Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Practical Magic

Practical Magic A forum for sharing techniques of practical magic

Old 06-02-13   #11
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: Curses and Hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
..Most people experience the anger or revenge of another person from time to time. A magical curse is just an extension of that. A complicated extension...
I agree. What has always intrigued me is that it's one form of magic that so many can manifest for short duration's yet never truly realize. Lucky those manifestations seldom last longer than a few milliseconds and are usually unfocused beyond the anger of the moment.

Quote:
It would depend on your own beliefs and knowledge Bartman. Most people who talk about cursing or hexing somebody are just showing off.
Perhaps just my experience but many of those showing off always seem to be teens or very novice practitioners. Those who do know don't say anything they just do, at best telling the subject simply to screw with their heads and use their own energy against themselves.

Quote:
Why did you want to know?
I'm waiting for that answer myself.
MonSno_LeeDra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-13   #12
petrus4
Leaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by feranaja View Post
There are psychopaths out there, and they will hurt you, if you catch their attention, and piss them off. Stay grounded, but stay safe.
My philosophy on this score, is that psychopaths on the physical plane, are the equivalent of Great Cthulhu on the astral. Being gainfully employed, from everything I've ever seen, in contemporary society really isn't all that much different to working with the Goetia. You've got better than average odds of interacting with someone on the moral and spiritual level of the 72 Chief Spirits either way. When I initially evoked Paimon, I could have sworn I was talking to Donald Rumsfeld.

Then again, I've actually grown somewhat fond of Cthulhu in particular, so I don't really want to insult him in that manner; but you get the idea of what I'm saying.
petrus4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13   #13
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Bartmanhomer, As I said before the majority of people who threaten curses are just showing off and trying to be frightening. It is best to ignore that type altogether because they are idiots.

However, a real curse can have serious effects; as Fera has said. In that case you need a lot of training to overcome it. If somebody genuinely feels they have been cursed and they don't have the expertise to fend it off, they should find somebody who does.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13   #14
Bartmanhomer

Quote:
This.
Most people experience the anger or revenge of another person from time to time. A magical curse is just an extension of that. A complicated extension...

It would depend on your own beliefs and knowledge Bartman. Most people who talk about cursing or hexing somebody are just showing off.

Why did you want to know?
The reason why I'm asking this because I'm just curious that's why.
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13   #15
FaerieDust
Dragonfly

WORD HISTORY

The word hex is a good example of the sort of borrowing from other languages that occurred in the English-speaking former colonies of Great Britain. German and Swiss immigrants who settled in Pennsylvania in the late 17th and 18th centuries spoke a dialect of German known as Pennsylvania Dutch. In this dialect hexe was the equivalent of the German verb hexen, "to practice sorcery." The English verb hex, first recorded in the sense "to practice witchcraft" in an 1830 work called Annals of Philadelphia, is borrowed from Pennsylvania Dutch, as is the noun.

a hex isn't necessarily a curse.
Old 06-03-13   #16
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieDust View Post
WORD HISTORY

The word hex is a good example of the sort of borrowing from other languages that occurred in the English-speaking former colonies of Great Britain. German and Swiss immigrants who settled in Pennsylvania in the late 17th and 18th centuries spoke a dialect of German known as Pennsylvania Dutch. In this dialect hexe was the equivalent of the German verb hexen, "to practice sorcery." The English verb hex, first recorded in the sense "to practice witchcraft" in an 1830 work called Annals of Philadelphia, is borrowed from Pennsylvania Dutch, as is the noun.

a hex isn't necessarily a curse.
Bolded mine.

Very true a hex does not have to be a curse or even negative focused magic. It's been some time since I've been to that area of Pennsylvania but I recall hex was used in conjunction with bible based workings more than what one might call pagan sorcery. Very much tied into Pow Wow magics and practices.

It's still found in some area's of Virginia and West Virginia where there was a German presence. We still have areas called Germania, Germany Valley, etc that have many Germanic surnames. If I recall correctly the term Pennsylvania Dutch in error as Deutch was heard as Dutch and sort of stuck as Pennsylvania Dutch.
Old 06-03-13   #17
Bartmanhomer

I have another question, have anyone ever cursed or hexed a child?
Old 06-03-13   #18
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
You know the people here Bartman...
What do you think the answer will be?
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-13   #19
Bartmanhomer

Quote:
You know the people here Bartman...
What do you think the answer will be?
Uh, the answer is yes.
Old 06-04-13   #20
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
Intentional - no
Accidental - yes

As a new practitioner one is bound to cause a minor curse or negative hex upon another simply from trying to do magic. Especially so if the practitioner is still relatively young themselves or learning without the benefit of a teacher / elder to teach them. Your own value system is still being developed and its very easy to give into anger, frustration, envy, etc and act upon any of those motivators.

As an adult it's a bit more difficult to utilize the "Beginner" disclaimer for your own value system should be in place by then. Yet one also has to consider that what is a curse / hex in one system and negative does not meet that criteria in another so would not be seen as such.

I think one also has to look upon the sex / gender of the person doing said curse / hex potentially. My mother, grandmother, aunts, etc would have little hesitation in directing something at either a child or their parents if it was because of something done to their own children. The main difference between them and the males is they would temper the results against what ever outcome they desired to teach or punish with. The males usually would not engage in such an action against a child though the situation would be seen differently against an older teen or adult regardless of their sex.

Though one has to define just what a "Child" is for it could and is often based upon more factors than just physical age.