Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Rune Magic

Old 08-23-09   #11
Daedralord

Default Re: Rune spells and bindrunes

There are some neat commentaries on the Galdrabok I found that does analyze those complex spells and breaks them down. I can send that to you if you are interested. I am still studying it myself those complex spells fascinate me especially the super-binds. So I will post here if I do some experiments with it or want to try something new with it.
Old 08-23-09   #12
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

Let me have a quick skim through it first and I'll get back to you. I'm very rusty on the old bind-runes

everything happens for a reason

everything happens for a reason

Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09   #13
Cran'Thun
My little buttercup

I hope you don't mind too much but I have a semi off-topic question.

This thread interests me a lot because I have a little bit of experience with runes but I have never used them magically, I also have never even thought of the bind rune idea (never heard of it either). I am very interested in runes though and I am planning to start studying them as thoroughly as possible.

My question though is can the same principle in a bind rune be applied to sigils? Seeing as they are practically the same thing I assume it is possible but when one creates a bind rune how would one go about combining the different runes that make up a bind rune? I would assume that the same idea would go for doing the same with sigils.
Cran'Thun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-09   #14
Daedralord

I don't like seeing runes as merely phonetic alphabet symbols. I consider each glyph a holy symbol standing for some form of energy or power. So in that case they are merged in bindrunes to combine their powers and their underlying "energy" rather than using them as a phonetic phrase. I think they are intended as symbolic and magical more than merely a form of writing and the Edda's actually confirm this usage more. When they are written in the Edda's and Saga's they release magical forces and are not merely alphabetic signs in those cases. Yet the historical uses of runes by runemasters show that sometimes phonetic systems were combined with the symbolic systems anyway. So they can be used both ways. Especially powerful if the runes form an ancient word of power and the runes and the word both reinforces the intent.

Basically a bindrune is made like a sigil where the letters are merged in an aesthetically pleasing form. Though there are sometimes guides on more complex forms and an underlying mystical reason for placing runes in a certain way or on a certain part of the figure.

Where this does differ from sigils is that runes already carry a meaning in themselves and according to myth they had to exist as primal energies even before creation and their energies played a role in creation itself. So runes are already powerful symbols in themselves and that is where it differes from regular sigil work with the Latin letters.

Hope that helps a bit...
Old 08-26-09   #15
Cran'Thun
My little buttercup

That helps a lot thanks Daedralord! It answers a couple of questions I had.
Cran'Thun is offline   Reply With Quote