plants" crusade. Last year, I bought about twenty plants I didn't need, because I happened to be in the store when they were being tossed. I couldn't stand it. I'm constantly tending to my family's plants, just because I can't stand to see them being treated like that. But most people tell me I'm crazy...
HRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13   #17
DonelleBeira

Peppermint....interesting and one I haven't heard of before! Thanks, H!

by Tad Williams
Old 02-17-13   #18
BigAl
Eclectic

lol You too HRH?!? I'm always coming back with "dead" plants that just need a bit of TLC...
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-13   #19
LarkWahya
Mystic Mouse

my problem is i have a green thumb but my mommy doesnt, shes done ok with the bamboo but they dont need much care; she managed to kill my aloe plant so bad though he bled red, i was so sad he had gotten so big too in just a few months, i miss him. but i couldnt help him any cuz i was at school and mom didnt go for the whole talk to him over the phone thing. now im trying to rescue her hens and chics >.<

i love plants though pepermint and lemon grass are some of my favorites i need to get an apartment though before i can plant any, or invest in some hanging baskets to keep the dog out of them

Do you think amethysts could be the souls of good violets? ~Anne of Green Gables
Green is the primary color of the world
LarkWahya is offline   Reply With Quote