Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Tools and Techniques > Divination

Divination A forum for discussion of any form of Divination not covered by Tarot, Runes, Dreamwork or Augury...

Old 03-31-14   #1
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

Question Why do tarot decks "choose" you, and which one did choose you?

Has anyone ever noticed, especially if you collect tarot decks, that a specific deck will work better than most others, or all others? Almost as though the deck chooses the person… Not that another deck won't work, but just doesn't ever quite work as good as one specific deck - for whatever reason (for me personally). Can anyone relate to this? If so, which deck chose you and how did it happen?

The Renaissance Tarot by Brian Williams was the first tarot I ever used, and I used it on Facade.com for free as an internet thing. (My parents wouldn't let me have tarot when I was a teen in their home). When I moved out, naturally it was the deck I bought as I had already begun to notice from messing around on Facade that I got the best readings from Williams' deck. Since then, I've probably collected around a hundred decks and yet none ever provide the clarity or accuracy of the Ren deck. So that's my deck and that's how I found it… This topic came to me tonight as I was struggling with the DruidCraft tarot, which seems to quite dislike me for some reason (confusing, muddy readings, no clarity or answers). Kris Waldherr's Goddess Tarot also doesn't seem to like me either, although I've got a few copies of the deck in different sizes because I like the imagery.

If I had to pick a second deck that I'd consider the second most effective, it would be The Wildwood Tarot by Will Worthington. My third choice would be the Rider-Waite tarot. The Ren deck is about as upbeat and sugarcoated as the Rider-Waite by the way (which isn't sugarcoated at all - duh), and perhaps that's why it appeals to me - it gives you the cold, hard, blunt truth.

Responses?

--LoT

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
Hibiscus Moon Crystal Academy Website Alumni Page
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©
CrystalHealingCare@outlook.com
www.CrystalHealingCare.com

Facebook:Facebook.com/CrystalHealingCare
Twitter:Twitter.com/CrystalHCareCCH
Instagram: Instagram.com/CrystalHealingCare
LadyOfTheTrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14   #2
feranaja

Default Re: Why do tarot decks "choose" you, and which one did choose you?

I'm working with the WW pretty much fulltime these days. I really enjoy learning new systems - the WW imagery speaks to me so deeply. I've used the Waite for thirty years, I will never not use it, just yesterday I opened, smudged and consecrated a new one, as mine tend to fall apart after (I think the last one was about 15 years, it's really beat up). I have a fairly decent collection but hardly any of them work well for me. I did use the Golden Dawn for years, while I was studying that system, it is very stark and difficult, I found. I don;t want anything sugarcoated but I do need balance. An overly dark deck is as bad for me as a fluffybunny type. The WW gives me balance, depth, animals! and primal energy, it feels like the same I tap into daily in my garden or the forest.

Believe me, I have looked and looked for foresty, Druidy, herbalist type decks and the WW is the one that I am drawn to over and over.I use the Druid Plant Oracle for simple daily draws, too. And a lot of Ogham, but with Tarot it's pretty much the WW and Waite for me.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-14   #3
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

The WW is the best Druidic deck in my opinion as well

Accredited Certified Crystal Healer and Alum of The Hibiscus Moon Crystal Healing Academy©
(Click to see me here located in section for California in the United States of America)

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 04-04-14   #4
feranaja

Whenever I get the chance to actually design my Earthsong cards, they will reflect many of the ideas underpinning Druidry, but with a broader range of symbology. I live very much as a druid - seeking knowledge, attuned to nature and striving to be a better person, but I still don't know that the title *fits* - I may be more of a WildWoman , drawing on both the past and the present for what I know and do. My deck will reflect the undercurrents of all this more than the specific alignment with a tradition.

Women of power walk everywhere, and wear robes of many colours.

Shane Parrish
feranaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-14   #5
LadyOfTheTrees
Certified Crystal Healer

I like you're last sentence. That's really cool that you want to make an Earthsong deck. I'd buy it

Crystal Healing Care©

Old 05-13-17   #6
pomba gira

Old thread, but it caught my eye.
I don't really subscribe to the idea of decks "choosing" people. If a Tarot isn't working for me, there's always one of two reasons - either I need to read up more on the symbolism and get in some more practice with it, or it's just an ill thought-out deck. In other words, it purports to follow a certain system (RWS, Crowley, what have you) but does a bad job of it, as if the artist never really learned to read Tarot.

Some decks are very readable right out of the box. A lot of us find this to be the case with Baba decks - I'll use the Bohemian Gothic as an example, since it's one of their most popular. But Karen Mahony knows her RWS coming and going, and the cards retain those core meanings even if they look quite different. Additionally, a lot of us are already familiar with the old books and movies being referenced in the deck (Nosferatu, The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari, Le Fanu's Carmilla, etc.) so it's easy to see how the theme of a particular card can be seen as a manifestation of the core card meaning. Those who are not familiar can find them online cheap or free (they're old and many have entered the public domain) or google a synopsis, at the very least.

It may be that you don't enjoy looking at a deck enough to make this kind of effort, in which case people say that the deck doesn't "call" them. That's another term I'm not crazy about. Why not just say that we find it unappealing?
pomba gira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-17   #7
Bartmanhomer

I got 15 tarot decks right now. I get they choose me because they want me.
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17   #8
pomba gira

As long as they don't start chasing you down the street.
pomba gira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17   #9
Bartmanhomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pomba gira View Post
As long as they don't start chasing you down the street.
Good joke.
Bartmanhomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-17   #10
MonSno_LeeDra
Shamanic Practitioner

It might sound strange but I do think there is something to the though that a certain deck might choose the individual. But I mean an individual deck not specifically a style of deck.

It goes along with the idea that you might look at say 10 decks of cards that are all the same. Pick each of them up and 9 our of the 10 do nothing for you yet that 10th deck comes alive in your hands the moment you touch it. Other times it could be more visual in that it has something about it that makes it look different to you that makes it stand out and be noticed. Perhaps a printing error, perhaps a color error or fade just something that makes it different and that differences makes it basically choose you by pulling your attention to it.