Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Rune Magic

Old 10-16-09   #11
aedria

Default Re: Helm of Awe!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwater View Post
"No evil hath so afflicted the world as intolerance of religious opinion" - Morals & Dogma

Statement's like this are way,way,way too flawed to be any good?

Define evil,or identify your definition?

Afflicted-made it sick(the world)?

Intolerance is maybe too dramatic for what is just a power struggle?
One of those relative things. Touche'.

If "Evil" existed in the purest form, we would not recognize it as "evil". Can a human mind even comprehend such a thing? The "Evil" that we can comprehend is only relative to our experiences or our imaginings of experience. It's here, in material existence, that the inferior mind places "Evil". Something that can be grasped. Intolerance of the religious opinion of another is therefore "evil" in the fact that it hurts to the core the one offended and therefore is made to be "real".

Simply, Morals and Dogma is a great book. However, we must also understand the deeper reason for these writings- to create social men who incorporate themselves into society for the reason of protecting mankind and keeping the peace between themselves. The chapter from which I took this quote relates the sayings of many different systems and cultures to each other in order to show the Masonic aspirant the common vein in several systems of spirituality.
Is not the only spiritual requirement of the Mason in application to the Lodge a belief in a Creator of all things? God of All Things, GOAT?
A very good book for common application and the common man. If nothing further.

I have a little story about this book. I was 15 and skipping class to go to the university library to read. When the truency officer finally found me I was in the library basement curled up on a couch with Morals and Dogma. He asked me "what are you reading?" and I showed him. He smiled and started to walk away. I said "am I in trouble?" and he said "I'd rather find a truent student in a library reading Morals and Dogma than anything else in the world".

Must we always swim in the deepest philosophy? Why not avoid "evil" for the sake of our fellow man? Fraternity is important. As Brothers fight ye!
Old 10-16-09   #12
Eretik

Here's my take on that Runic diagram Series,DW:

It is a representation of the journey through life.Using the Runes/Aett sets as archetypal triggers,keys and developmental guides.

The Aetts are divided thusly:

The first three runes of each of the aetts are representative of the Nornir/Greater Dis : Fehu,Hagalaz and Tiwaz.

All other runes flow outwards from these three,they are the [greater] morning,noon and night divisions of the life cycle.If the morning is youth ,the afternoon is adulthood and the night is seniority.It's your life in a Runic day.24 Cosmic hours.Roadmap of the body,mind and spirit.

It is a guidebook,a pathway of initiation and trial,growth and change.

Each aett has been given a particular keyword in this diagram,I would use different keywords,personally,but I think the theme is the same.

Fehu is wealth;the wealth we are born with,of spirit/body and mind,of kith and kindred and of tribal[cultural] resources.

Devolution may be a confusing term,here, it IS a kind of empowerment,with potential for growth,but it is a conditional and it is dependant on the goodwill and support of others,much as the child depends on it's family.

Hagalaz is the unseen;hidden strengths and flaws and that which we must fight or harness,within and without,it is the wealth or poverty of the self.It makes us take responsibility,we face trials and tests which will make or break character/spirit here.

Transformation is apt.

Tiwaz starts the third,it is the sign of Spirit manifested and the following runes in this aett are the means of it's expression' the wisdom/experience gained through the previous aetts can be utilised and developed to it's fullest here.

It points the way to rebirth and renewal,up towards the shining bow and the North star Ullr.

This is a quick synopsis only and not meant to be authoritive or definitive.Inidvidual mileage may vary.

Also look at the last Runes of each aett also,all are positive and all are related again to the Dis.The connections run laterally as well as linearily too.
I visualise more a web diagram than the U shown in the pic,but it gets quite complex and lengthy to describe that,lol.
Old 10-16-09   #13
Darkwater

Every General on both sides of the American Civil War power struggle were all Freemason's.

Political power struggle can be on par with religious,just should allway's be from a different paradigm as religion & politic's should never be mixed.

If everything is *good* all the time then people get weak & stupid,so some times of hardship,perceived as evil,are then a *good* thing.

Not to be confused with power struggle killing's in fear or ignorance of another group of people,as we cannot accept their reality.

Evil is just relative,too much of an evil thing is as bad as too much of a good thing.

I have no idea what you mean by *pure evil*?heh heh.

For me Socrates nails evil,or that which is considerered evil in his dialogue with the crooked(& thus corrupt) politician Polonius,according to Xenathon(not Plato),it is a big although worthwhile subject.If it dosen't allign with the Socratic reductionist quote that*some evil,or that which some people consider to be evil,is neccessary for people to be *happy*(surely that which they desire most in life(?) & that which Polonius relies on to keep in his job,people to be *happy*).

Surely you must reserve the right to call *bullshit* on people who just want to enslave you,even though this could be portrayed as intolerance?

Great Love,

DW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedria View Post
One of those relative things. Touche'.

If "Evil" existed in the purest form, we would not recognize it as "evil". Can a human mind even comprehend such a thing? The "Evil" that we can comprehend is only relative to our experiences or our imaginings of experience. It's here, in material existence, that the inferior mind places "Evil". Something that can be grasped. Intolerance of the religious opinion of another is therefore "evil" in the fact that it hurts to the core the one offended and therefore is made to be "real".

Simply, Morals and Dogma is a great book. However, we must also understand the deeper reason for these writings- to create social men who incorporate themselves into society for the reason of protecting mankind and keeping the peace between themselves. The chapter from which I took this quote relates the sayings of many different systems and cultures to each other in order to show the Masonic aspirant the common vein in several systems of spirituality.
Is not the only spiritual requirement of the Mason in application to the Lodge a belief in a Creator of all things? God of All Things, GOAT?
A very good book for common application and the common man. If nothing further.

I have a little story about this book. I was 15 and skipping class to go to the university library to read. When the truency officer finally found me I was in the library basement curled up on a couch with Morals and Dogma. He asked me "what are you reading?" and I showed him. He smiled and started to walk away. I said "am I in trouble?" and he said "I'd rather find a truent student in a library reading Morals and Dogma than anything else in the world".

Must we always swim in the deepest philosophy? Why not avoid "evil" for the sake of our fellow man? Fraternity is important. As Brothers fight ye!
Old 10-16-09   #14
aedria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwater View Post
Every General on both sides of the American Civil War power struggle were all Freemason's.
In pursuit of freedom for themselves.

Quote:
Evil is just relative,too much of an evil thing is as bad as too much of a good thing.

I have no idea what you mean by *pure evil*?heh heh
Heh, neither do I. There is nothing Pure, except Nothing.

Quote:
Surely you must reserve the right to call *bullshit* on people who just want to enslave you,even though this could be portrayed as intolerance?

Great Love,

DW
Yes, "Bullshit" rights reserved.

You talk circles around me, my friend. *Bows*
Old 03-15-10   #15
Darkwater

I am just dazzling you with the Helm of Awe bright & shiny,in love.