Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Rune Magic

Old 10-15-09   #1
Daedralord

Default Rune healing

This spell can be used in a pinch to give strength to a person suffering from any disease. It will help them recover. This is a quick healing though utilizing candle magic. Depending on severity of the disease you may need to repeat the spell or try using the runes and other healing magic in another approach.

Find a candle in a colour that represents healing and wholeness to you. White may do in a pinch. Red to give energy and vitality. Green can be used as a good healer too.

Cast your circle/banish whatever. Have the candle, a holder, and a knife to carve the candle with on hand.

There are several runes that could work well for healing. Uruz, Sowillo, Kenaz, Laguz, Jera, Ull and a few others as well, Berkano is sometimes mentioned as a healer especially related to birth. Fehu with Uruz also brings healing.

Laguz can be used in places where you need to "cleanse" the system. Remember Laguz is the power of water, another name for Laguz is Laukaz, the power of the leek and the great restorative powers of plants like garlic and onion. Laguz brings vitality.

Ull, though not part of a rune row is a powerful healer and one of the runes of which the primary meaning is healing.

For a general healer. Let us go with Uruz, bringer of strength and vitality.

Laguz. Gentle growth and removal of toxins. Strenghtens vitality.

Sowillo, the life giving sun. The powers of regeneration. Counters all powers of deterioration.

Kenaz. The younger Futhark version has the rune name of "boil" or "sore". Kenaz has regenerative powers. The power of transformation.

For safety and simplicity let us go with these four since I have seen them used in plenty of other healing spells. This spell is a general healer and strenghtener so other runes may be more useful for some conditions.

Personally, I find it helpful to include a rune to represent the area to be affected for healing. Eg. I would say Ansuz would heal the throat, mouth, respitory functions. As a rune of Air and mouth. See the rune chakra thread for some ideas on this.

The circle is cast. So carve Uruz, Laguz, Sowillo and Kenaz onto the candle. Sing the rune name or galdr as you do the carving. Place the candle in the holder and light it. Here is what I like to do optionally. Trace the rune in the air, flaming red above the candle. Say a short statement as to what the rune is to do. eg. "Uruz, bring strength and vitality to N." See the rune flow into the candle and the rune glowing brightly. Repeat for each rune.

Keep singing the names visualize your target in full health and happiness. You may want to place a photo or other link under the candle for this as well.

For best effect add a bit of power to the candle and spell each day. Lighting it and singing the runes. Nine consecutive days during the appropriate moon phase is a pretty powerful. Otherwise leave the candle to burn itself out.
Old 10-15-09   #2
Daedralord

Default Re: Rune healing

Forgot:

If you want to make a bindrune you can do so and also carve it on the candle. Though I have sometimes found this difficult on certain candles. You could write it on a piece of paper and place it under the candle of course. Burn it later.
Old 10-15-09   #3
Eretik

Daedralord,I'm sorry to interject,but I would not use Kaunaz [Ken] with red or with open flame,not for physical sickness anyway.It is a most creative of Runes but it is the fever of the need fire and it burns in the mind.It can cause the divine madness that births genius.Not a good one to use with a sick person,especially if the ailment is capable of giving fever symptoms.I wouldn't put it with Sowilo for this purpose either.Be cautious with this one.
Old 10-15-09   #4
Daedralord

Thank you Eretik. I was wondering about Kenaz myself in this regard. Since I have seen it used by others in healing spells in this combination. Perhaps another rune could work better here. Perhaps Ull or Jera.
Old 10-15-09   #5
Eretik

Yes.I think so too.I 'm pondering,I usually tailor the Runes to the specific need at the time,something a little more kind,hmm...maybe Algiz,but I would use Algiz more with spiritual or mental ailments,though, in combination with the other Runes you've spoken of here it could work well.What do you think?

I need to think for a bit on it.You are challenging me here,it feels good to give thought and heart to this subject again.
Old 10-15-09   #6
Daedralord

Algiz/Elhaz could work of course. It adds that protective quality to the whole mix. Something that may actually be helpful to the sick. I also agree Algiz would be one of the possibilities I look for more to tailor the magic to something specific like you mentioned the mental ailments. I do like the power and feel of Ull and I have used it myself a few times. Though it is technically not part of a rune row. I do find it a powerful sign. It will add in well to the meaning and the healing of the other signs, I believe.

Thank you Eretik. It is great to discuss and ponder these things . Sometimes it is so easy to lump runes together and the particular runes may just not combine well together at all. That is a rather tricky aspect of rune magic to me sometimes.
Old 10-15-09   #7
Eretik

I learned that the hard way.I've mucked up in the past.It's how you learn and grow with them that matters most.

Ull makes me think of Ullr,the shining one,the Yew bow and the Northstar.If so,I like this one for healing and I think it's a good choice.

Can you give me a reference for Ull?
Old 10-15-09   #8
Daedralord

I came across Ull from the writings of Nigel Pennick mostly. It is associated with Ullr but also more the Frisian god Waldh who has associations with Ullr. Waldh was a forest deity also associated with healing.

Pennick lists this rune with several other runes that were never part of any rune row. Erda, Sol, Wolfsangel, Ziu. They seemed to have originated later, after the official rune rows. Though magically I believe them to be valid nontheless.

Finding information on these runes is hard, though. I found one reference from an Armanen rune user's blog. (Though not an Armanen rune)

http://armanen.blogspot.com/2008/11/...dences-ul.html

More information on the background of these runes would be good though. But I have used them myself and found them valid.

Last edited by Daedralord; 10-15-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 10-15-09   #9
grog

well, i'm trying out varoius runes for mental healing. i seem to have some success with wunjo rune. i think it's because of this- while it is "social" rune, one can't function socially without mental health, and social interaction and mental health are tied to one another, thus it is important to fix one to have another (if one part is broken of course). also wunjo is harmonious force that balances various forces, and imo insanity is mostly unbalanced mind, in which something is blown out of proportion. thus, using wunjo, you will balance things out and restore sanity.
anyway, does anyone else has any suggestions on "mental health runes"? possibly bind rune for greater effect?
grog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-09   #10
Daedralord

Wunjo is a very good choice obviously. You can incorporate it into the above combo of more general healers in my opinion. Then use Wunjo as the direction. One of Wunjo's attributes is sometimes given as the "alleviation of anxiety and distress". States of mind.

Other runes that affect the mind include Ansuz, Elhaz and Mannaz. You will see in that chakra/middlepillar thread you will see there Elhaz associated with the crown and Mannaz with the brow.

To me a big part of using the runes involve how you direct their energy mingled with your own power and intent. You did this with Wunjo where you took the general meaning and applied it to a specific situation.

The runes are powerful and yet their general power can be directed through will and intent. If it makes sense to use Wunjo as a mental healer go for what you feel. I have to say I agree with you there though.