Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Spiritual and Religious Pathways > Witchcraft > Practical Magic

Practical Magic A forum for sharing techniques of practical magic

Old 06-04-13   #21
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Default Re: Curses and Hexes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
Intentional - no
Accidental - yes

My mother, grandmother, aunts, etc would have little hesitation in directing something at either a child or their parents if it was because of something done to their own children. The main difference between them and the males is they would temper the results against what ever outcome they desired to teach or punish with. The males usually would not engage in such an action against a child though the situation would be seen differently against an older teen or adult regardless of their sex.
Interesting. I can see how this could work in some communities; or does work...
I believe in quite strict discipline for children but I don't think I would ever consider using magic in that way. Perhaps it is to do with the time and the community we live in.

Quote:
Though one has to define just what a "Child" is for it could and is often based upon more factors than just physical age.
Indeed. Some of my responses in this thread have been made with that in mind.

Last edited by Cassie; 06-04-13 at 02:15 AM.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13   #22
feranaja

No, I've never cursed a child, nor laid any kind of magical anything on one.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13   #23
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Interesting. I can see how this could work in some communities; or does work... I believe in quite strict discipline for children but I don't think I would ever consider using magic in that way. Perhaps it is to do with the time and the community we live in.
In some ways it does get real sticky. I think that is one of the reasons it's mostly the women who would do such figuring upon their motherly instinct I suppose. Though in other ways I suppose it also goes back to the old adage of Let them burn their fingers if they won't keep their hands off a hot stove, they'll learn it that way for sure.

The time is one thing but in many of the mountain / deep south rural regions it seems we're still in the old ways of doing things even today. Granted that is changing though yet not for the better in my opinion.

Quote:
Indeed. Some of my responses in this thread have been made with that in mind.
I try to keep it in mind though admit I am also of the opinion if one wants to play lumberjack then they had better be ready to carry the full weight of the log. In that regard age or mentality doesn't usually have much influence upon how they are treated though there might be more forgiveness for youngsters or those who are mentally youngsters.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13   #24
Cassie
Lady of the Left

For the record I don't think I would ever curse a child; tempting though it sometimes is in my line of work!
There are other ways to teach children lessons. None of them can be guaranteed to work all of the time but in general most of them have less chance of doing harm. I am also very aware that often when children are behaving in an unacceptable way there is an underlying cause that needs to be addressed.

The question of performing other magic on children though is more complicated. On the whole I would be inclined not to; however if I could solve a problem or cure an illness for a child by use of magic there would be a strong motivation to do so. Perhaps this question should go in another thread?
Old 06-04-13   #25
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

To be honest I could. I would have no issues about causing a child to experience the pain and fright that they take so much pleasure in inflicting upon others. Sorry some may have mitigating factors such as home life but if you look to many child killers and such there are no such mitigating factors they just enjoy hurting or killing for its pleasure. A pleasure that is most often manifested in their youth. A attitude that is also recognized but typically ignored.

It intrigues me how some will cry foul for instance about someone killing an animal or another person as an adult yet not see or do anything when they first did or do it as a child. In many ways I think our society has a corrupt notion of responsibility and accountability with regards to "Children". An assumption that seems to send us into shock whenever a child killer or such is produced. Then as a society we try to play it down as a freak incident vice something that is far more present than we would like to consider.

But I admit that is the exception vice the norm in how we view children and accountability for them. Then when it does manifest we first try to find the excuse for why they did such, seldom considering there is no reason or excuse that can be laid else where.
Old 06-04-13   #26
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Just as an aside though but one type curse that is being omitted here is the "I Wish _____" type curse that is thrown about a lot. It's seldom a detailed and focused curse but it is still a curse in the sense you wish for something to happen to the person it is directed at. Ironically, usually something negative in application but written off as nonsense since it is based upon "Wish" magics which we relegate to childhood and adolescent age groups.

Yet if one considers any magic to be a manifestation of ones own will power and determination then it is magic manipulation.
Old 06-04-13   #27
Cassie
Lady of the Left

I agree that we have tended as a society to be too soft on children and not attribute enough possibility for responsibility to them. As a result a lot of children grow into adults with no sense of responsibility and have no care for the consequences of their actions.

In the extreme case of children who display lethal violent tendencies I would perhaps moderate what I said earlier and take whatever action I thought most likely to prevent them from harming anybody else.

You are correct in pointing out that we have omitted the "I wish" type off spell from our discussion. I am sure I have used that instinctively many times and as a magical practitioner it has probably been more focused than other people's spontaneous wish spells might be.
Old 06-04-13   #28
Leben
The Peanut Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonSno_LeeDra View Post
Ironically, usually something negative in application but written off as nonsense since it is based upon "Wish" magics which we relegate to childhood and adolescent age groups.
There are still some among us who have not forgotten the real power of wish
Leben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-13   #29
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Just for purpose of discussion I though i'd also add the Dream cast curse spell. From a dream walker perspective it's the vivid but a bit more than the lucid dream state spell that's cast when you dream of another and cause things to manifest upon the physical. Very similar to the I Wish ____ format in that many times its almost subliminal or emotional generated and a spur of the moment type thing.

I think these are a bit more dangerous to a magical practitioner for many times they are subconscious castings. The main hint of them being cast is the dream state where they appear, usually with a sense of getting even or revenge. Almost like a fantasy that is played out but the elements of the dream state are more vivid or the person's presence seems or feels "as if they are there before you!" At times perhaps even a part of a projection or remote viewing type situation.

Perhaps strange, but to me I find that it is used many times for curse's or love spells that border upon lust or exotic states.
Old 06-04-13   #30
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leben View Post
There are still some among us who have not forgotten the real power of wish
While there are many adults who do remember it, I think socially it's so frowned upon that many block it out of their reality. Even undermining their very own attempts to use it on a subliminal level. Almost as if to use it or speak of it is breaking some social taboo.