Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Ritual Magic

Ritual Magic Exploration of ritual magic from the Golden Dawn to the myriad modern offshoots

Old 11-07-13   #1
StoneSeer

Default How do you prepare yourself?

How do you prepare yourself for ritual?

Visit me at http://tarotkristy.com/

"Evolution is a tightly coupled dance, with life and the material environment as partners. From the dance emerges the entity Gaia." - James Lovelock
StoneSeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-13   #2
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

Default Re: How do you prepare yourself?

That really depends upon what type of ritual / ceremony it is.

If it is a special ritual / ceremony then i'll change my diet to nuts and fruits for a few days prior to that. Will mostly drink water and try to cleanse my system. The day before and the day of i'll take a couple of purifying baths with various incense or aroma baths. Many times an actual bath the night before then a final bath beneath running water in a shower to fully wash away any inpurities that linger. I'll also do a lot of prayer and internal reflection and speaking with all my gods / goddesses. I'll select certain types of clothes that I will wear that more often than not is based against the weather but also who I am calling upon.

Part of the 24 hours leading up will also be dedicated to setting up the sacred area i'll be using. That will also include pre-positioning of materials for my fire, candles, any items I will be using as a sacrifice or as a libation. I'll select what type of altar's to use, if I am going to use a natural depression of excavate one for chthonic offerings. Will usually lay the foundation for my fire and select the wood or things i'll be burning. Figure things like cedar, oak, kinlin, fronds or branches, etc.

Normal rituals such as daily offerings, prayers or self reflection nothing really special.
MonSno_LeeDra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-13   #3
Goaty Glee
Cosmonaut

Usually crank some music...Lustmord, Nox Arcana, something dark ambient. Set up the ritual chamber. Sit and be present. Start the ritual.

http://www.lloydkeane.com/-Web Site
North Star Pylon (Canadian Pylon of the Temple of Set)
Goaty Glee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-13   #4
StoneSeer

Personally, it usually takes me days to prepare. Preparation depends on the ritual, but overall usually involves fasting, bathing, yoga, sacred smoke, and long/intense meditations.

For my more spontaneous rituals; prayer, meditation, and possibly even yoga as I'm introducing it into my practice more and more, and sacred smoke.

Oh, and an array of trance-inducing practices.

Visit me at http://tarotkristy.com/

"Evolution is a tightly coupled dance, with life and the material environment as partners. From the dance emerges the entity Gaia." - James Lovelock

Last edited by StoneSeer; 11-08-13 at 08:58 PM.
StoneSeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-13   #5
Katharine
Priestess of the Unseen

Physical and energetic cleansing, a moment of meditation if I need it, and on special occasions even ritual clothing. I'm less formal than many.

For little stuff, I just do it.

May you find what you seek,
Katharine

"The aim of life is self-development. To realize one's nature perfectly - that is what each of us is here for."
-Oscar Wilde

"Why, sometimes I believe as many as six impossible things before breakfast." -Lewis Carroll

Voice In The Dark Blog
Katharine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13   #6
Cassie
Lady of the Left

Depends how big and how formal. There are times when as Alice said, I just do it. Generally though there is some meditation and grounding exercises if appropriate, a shower, some music and physical preparation of the area to be used.
Most preparation is mental and may start hours or even days before the ritual with mentaly aligning myself to the purpose of the ritual.
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13   #7
feranaja

I pretty much fall in line with evryone here. It ranges...I do small rituals daily, such as morning and twilight prayers, offerings to various shrines, and other small, ritualized things that don't require more than a few moments centering beforehand. Lately I've been doing more formal ritual than usual, as I'm trying to wrap my head around the way OBOD Druids do things - it's refreshing, after many years of casting the circle and calling quarters etc in very similar ways (unless you count the Golden Dawn work I did, which was so so very intricate and unique) -- mostly I do solar and lunar rituals in much the same way. But Druidic work is quite different and I think its good for me. (How deeply I will go into it remains to be seen, at this point it is simply enriching an existing practise, it may or may not become my focus).

But yes, for the larger ceremonies I bathe ritually, robe ritually, wear my regalia etc, smudge the area, use the associated colours, herbs and oils, and all that jazz. I love the theatrical aspect, and I truly believe these practises train the mind and deepen the magic. One benefit is, I can often mentally pop into sacred space in a minute or two, partly because I have gone through the full process in more detail so many times. But I feel there is a beauty and a purpose to the preparations, it's certainly not superficial or redundant.

One thing I don't do is fast, as I am hypoglycemic, and I can pass out if I don't eat breakfast on time(the joys and burdens of the highly sensitive...) I gave up meat six months ago, so I don't usually change much in my diet. One thing I will refrain from before a larger ritual is alcohol; I've done workings when I felt the effects of booze, as in HUNGOVER, lol - never again. If I have something big to do, I refrain from alcohol at least several days in advance. And never a working when really tired,I can't remember my own name unless I sleep well. It's just an exercise in absurdity if I'm not rested. So I take precautions, more than anything.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13   #8
Brigidrose
Mermaid

I would for larger rituals do a bath, or if summer, dip in the pool. Most of the time I would just ground and center, then do what I would call a ritual.
At this point in my life I am part of a wonderful class that is teaching me and giving some guidelines that I never really knew before. I am much more "present" when I start and it has overflowed into my life as well. Being grounded has been something I always struggled with...I tend to flit from one thing to another. I am much more aware when I start and finish, and it has made everything much more or deeper than it already was.

~ The reason nothing can truly ever make sense is that it is all fluid. ~
~ To manifest abundance, follow your hearts desire ~

Brigidrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-13   #9
Iret

It depends on the ritual. A daily ritual I basically wash my hands, face, and feet if I can manage it. I then wash out my mouth with salt and then perfume myself.

For holiday rituals I perform I do all of the mentioned, but I also anoint myself before the perfuming. Before that I abstain from sex and take extra care of my mental health. I'm supposed to fast, but I'm hypoglycemic. If I end up menstruating before the ritual I postpone my ritual.

That's just for my religious practice, though. My other rituals are far different and vary from just diving in to observing whatever tradition I follow.
Old 11-16-13   #10
Fethenwen

The best experience I had was when I did go through some ordeal before ritual, I also fasted for 2 days (which was also a wonderful experience in it self). I also did the usual things like cleaning the house, smudging and such.
I can still remember the wonderful smell and calmness of that experience, it's like when fasting all the senses are much sharper.

Hmm, I really should do that again sometime. Usually I'm quite lazy to prepare for ritual, I often post-pone it for a long time, and then when I finally decide to do one, I usually run out of time so I need to prepare myself quickly. No wonder my rituals mostly do not feel very "genuine".
Fethenwen is offline   Reply With Quote