Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Practical Magic

Practical Magic A forum for sharing techniques of practical magic

Old 10-24-11   #1
Winter

Default Binding vs protection?

So here's a question for all of you.

I'm not one who usually does much spellwork or rune casting at all. I've created protective runic talismans or charms for people in the past, but that was several years ago...

In any case, a friend of mine is in a sticky situation that I want to help with, but am not sure how to.

Her ex husband is an abusive jerk who was not just emotionally abusive, but physically as well. She finally left him after he choked her to unconsciousness, but has to live near him for the sake of their child (they have joint custody).
He is now trying to sue for full custody, accusing her of being a flight risk (she's living in the states but her family is here in Canada), and all other manner of idiotic things. Basically he has tried to make her life a living hell ever since he left her, from arriving late to pick up the kid so she has to cancel plans, to calling children's aid on her with false accusations.

The guy has Asperger's syndrome and is unable to feel compassion, empathy, or much of anything other than his own selfish whims, so he can't be reasoned with.

I'm trying to send her as much positive light and protective energy as possible, but so help me, I'm half tempted to try to "bind" him from causing pain to her. I don't want any harm to come to him, I'd just like to find some way to stop him from doing so much damage to others.

Bad idea? Better to stick with protecting her?
“Life's splendor forever lies in wait about each one of us in all its fullness, but veiled from view, deep down, invisible, far off. It is there, though, not hostile, not reluctant, not deaf. If you summon it by the right word, by its right name, it will come.”
- Franz Kafka
Winter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11   #2
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Default Re: Binding vs protection?

I don't think binding is a bad idea per see, but I would stick with protection so long as that is effective.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11   #3
Winter

*Nods*
That's my gut instinct as well.

Sigh.
“Life's splendor forever lies in wait about each one of us in all its fullness, but veiled from view, deep down, invisible, far off. It is there, though, not hostile, not reluctant, not deaf. If you summon it by the right word, by its right name, it will come.”
- Franz Kafka
Old 10-24-11   #4
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

I personaly wouldn't suggest a binding as odds are you'll end up binding her to him as a third party. Unless you have lived in the scenario and witnessed each and every event it becomes a tricky field to navigate for you really do not know who the instigator of each energy field you'll encounter is.

Even protection can be difficult when there are no clear lines and one uses assumption and emotional attachment vice undetached emotion to create any spell intending to influence or affect / effect the people it is directed at.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11   #5
SunSister
Bog Fairy Fox

Protect her and be there for her. Bindings are a tricky business that can just as easily backfire on you, especially when you're working them on behalf of someone else in your life. (When you do have to work it, though, I advise the presence of naudhiz somewhere in the binding. That's the one rune that'll act out of sheer necessity rather than constrict someone endlessly without need.)
SunSister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11   #6
Winter

Thank you all for your insight. <3
- Franz Kafka
Old 10-24-11   #7
oonagh sidhe

just a thought...while protecting her, maybe send out help for him as a positive way of helping the situation as a whole.
oonagh sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-11   #8
David_2010

I agree, protection is probably what she needs the most, and, your support (which I'm sure she already has already ).
David_2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-12   #9
Calli

I did a spell during my custody battle, that the judge would see through him and his games, and she did. You might try that kind of thing.

I'm a Priestess of Aphrodite and a Daughter of Ares.
I'd love to meet others that know them, too.
Calli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12   #10
Lelitu

really just echoing all that has been said here before
bindings are a risky business at the best of times, and if he has any skill at all, doubly so.
they're too easy to create unintended consequences with.

protection, and most of all just support is the best thing you can do for her
she really needs someone she can turn to through all of this.

None so blind as zie who will not see
Lelitu is offline   Reply With Quote