Go Back   EarthSong Forums > Magical Systems and Practises > Rune Magic

Old 08-16-09   #21
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

Default Re: Rune Meditations

I did my Thurisaz meditation yesterday. I wanted to think over it for a while. There are parts of the experience missing. Anyway, I might repeat some of what DL wrote so excuse me for that. I'm just going to copy an excerpt from the notes I wrote in my journal yesterday.

Thurisaz is one of Thor's names. It is traditionally thought to be an evil rune. In fact it is a neutral rune. The energy can work either way and so caution is advised. I would consider my intent very carefully when using any rune but maybe particularly more so with Thurisaz. The energy of Thurisaz is, of course, immensely powerful. It is a gateway to possibiities where potential may or may not be achieved. The choice is always there but if the challenge is accepted there is no turning back. There is a deep power in Thurisaz that can only favour the brave (IMO), it offers the chance to reach new levels and break boundaries.

I was at the entrance to a tunnel. I could choose to enter or not. If I took the safe option I would stay safe but gain nothing, learn nothing. I could enter the unknown of the cave and take my chances. It could turn out badly or it could become a life-changing experience. Nothing worthwhile is free or comes easily, there is always a price to pay. Risks are necessary and acceptable. I enter the tunnel. Energy begins to build within me, immense potential building up as energy, the pressure is rising, the tunnel is getting very narrow and dark. It is now too tight for me to turn around, I have no option but to go forward. Waves of emotion, layers of energy, all of varying intensity and changing constantly. It could become unbearable at any moment and the tunnel is going on and on......

That's all I'm going to write about Thurisaz. I'm at a loss to describe the way the energy felt in a better way. It was like feeling different extremes at the same time, maybe the feeling of pure potential, I'm not sure. I've always had a feeling that the deep power of Uruz is a temptation leading to the deep power of possibility in Thurisaz.

everything happens for a reason

Nesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-09   #22
Daedralord

Thanks for this Nesta. Always interesting to compare and contrast these things. I agree it is sometimes difficult to describe feelings of energy sometimes I feel like I can relate to the runes or even other magical symbols intuitively. I "know" their energy their very source but putting everything into words is sometimes difficult.

Thank you for sharing.
Old 08-16-09   #23
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

I'm tempted to meditate on Thurisaz again. Not tonight though, I'm too tired. I'm really looking forward to Ansuz

Old 08-17-09   #24
Daedralord

I may be offline for a few days....Thought I would go ahead and post my Ansuz meditation.

Strangely enough reminded me of Uruz and where I left off enwrapped in boundless power. This rune made my head vibrate, and it made me feel very light and there I floated in that place I left Uruz in the boundless energy and now in pure white light. Sitting in a meditative pose. Uruz is the boundless power of the universe while Ansuz is the creative process. I heard male and female voices around me chanting mantras, almost Hindu sounding. As they chanted sound actually shaped worlds it put things together, it ordered things and it provided structure. Not merely to do with sound but also with vibration. Saw singers, poets, bards, politicians and the power of their words to change and effect people.

Ansuz is a rune of the mind, creativity and inspiration. It also sums up very well a subject I hold dear "the power of the word". How words define and shape things. How words make reality. Ansuz reflects many levels from the primal sound to the reflection in everyday reality of creation and shaping through words.
Old 08-18-09   #25
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

I'm looking forward to my Ansuz meditation even more after reading that. I'll do it tonight. Re: the vibrating sensation. I know what you mean, I love it.

Old 08-20-09   #26
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

Ansuz meditation, I've literally just come out of it. I slipped into the other consciousness instantly.

A vision of a wedding band to denote past issues, an image of my step-daughters Mum to denote current issues and an image of a spider to denote future possibilities. I developed a successful method for dealing with issues and I am reminded of this, and that I should use the skills I have.

Ansuz has an energy that can provide clarity. A sense of understanding that can generate into the formulation of a plan to be acted on. It is an enabling rune denoting synthesis, speech and inspiration.

I've read that it means 'vision of the goddess' and I was certainly visited by my lady Freyja, telling me that I am on the right path. I won't say any more about that except that it was very special.

I always see mouths and Ansuz does mean mouth. I also saw ice and fire.

I wanted to write this quickly incase it goes out of my mind. I'll have a think about it and maybe edit my post later.

Old 08-20-09   #27
Daedralord

Makes perfect sense in terms of Ansuz since it is also a mind-rune (Hugrune) and showed you clarity on your own situation and choices past and present.

Everything makes perfect sense including the vision of a divine being. Ansuz may be associated with Odin primarily but remember that in variants it also generally refers to "god" so the rune can basically represent any god and therefore the vision of Freya is not surprising.

Mouths also mean a lot in this context since they are so closely tied with the word and breath and and the associations of Ansuz.

As for Fire and Ice it may or may not be applicable to the rune itself. Perhaps it was a revelation, a symbol. Remember that in the myth fire and ice mixed in the void of Ginnungagap, a creative yet destructive process, perhaps this was like a personal revelation on a situation. You know there are big changes coming and you fear what may need to be done in the process and how destructive it may be in the end. Yet you also know that it means a new beginning or state.

Hope this was helpful. I don't know if it will be...
Old 08-20-09   #28
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

It was helpful, it's the fire and ice part I need to really think about. The rest makes perfect sense to me. You're right about big changes coming, it's like I'm taking a deep breath before I dive in.

Thank you.

Old 08-27-09   #29
Daedralord

I am still continueing with these meditations. And I must say a new insight is slowly dawning in me. With the first Aett I saw the runes as creative shaping forces both in the very act of creation and in human society but the first couple were directly creative. Ansuz formed and shaped the boundless potential of Uruz yet Radho was the order that kept things together. The very force that keeps worlds together and planets in their courses. Ken showed me human society and bringing fire under control and how this developed the human mind and ingenuity and ability to create. The other runes showed me further developments of humans as social creatures but also cohesion and attraction on a wider scale Gebo. Finally, after a period of bliss things need to evolve and I saw the destruction and transformation of Hagalaz, yet this was evolutionary and led to growth. Nyd showed me the human condition and what it is all about. I am really looking forward to the later runes because I think they will actually show the key to transcendence. I will discuss every rune in detail too later. Now at Isa. So still need to write up the other meditation here. I wonder if I am far off in these experiences of mine. Even if I am, these rune meditations helps me internalize the runes and make them my own.
Old 08-28-09   #30
Nesta
The Mighty Owl

I've been leaving plenty of time between each meditation because I'm focusing on another series of meditations at the moment also. I'm too greedy about time I think. Anyway, I feel the need for a rune meditation coming on.